Author Topic: Hummingbird Helix - Tip-Up depth  (Read 484 times)

Offline msobie64

• IceShanty Rookie
Hummingbird Helix - Tip-Up depth
« on: Dec 13, 2021, 09:51 AM »
Does anyone use their Helix in ice fishing mode to set the depth of their tip-ups?  Just wondering how well it might work.
"still looking for the one hookset that changes life"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Hummingbird Helix - Tip-Up depth
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2021, 10:10 AM »
In theory should work fine ..Unless I am missing something with the Hummingbird technology. I do it quite often with my tip downs using my Vexilar...especially if I am raising or lowering my bait after initial set up
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2021, 10:21 AM »
 I always use sonar to set my traps out, get your bait at the depth you want as well as seeing any activity and structure that might be there as well...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2021, 10:48 AM »
I know many anglers that use their sounder to set the depth of their shiner. The few times that I have tried I have found the process too, slow. The system I most often use is; cut hole, drop in transducer, jig, clip-on "Old School" sounder (with the hook exposed to hook and fish that hits my sounder) drop-in hole letting it pull line off the spool pull the line-up, mark with a wire clip, hook shiner, send back down the hole, feeding the line behind the shiner as it slowly sinks down, being pulled down with the least amount of split shot as possible, and once the line is clear (not to the bottom yet), I set the tilt in. Here is the problem using my sounder (not the one clipped to my lapel), it is that long sink and if (as often happens) the shiner swims out of the cone I can see the depth it is at. The sooner I have my "baits" in the sooner I will start catching fish, waiting around for my bait to drop does not catch me fish, so for me, why bother. I could use more split shot, but I don't think that will help me catch fish.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2021, 01:28 PM »
i do not use sounders anymore, I use my finder, just pop the ducer down the hole and watch your bait.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2021, 02:39 PM »
i started using my helix at the end of last season to set the depth of my tip up baits. it works great.  i set the spread at varying depths to see which the fish prefer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.