The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Done for the Season  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Boatless in BTV

• IceShanty Rookie
Done for the Season
« on: Feb 23, 2024, 04:26 PM »
I never thought I would be doing this in February, but I just packed away my ice gear and am done for the season. I went and checked a couple of places this afternoon, and though I probably could have fished (Colchester Pond had 3-4 inches of black ice under 2-3 inches of super soft white ice), at 45 degrees and sunny I didn't feel safe being out there. And other than tomorrow, there's nothing in the forecast to indicate we'll get another chance, unfortunately.

Overall, it would be hard to conceive of a more disappointing ice season. I managed to get out twice and caught a grand total of 3 fish (1 pike, 1 crappie, 1 perch). The only positive is the short winter will hopefully mean kayak fishing season will get here sooner than usual this year.

For those of you still out there, be safe!

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Done for the Season
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2024, 03:02 PM »
We still have good ice up in the St. Albans bay area . Hathaway point state access areas and also Georgia town park. Still can't go way out but able to get out into 20 to 30 feet of water. First of the week should be great fishing weather if they bite or not  :)

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2024, 08:52 AM »
We still have good ice up in the St. Albans bay area . Hathaway point state access areas and also Georgia town park. Still can't go way out but able to get out into 20 to 30 feet of water. First of the week should be great fishing weather if they bite or not  :)

Curious to see what the next 10 days does off of Hathaway. Looking like another year with no white perch through the ice

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2024, 09:54 PM »
if you are emotionally devastated enough by this short ice season, consider buying a non-resident NY license and driving over the Crown Point bridge and then finding our lakes in Essex and Hamilton counties. I was on 2 lakes this weekend, 1 had 18" ice and the other had 15"
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2024, 07:33 AM »
I fished bomo yesterday, and if this weeks forecast holds it was likely my last time out on that side of the mountain.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2024, 05:17 AM »
Plenty of small ponds in central VT that will likely hold their ice until mid to end  of March.   Fingers  crossed that the edges break up a bit though.  With my auger being down,  I'm just looking forward to some quality muskrat hunting,  as long as the right places open up soon enough, but slow enough that they don't blow wide open before I get my fun in  ::)
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2024, 03:44 PM »
Yup looks like its over for me. Fished Mississquoi bay sunday on 8-9” of ice……..Today its all water. Wind took it all out fast! Yikes!

Hope next year gets colder.

Good luck boat fishing everyone!
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2024, 07:12 AM »
I am just happy I was able to safely fish last week. Limited to as where we could go, but we were able to fish the whole week on safe ice. Catching 2 pike in the 12.5 and 12.8lb and and buddy got a surprise 11lb bowfin. All released and swimming.    Crazy weather, I am hopeful after 2 years of warm weather we can finally shift back to at least cooler weather next year. I miss fishing a lot of my favorite places on Champlain this year. Already booked our week for next year so fingers crossed for a record ice year next year :-).
Love fishing on your side of the pond :-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.