The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: northern wisconsin reports  (Read 81645 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: northern wisconsin reports
« Reply #300 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:38 PM »
And another 5 - 8" coming this weekend. Hope the bubbleheads are happy.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #301 on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:05 AM »
It's a mess up there. I had about 24" of snow on my roof before last weekend. We went up last wed night and it took 5.5 hrs from Germantown. Fished in deep snow and about 6-8" of slush under it. We bailed out last friday afternoon to beat the incoming disaster. Ice dept is good at about 26", but you need to either use an extension or dig 10" down to not have to use one.

I'm going to head back up the first weekend in April for Perch.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #302 on: Mar 21, 2019, 08:05 AM »
After this weekend I’m thinking you should be able to drive out again up here. I drove out last Sunday and almost got stuck in deep snow/slush. We had 26” of ice, the bottom 20” hard clear ice. If warm weather melts off some of the snow / slush 14* temp Monday night should freeze everything on top solid again I’m hoping. Still lots of good panfishing ahead.

Btw 52 I shoveled off 41 inches of snow in spots off my garage roof.

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #303 on: Mar 24, 2019, 07:59 AM »
I had a solid 18" of hard ice up here yesterday.  Need to be careful though, the holes that people opened during the week are starting to creep.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #304 on: Mar 25, 2019, 10:30 AM »
I had a solid 18" of hard ice up here yesterday.  Need to be careful though, the holes that people opened during the week are starting to creep.

Insanity. I hear conditions are getting very good again for lake travel.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #305 on: Mar 25, 2019, 12:50 PM »
I saw a bunch of people out on the lake today, the slush must have hardened now. I had 4* at my house this morning.
Should be no problem getting out now, as long as the shoreline holds up.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #306 on: Mar 26, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Was out on the TFF yesterday and about a week ago. And its about the same. Top frozen ish layer about 12'' (snow, ice, water, slush all condensed and seems its been freezing and thawing and freezing and thawing.) Under That is about 16'' of solid clear ice.

Had the sled out both times. found no slush. everything was rock solid. Shorelines were still snow drifted. I'm sure some shorelines are more sun beaten but its not going anywhere soon. Anyone want to start taking some bets on ice out? Ill toss in a dollar and say its dock time right after Easter.

Btw fishing was decent :) Favorite time of the year for me to fish! Warm, sun burnt, and raising slabs all day.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #307 on: Mar 26, 2019, 12:07 PM »
I'm heading up to my place within the next week or so. BIG perch coming!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #308 on: Apr 08, 2019, 12:57 PM »
I got into some nice crappies Saturday had 18” of ice, bottom 12” clear solid ice.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #309 on: Apr 12, 2019, 11:34 AM »
Heading back on Tuesday. One last shot for big Perch.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #310 on: Apr 12, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Yesterdays snow was heeeeavy. Hardest the snowblower worked all year. Melting fast though. Had about 6 - 7" here @ 3 Lakes. Lotsa wind with it so it really piled/packed in places.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #311 on: Apr 16, 2019, 08:02 AM »
The snow has pretty much melted back down to bare ice now. I might give it one more try for Crappie tomorrow after work. Might possibly need a plank to get out off shore, but I do know of a steep shady shore line that holds ice a long time.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #312 on: Apr 22, 2019, 08:31 AM »
I got out one more time last Wed.  Bought a clearance 1 man Eskimo to pull out because the ATV was not going out on that.  Ice was about 12-14" once you dropped 3" through the thin layer, then water. That's scary stuff when you break though, but I drilled about 20 holes on my way out about a mile and the ice depth was about the same everywhere. Got a few flags, but nothing fish-wise. Storms chased me off wed evening, thursday was cold and rainy, so I said I'm done. Great to get out one more time!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #313 on: Jun 28, 2019, 12:48 PM »
Well fellas we only have about 170 days until we'll have safe ice for sure. Around Dec 15th. Of course, we could ave safe ice by Thanksgiving, but to play it safe, mid December. Hope all is well in everybody's summer.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #314 on: Aug 23, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Lotsa folks feelin' the change in the weather. When I drove down from 3 Lakes yesterday must have seen a dozen and a half sleds on trailers plus 3 crankdown shacks going "somewhere"...

On the lake Wednesday afternoon water temp dropped almost 3 degrees between 3 and 9 pm. Sure feels good!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #315 on: Aug 24, 2019, 12:50 AM »
almost time for the big gills here       having a garage sale here today mostly ice fishing stuff new check CL Madison and yeah IS members get better deals

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #316 on: Sep 04, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Lotsa folks feelin' the change in the weather. When I drove down from 3 Lakes yesterday must have seen a dozen and a half sleds on trailers plus 3 crankdown shacks going "somewhere"...

On the lake Wednesday afternoon water temp dropped almost 3 degrees between 3 and 9 pm. Sure feels good!

I haven't been up since the 4th. Been way too busy with the kids, work, settling in-laws into assisted living and moving ourselves into a new house. Nothing like getting stuff for the upcoming season. I bought a new cover for my Eskimo 1 man and am getting itchy now.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #317 on: Sep 04, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Last Wednesday we had 65* water temps @ Three Lakes already. I'll be back out tomorrow, Friday and Sat. on sugar Camp Chain and I know it will be cooler than that. Usually haven't been seeing 65ish till med-Sept. so a good two weeks or better ahead. I know, it can always warm up but I can dream can't I?

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #318 on: Sep 23, 2019, 12:24 PM »
Indian summer last week has an impromptu trip North next week (to get that fall feeling going). Hitting Big Saint primarily to chuck for Musky with my brother. Should have a report soon enough. Probably going to spend some mid-day periods venturing off to other future ice destinations to do some graphing.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #319 on: Sep 23, 2019, 06:34 PM »
Just got home from Three Lakes/Eagle River. Water temps actually warmed up a bit from two weeks ago. I found 66 - 71 degrees depending where you were on the Chain (ER). Still, it's gonna keep cooling down. It's time.

Muskies were tough for us on Saturday though the field of 46 boats posted 19 fish with one team accounting for 4 of those. Sunday was better. Moved 9, boated two shorties and had a 37 and a mid to high 40s to the boatside but couldn't convert the anxious follows. Both were juniors and he is not particularly adept at figure 8s. he sure had fun though. That big one was the biggest he's ever had follow.

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #320 on: Oct 03, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Certainly felt like fall on Big St. Trees (especially on the north shore) turning colors. Water temps 58-60 degrees. Overcast and rain/drizzle the whole time we were up. Overnight temps in the 40's.

Moved fish all over the lake on blades, topwaters, and even threw some wood. Blades converted for us though in the end. Weeds still green in most areas. Fish are looking stocky and putting on the weight!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #321 on: Oct 03, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Nice trip Chad! We'll be up next weekend multi-species more or less. Still finding 'skis shallow or all over? I've got my son and his buddy so will probably target eyes and pannies mostly, I'll have some pike medicine along and the boys will probably want to dabble in a little casting exercise for 'skis. Probably won't last long. Gonna be coooold.  ;D

Potential targets include Pickerel, Big and/or Little St., Rainbow. Wherever the urge takes us. Once I move up to that area Plum is a draw for me. Mebbe tough but not a nut that can't be cracked  ;)

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #322 on: Oct 04, 2019, 11:10 AM »
The Musky were contacted in both shallow and deep water. Breaklines with weeds (boat in 18-20 with weeds visible on side imaging) and bait seemed to possess fish that were more 'keyed up' and willing to chase. Others were low-n-slow just being curious. One came off rocky point on a weighted Suick as well but flared and missed the bait, then stopped completely still for 2 min. Wouldn't spook off and wouldn't chase. Cool to watch though. Good luck with your guests aboard!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #323 on: Oct 04, 2019, 02:28 PM »
The Musky were contacted in both shallow and deep water. Breaklines with weeds (boat in 18-20 with weeds visible on side imaging) and bait seemed to possess fish that were more 'keyed up' and willing to chase. Others were low-n-slow just being curious. One came off rocky point on a weighted Suick as well but flared and missed the bait, then stopped completely still for 2 min. Wouldn't spook off and wouldn't chase. Cool to watch though. Good luck with your guests aboard!

Thanks for the info Chad, greatly appreciated!  :thumbsup: It's a whole week away and things can change but based on those water temps and the upcoming weather we'll have to watch for lakes that are turning. May have to just keep poking around till we find one that's on.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #324 on: Oct 09, 2019, 03:30 PM »
Thanks for the info Chad, greatly appreciated!  :thumbsup: It's a whole week away and things can change but based on those water temps and the upcoming weather we'll have to watch for lakes that are turning. May have to just keep poking around till we find one that's on.

What did you get for water temps Esox?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #325 on: Oct 11, 2019, 08:20 AM »
Stay tuned 52. Winter jobs @ Moms have kept me off the water.  ::) I'll be out later today  ;D

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #326 on: Oct 12, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Brrrrr! 33 and snow wakin' up in St. Germain this am. Water temp was 48 - 50 depending on what part of the lake you were on. Should be syrupy by the end of next week the way the forecast looks.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #327 on: Oct 30, 2019, 01:05 PM »
Was up with Mrs last weekend. Gorgeous weather, bit breezy, but gorgeous. Water temps dropped from about 43.5 to 42ish.

Stopped by Gooch's A1 and looked at the hole a while. Earlier in the summer some kid he kicked out for being a minor drove back to the bar, did doughnuts in the parking lot and hit a power pole, which then started the bar on fire. Total loss.  Ran into him at breakfast at the Grainery in Boulder Junction, he said he's looking at getting footings in before Christmas, so that's cool.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #328 on: Nov 02, 2019, 09:46 AM »
Today @ Three Lakes:

It's happening...  :clap:

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #329 on: Nov 02, 2019, 09:49 AM »
  :thumbsup:
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.