The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: northern wisconsin reports  (Read 81652 times)

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: northern wisconsin reports
« Reply #270 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Got a report of truck going through the ice on the Turtle Flambeau Flowage this weekend. A Lot of places your looking at 12-16'' of ice, but in this particular spot they only had 1-4''.

Just a reminder to really check that ice before venturing out, even if its -10 out.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #271 on: Jan 20, 2019, 02:59 PM »
It is a flowage meaning water current is always flowing. You better know where the heavy current areas are.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #272 on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:07 PM »
eriksat - did you happen to see the in depth outdoors vehicle driving around in your neck of the woods this past week?? New video coming out sunday is from Hayward. Looks like they hammered some nice crappies.

Yes I watched both shows today in depth outdoors and gilesbie show were both in Hayward area.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #273 on: Jan 21, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Fished on Thursday and Friday, Saturday when we woke up, it was -19 so we said, "hey? Isn't Kurt's Island and AquaLand bar open today?"

Got a couple of walleyes on Thursday, pre-front. Nothing on friday. What's odd is we had a pretty major cold front come through, yet no wind. It was a light breeze to nothing. You can tell things are cold when the snow on the ice get's that crystallized look to it.

Offline Jimmy Bomanti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #274 on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:54 AM »

A buddy and I are heading up to the Minocqua area this weekend.  Can anyone tell me which lakes people are driving trucks on? 
We have no wheeler or snowmobile and will be entirely on foot unless we can drive my truck out to some spots.

Thank you in advance!   

Offline AlphaRooster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #275 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:26 AM »
I was on Gunlock lake Sat because its an easy access and right around he corner from my house,drove my mini van out and jigged and set 2 tip ups-just a pair of crappies and 1 flag and the usual mini perch - 14 " ice .It seems like most of the lakes are being driven on but there are some reports of weird patches this year and they just marked the snowmobile trail under the Minocqua bridge last week so be cautious

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #276 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:33 AM »
I would think by now most lakes should have enough ice to drive on. We are closing in on 18" of ice on most lakes around here. And looks like this coming Thursday low of minus -20° and looks like it won't get above zero for about 3 days in a row. I think we are entering a deep freeze period for maybe over a week straight lows in the below zero teens.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #277 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:03 AM »
A buddy and I are heading up to the Minocqua area this weekend.  Can anyone tell me which lakes people are driving trucks on? 
We have no wheeler or snowmobile and will be entirely on foot unless we can drive my truck out to some spots.

Thank you in advance!   

Talk to Kurt's Island or Rollie and Hellen's. I didn't see anybody driving out up there.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #278 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:37 AM »
If you are talking a river system that is a whole new ball game. Small inland lakes should all be good, but don't take anyone's word for it check ice thickness yourself before driving out anywhere.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #279 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:37 PM »
I'm with erik and 52. Do not drive unless you know. Do not trailblaze. OK, follow tracks but I wouldn't deviate unless I knew what I was doing. Natural lakes should be pretty much locked up but any thing that has the word flowage, chain or reservoir in it is suspect. Even on natural lakes if springs are in play they can be trouble too.

I drove on the Rainbow flowage by St. Germain and had 18"+ in all holes. I was warned to steer clear of a few spots which were well known (at least locally) high current area where you can get into trouble. Last thing you want or need is to dump a vehicle into the drink. It's dangerous, cold, wet and expensive.

If I trailblaze by myself it's a few hundred feet at a time. I drill out front to verify and move forward. With a couple, three guys and drills it's faster.

Keep it on top...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #280 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:54 PM »
That is what we do also, one guy walks ahead 100 to 200 yards and drills holes to check ice then signal to drive trucks up while he walks another 100 to 200 yards and drills holes. Once we establish a safe route we are good usually until spring.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #281 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:36 AM »
That is what we do also, one guy walks ahead 100 to 200 yards and drills holes to check ice then signal to drive trucks up while he walks another 100 to 200 yards and drills holes. Once we establish a safe route we are good usually until spring.

Drove through Minocqua on our way up and a day later to hit Rollie & Hellens, the snowmobile path that goes under 51 was clear and marked with barrels, drove through on Sunday, there were 2 spots marked yellow police crime scene tape where somebody reported thin ice or somebody went through.

Ice is a tricky devil.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #282 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Drove through Minocqua on our way up and a day later to hit Rollie & Hellens, the snowmobile path that goes under 51 was clear and marked with barrels, drove through on Sunday, there were 2 spots marked yellow police crime scene tape where somebody reported thin ice or somebody went through.

Ice is a tricky devil.

Bridges, inlets/culverts, narrow spots or a long run of good narrow with a bend, rocks or vegetation sticking out, aerators or goose holes. Plenty of hazards, often unseen especially after a fresh snow.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #283 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:41 PM »
If there is current even a snowmobile or wheeler may not be safe. It scares the hell out of me to go under a bridge.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #284 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:50 AM »
A car has now gone through the ice on the turtle flambeau flowage. (trude lake).

be careful if you are doing the JD Fisheree this weekend. btw its the last one :( so go hit up some great prizes and support a good cause.

Offline AlphaRooster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #285 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:01 AM »

Offline AlphaRooster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #286 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:03 AM »
bad day fishing for my friend Tim who was visiting from the Green Bay area,havent talked with him yet

Offline AlphaRooster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #287 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:05 AM »

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #288 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:55 PM »
That'll ruin your day...

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #289 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10:38 AM »
I'm heading back up late next wed night. Of course we're gonna get cold again, but who cares? Its fishing. Anybody else been up recently? Been pretty quiet due to the extreme cold.  I'm jonesing to get out there.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #290 on: Feb 02, 2019, 05:53 PM »
Just got off the ice @ Three Lakes. Beautiful day, 22" of rock solid ice. Won't be long and I'll have to look for an extension. Fish are there on the cam but the bite was slow (again). It's kinda that time of year.

I'm headed back south in the morning and then back up on Wed. Gotta move snow (coming) for mom and then it's a few days on Plum. Good times!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #291 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Looks like we have snow moving in on Thursday, a fair amount too. If I don't fish thrusday, at least I'll be up for some clean up.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #292 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:16 AM »
They knocked the snow forecast back a bit but still 3 - 5". I hate walkin' around in snow over up to (or over) my knees. I'll be on the ice at least part of Thursday and all day Fri. and Sat.

UPDATE: Geeez... I just looked again. 3 - 5" on Tuesday, that again on Wed. and again Thur.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #293 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:41 PM »
Another brutal, far below zero Saturday, in the books. Saturday was -26F wake up and clear until the sun peeked over the treetops. Didn't get much better but did climb into the double digits, though not over 14F, while the sun was out. 25" of ice with good foot of snow on top. Depending on where you were it was slush or not and even then not terrible.

Slow fishing but did pound a 21" walleye and a few 26 - 28" pike. Our guys put up a 2nd place walleye (should kept it thawed on the way in) got bumped by an eighth of an inch and the big crappie @ 11.25". Lots and lotsa fun. Fresh pike poor man's lobster for "appetizers", 9 racks of baby backs, big tub o' chicken drummies, chips, a dozen kinds of beer, good whiskey, apple pie and a coupla cigars. Only 3 pike over 30" with the big @ 36". Not a stellar pike day.

Another good performance from the MMM/8" KD combo in extreme conditions. It's all good as long as you don't push it. Let the auger do the work and you won't be disappointed.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #294 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:52 AM »
It was -27 by me saturday when I first woke up, went back to bed, got up at 9 and it was still -22 and never got above 5. We shoveled, roof raked and drank. And holy balls did we get lucky on the drive home. We missed the 51 pile up by 10 minutes max. Glare ice on the way up on Wed, snow storm thursday then the cold fri-sat. I drilled one hole. It was 25-26" easy.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #295 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:39 PM »
Prior to yesterday's snow the lakes were still pretty easily accessible with 4WD in Rusk County. Got on a good panfish bite Saturday morning. Was mostly confined to the shanty with it being close to -20 out. After this snowstorm, vehicle traffic will be tough without a plowed road...
Da Pack!

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #296 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Yeah, not bad driving Saturday.  Seen some all-wheel drive cars getting out on unplowed lakes without too much problem. Good traction. As long as the snow doesn't get up to the bottom of the truck it should be decent driving again this weekend.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #297 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:13 PM »
Been hearing some nasty stories about some bad slush conditions up in NE WI. Has anybody heard differently?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #298 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:25 PM »
Had some spotty slush on Plum @ Sayner last (not this past) weekend. That was before the additional snow on Tuesday. I can't imagine it got better.

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #299 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:04 PM »
All nasty in the NW.  Slush spots/deep snow.  Without a plow road, there is isn't much good that can happen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.