The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: northern wisconsin reports  (Read 81649 times)

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: northern wisconsin reports
« Reply #330 on: Nov 02, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Appreciate the updates! Thank you!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #331 on: Nov 02, 2019, 12:25 PM »
I noticed they will be rebuilding Gooches Aone Bar!. Cool place it was.

Anyways, Was out removing some piers and was breaking through .5'' of ice in bays. Some smaller lakes almost froze over. Larger lakes just starting to freeze in the weeds and shallow bays.

Weather going to be colder next week down to the single digits. Fishing will come early this year if the snow can hold up for a month.

Time to put the boat away and get the ice gear out I guess.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #332 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:24 PM »
This forecast makes me "not grumpy"!  :clap:

:tipup: :icefish: :tipup: :icefish: :tipup: :icefish:

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #333 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Looking more like January than the first week of November, less than two weeks ago up by me on Palmer the water was 43.5°. By this weekend there could be ice fishing in our bay. Insane how fast the ice went off last year and how fast it's going on this year.  Knowing my luck, it'll be mid 50's during my 2 week vacation over Christmas.

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #334 on: Nov 06, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Gotta be positive!
We could stand not having this snowfall in SE Wisconsin

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #335 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:41 AM »
Guys are fishin' today on Pokegama (Chetek).

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #336 on: Nov 10, 2019, 07:14 AM »
Cool picture. The shadows of the men go to the left of the hole, making it look like tracks of a vehicle of some kind abruptly disappearing into a big hole in the ice! :o

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #337 on: Nov 10, 2019, 09:48 AM »
We have smaller lakes over here by Hayward totally iced over now. Might be on ice fishing sometime this week.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #338 on: Nov 10, 2019, 10:29 AM »
Cool picture. The shadows of the men go to the left of the hole, making it look like tracks of a vehicle of some kind abruptly disappearing into a big hole in the ice! :o

Haha! You are right about the shadows. I sent the pic to my daughter at college and her response was "Oh no, did someone fall through the ice" because the puddle hides the hole.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #339 on: Nov 11, 2019, 08:23 AM »
I'm going to check some ice tomorrow. Going down to minus -2* tonight.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #340 on: Nov 11, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Our whole lake (125 acres - 28 feet max) is frozen shore to shore with only a couple qet spots I can see. Chipped a good inch @ shoreline. With the forecast we should be seeing 4" by this coming weekend.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #341 on: Nov 11, 2019, 02:21 PM »
Bad news 52. Drove up past Conover today on a fact finding mission. There's a good 4 - 5 inches of snow on the ground already and the forecast has lake effect snow @ 6 - 12 by morning. South of Conover there's maaaaaybe 2" with nothing else comin' down this far. Could be a season long slush fest by you.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #342 on: Nov 11, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Was out on the Yellow River Flowage in Spooner Saturday between bow hunting sits. 3 1/2" of ice there and caught some small pike and panfish but nice to get out on the ice. Probably closer to 5" now after today. Checked a few other lakes around Spooner and found 1 1/2"-2" on the small ones I checked Saturday.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #343 on: Nov 12, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Talked to a St. Germain local before I left today. He was finding 3 - 5" on the Rainbow. Pretty sure not everywhere but maybe in one of those protected bays off the main water (like the launch just offa J) but he did not divulge the exact location. Other guys out in the same area in portables so should be easy to spot with a drive.

As far as the heavy snow up there I didn't go back to see what it looked like. NW Vilas was supposed to get the worst of it and what there was didn't weigh anything, all powder. It's makin' big ice this week though. Saw a couple open areas (small ones) on the way back on Pelican but the rest was all iced over.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #344 on: Nov 12, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Cherokee is a go down here

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #345 on: Nov 13, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Bad news 52. Drove up past Conover today on a fact finding mission. There's a good 4 - 5 inches of snow on the ground already and the forecast has lake effect snow @ 6 - 12 by morning. South of Conover there's maaaaaybe 2" with nothing else comin' down this far. Could be a season long slush fest by you.

Great, I was considering taking the tracks off the ATV this season and seeing how that goes. Guess that would be a bad idea.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #346 on: Nov 13, 2019, 10:04 AM »
was out 2 nights ago. had about 3''.

Still some pretty sketchy ice yet.  Some open water spots may have just skimmed over so there is some thin spots to look out for.  Even with the cold temps, i feel the snow is slowing the process down a bit compared to if we had glare ice.

earliest ice ive ever been on.  ;D

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #347 on: Nov 14, 2019, 08:39 AM »
No snow on the ice here. I’m going out this afternoon for walleyes. I’m guessing at least 4” of ice by now on the lakes that have been frozen for better than a week now. It hasn’t been above 32* for a week, and we had minus -5* the other night.

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #348 on: Nov 16, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Walked out yesterday on a smallish lake and bucket fished. I'd forgotten how nice it is to drill thru 4-5" of ice rather than 2-3 feet. The lake gurgled and cracked the whole time. When it cracked near me the water in the hole would slosh just a little bit. Heard a pack of coyotes for a short while. Caught enough crappies for a meal. Wish there were more days like that! ;D

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #349 on: Nov 20, 2019, 01:45 PM »
I noticed they will be rebuilding Gooches Aone Bar!. Cool place it was.

Anyways, Was out removing some piers and was breaking through .5'' of ice in bays. Some smaller lakes almost froze over. Larger lakes just starting to freeze in the weeds and shallow bays.

Weather going to be colder next week down to the single digits. Fishing will come early this year if the snow can hold up for a month.

Time to put the boat away and get the ice gear out I guess.

Quick update on Gooch's A1 in Boulder Junction. They started the footings and want to have all of them done before winter really settles in. When I spoke to him in October he was still settling things out with his insurance, the kid's dad's insurance and the kid's grandmother's insurance. Good news though.

Offline WIcrappieguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #350 on: Nov 27, 2019, 08:45 PM »

Vilas county slabs were on fire before this snow hit.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #351 on: Nov 29, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Sure didn't need 12" of wet/heavy on top of the few inches of good start. Another 6 -12" comin' over the weekend too. Lookin' to be a slush-fest of a season  >:(.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #352 on: Dec 20, 2019, 11:26 AM »
I'm heading up in three days and the outlook is miserable. 6" f slush, 1ft of snow and sketchy ice. The guy who owns Bent's Camp in Land O Lakes is putting out barrels on the Cisco Chain for snowmobiling, so there has to be a decent amount of ice over there. We'll see.

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #353 on: Dec 20, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Good luck 52! Appreciate the followup report. Will be up between the holidays and will give a shout here on how things go. Stay safe out there boys and girls!

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #354 on: Dec 25, 2019, 01:29 PM »
Headed to Stoddard this weekend, How's the ice holding up with this heat? Also, is it safe for Quads?

Thanks for any info.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline eastchannel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #355 on: Dec 26, 2019, 11:08 AM »
For Stoddard check with the marina/motel facebook page. Just north, Lake Onalaska has 5-8" ice but with current running through the lake, you never know.
Wheelers are out in some areas, fishing has been ok.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #356 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:45 AM »
We just got back last night from Land O Lakes. The weather wasn't bad last thursday when we got up, but man was it a roller coaster of crap after. Fished friday afternoon/evening. 3 small eyes on 5 flags. All at dusk. Fished saturday in the pouring rain, nothing. Sunday the ice, sleet and grapple started, so I stayed home and did an oil change and added heated grips/thumb to the ATV. Monday, fished in a white out. Just Perch fished and did pretty well on Wigglers. Tuesday morning it was a blizzard, tuesday afternoon was 30mph winds.

Travel wasn't as bad as I thought, but after seeing heavy slush, I didn't wander out past 2 miles. The ice was sketchy as hell. I drilled my first hole 100 yards off the landing... 2 layers of slush then ice. Most I found was 8", but measuring was difficult. The least I found was 1", which was also at the bottom of 2 slush layers and scary as hell with a half a ton of gear and atv sitting on it.

I'd say be prepared for slow travel, check the ice often on the way out and have really good boots. I could keep my atv above the slush by moving really slow, but once I hopped off, I was ankle deep in water.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #357 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:35 AM »
I want that ATV
Da Pack!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #358 on: Jan 03, 2020, 02:11 PM »
Good looking rig, sucky conditions!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #359 on: Jan 07, 2020, 11:42 AM »
Hit up the Turtle Flambeau flowage yesterday. Weather was nice. Fishing was slow.

Ice was bad. Many layers of thin ice. Felt comfortable on foot, but would not recommend going by sled / wheeler / truck. Although there were many sleds running around.

Its going to take a long cold stretch to get things back in check.

Be safe out there guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.