Author Topic: Huron "Lake"? In Houghton  (Read 826 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Huron "Lake"? In Houghton
« on: Nov 04, 2010, 11:53 AM »
There's a pond up behind Walmart in Houghton, I think its called Huron Lake. Was wondering if anyone has any information on it like if you can fish it or if there are even fish in it. Thanks

Offline rricchi

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Huron "Lake"? In Houghton
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2010, 08:03 PM »
You're refering to the Huron dam. I'm not sure if there is water in it anymore.  There wasn't the last time I was there, in the nineties.  Huron creek (the one that runs through the Houghton beach area) runs through there, and used to be dammed up. There must have been a break in the dam and all the water ran out decades ago.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2010, 09:44 PM »
I don't know if it was the Huron dam. The creek that runs through Houghton does go through it though. Its behind Walmart a little ways off of Huron road. I think it was built as part of a wetland restoration project or something. I was just there last year doing some water quality sampling of the river for a class I was taking at Tech. There was water in it, looked like it got at least 5 or 6 feet deep about 10 feet from shore. Not sure about max depth though.

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2010, 11:31 PM »
That is/was Huron dam.  Way back before the development of the mall and W/Mart there were sunfish and chubs but nobody kept them.  With all that mine tailing stamp sand it probably could have been a Super fund cleanup site like Torch lake or the Houghton breakers.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:48 AM »
Ya, that is probably true. I was looking more to catch and release, but there are still probably better lakes in the area to try. It just caught my eye because its not very far from my apartment and wouldn't be that far of a walk.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.