The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: check in:Wisconsin members  (Read 161876 times)

Offline icemann13

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: check in:Wisconsin members
« Reply #960 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:06 PM »
Just moved near Tomah and fish on the lake here. About 4 inches of ice so far and a few panfish in the bucket. Hope to learn more places close and a few spots on the mighty Mississippi.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #961 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:10 PM »
Checking in again for what I hope to be a successful year of safe fishing! Most lakes I fish in the Dells area have 10 inches of ice.

Offline Flytrout25

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag up fish on🎣
« Reply #962 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:35 PM »
I’m in the north west corner WI between Superior and Ashland... happy fishing all!
There is always time for one more cast!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #963 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Welcome back Kilbourn and welcome aboard Flytrout, icemann, Jeff and Uglymug! Plenty of great ice to get out on. Let us know how you do! Good luck!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #964 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:52 AM »
My son, myself and my sons 2 Brother-in Laws went to Blue Springs lake located by Palmyra, Wi. in Jefferson county, south eastern part of the state on saturday. we caught 4 northerns and 2 perch but the highlight of the trip was a monster Northern Pike my son had on. The thrill lasted 35 seconds and the fish got off at the bottom of the hole. A jigging pole,2lb. test and no leader were the fatal error. Still it was a thrill to be there. I saw the fish on our Marcum underwater camera. What a beast. There now you have the story of the one that got away.LOL !!!

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline AlphaRooster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #965 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Cory AKA AlphaRooster on the  Lac Du Flambeau reservation -Vilas Co

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #966 on: Jan 10, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Welcome to Flytrout and AlphaRooster. If I can be of any help, let me know. If I can't help there is always someone here who can.

HIMO
                                                                Wisconsin Iceshanty Moderator

Offline FlhxTom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #967 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:30 PM »
Tom from Milwaukee

Offline FlhxTom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #968 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:45 PM »
HIMO- do you go to Blue Springs often. Have had a lot of luck there in previous years.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #969 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:08 PM »
Welcome Tom! I've never been to Blue Spring but years ago heard it was a hammer handle hole. Maybe some (at least one) grew up! I love big pike. Almost enough to make me wanna take a road trip!

Offline FlhxTom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #970 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:34 PM »
I wouldn't advise making a trip for big pike at Blue Spring lake. I have caught a few 30 to 32 inches. Most in 22 to 27 range. Lake seems to keep you on your toes and good if your looking to pickle one.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #971 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:52 AM »
That's OK. those 26 - 28"s are great in the fryer too! Used to be before the size limit I'd keep down to 24" for ease of slipping those y-bones out. Gotten better at that over the years too. I know a guy up north keeps 'em all and fillets 'em. No pickled fish for Jim...

Offline ojibwa6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #972 on: Jan 12, 2018, 03:35 PM »
Sawyer Co here , Chippewa Flowage area

Offline joekuhl10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #973 on: Jan 12, 2018, 04:07 PM »
Been trolling you guys and this forum for a few years now, and finally ready to jump in...

Lots of good info, tips, and laughs from this website. I can't thank you all enough.

Coming up to the Minocqua area, Little Arbor Vitae specifically, on Jan 25th. Anyone have any advise of any kind? We are just looking to get on some fish, walleyes preferably, and enjoy the company. We'd be willing to try any lake in the area but our cabin is right on LAV and we've never fished this area.

Thanks again, I look forward to the conversations...

Joe

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #974 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Welcome aboard guys! Ojibwa, I've fished the Chip several times but never through the ice. Looking forward to your reports!

And Joe, can't tell you much about LAV. Hit BAV a couple times for fall muskies. It's always helpful if you add your location to your profile, then we know "where you're coming from". I do get to fish around the St. Germain area fairly often and used to hit the Minocqua chain for 'skis in August for a few years.

Good luck and stay safe!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #975 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:41 PM »
HIMO- do you go to Blue Springs often. Have had a lot of luck there in previous years.

My son likes the lake. I enjoy fishing it during the summer. Icefishing kinda sucks there.

HIMO

Offline joekuhl10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #976 on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Esox,
I'm from quad city area on the Illinois Iowa border, our ice season is often short if we get enough at all. My buddy who started these trips is from Appleton, we used to fish around Crandon but decided to venture to minocqua area this year. We have watched tip ups at Stacks Bay on Minocqua and on Sweeny with good luck but looking forward to fishing out the back door. Would rather fish with pole in hand and with the ability to get on ice early, late, and possibly at night.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #977 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Welcome to Gods' Country Joe! I spent a good part of my adolescence in Iowa 'cept more North Central (Forest City). Moved to Wisconsin with a minor push from my pal. I was coming here every other weekend for something or other anyway.

Good luck on LAV. Just a few miles east is the Rainbow, filled with walleyes and big perch (if you're willing to hunt 'em down). That same "neck of the woods" has Pickerel, Sugar Camp Chain and Big St. Germain. All decent water. Can't say what the slush situation is off hand. You guys have ice transportation or are you walking out?

Offline joekuhl10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #978 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:40 PM »
We'll have a Polaris 4 seater utv type vehicle to get great out and explore different spots. We'd rather not drive out, even if others do, anymore and we don't setup camp until we've found a good spot.
Can we leave a pop-up shelter setup if it's anchored and tagged with owner info? It'd be nice to be able to leave it and go out late or at night without having to set up a shelter in the dark. Plus it's easier to talk yourself out of it if it's gonna be work...
It is God's country and I always enjoy myself but I got a nice little slice of that down here too. Maybe when I retire...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #979 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Don't blame you for not wanting to put a real vehicle on the ice. I generally don't either unless I'm 110% certain. As far as leaving a popup on the ice, legally you'd be good but still at your own risk depending on how much you trust people. Sad to say but stuff can still happen, even in the "North".

And yes, you've got to find ways to be happy where you're at too...  ;)2

Offline eaglea1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #980 on: Jan 14, 2018, 06:58 AM »
Just joined from Oakfield.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #981 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:11 AM »
Hey eaglea1, welcome to the Shanty! Lots of great info and folks here. Pop back into your profile and add your location there, then whenever you post folks can get a perspective of "where" it's coming from.  :tipup:

Offline Scottjags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #982 on: Jan 14, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Hello all. Brand new to the forum and new to ice fishing.  Been making memories with our youngest over the last couple of days.  No fish yet, but well worth the time hanging with our boy.  I look forward to learning a ton from you all. 

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #983 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:55 AM »
Welcome Scottjags, I am located on the opposite end of hwy 60 along the Wisconsin river. Best advice I can give you is ask a lot of questions to the people fishing around you. Most of us are willing to share some info especially when kids are involved. Maybe borrow some equipment from a friend, a flasher for finding fish and a power auger to make moving around easier are great help. Good luck and keep at it.

Lenny

Offline Scottjags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #984 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:07 AM »
Welcome Scottjags, I am located on the opposite end of hwy 60 along the Wisconsin river. Best advice I can give you is ask a lot of questions to the people fishing around you. Most of us are willing to share some info especially when kids are involved. Maybe borrow some equipment from a friend, a flasher for finding fish and a power auger to make moving around easier are great help. Good luck and keep at it.

Lenny

Thanks Lenny.  I have definitely been researching flashers.  For cost savings I ended getting an Eskimo hand auger, but boy that really takes some work.  Although I need the exercise, a power auger may be on the wishlist real soon as well.  Scott

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #985 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:16 AM »
Welcome to all the new members. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. If I can't help, someone here will be able to.

HIMO
                                                            Wisconsin Iceshanty Moderator

Offline Quinnifer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #986 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:38 PM »
Just moved to Sheboygan, looking to do some fishing relatively close by (hour drive or less preferably). Any suggestions on lakes? Not asking for any secret holes, just a little advice and maybe a fishing buddy ;D :tipup:
Itchin' to be fishin'

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #987 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:23 AM »
Welcome to the Ice Shanty Quinnifer. I'm not real close but there are a few options for you to look at. Elkhart and Random lakes on the inland side are within striking distance. If Sheboygan is like Milwaukee, the harbor area may offer some ice opportunities but you'll probably need a Great Lakes trout stamp if you wish to do that, still a bargain.

Pop back into your profile and add your location so folks know where you're at on future posts. Hope someone with more experience in that neck of the woods chimes in.

Good luck to you and stay safe!

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #988 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Wind Lake!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #989 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:47 AM »
We'll have a Polaris 4 seater utv type vehicle to get great out and explore different spots. We'd rather not drive out, even if others do, anymore and we don't setup camp until we've found a good spot.
Can we leave a pop-up shelter setup if it's anchored and tagged with owner info? It'd be nice to be able to leave it and go out late or at night without having to set up a shelter in the dark. Plus it's easier to talk yourself out of it if it's gonna be work...
It is God's country and I always enjoy myself but I got a nice little slice of that down here too. Maybe when I retire...

where are you located Joe, and where do you icefish the most in the state?

HIMO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.