Author Topic: Your best tip  (Read 92341 times)

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Your best tip
« Reply #330 on: Jan 06, 2022, 08:25 AM »
When the catching is slow or nonexistent, try to cook/eat or something else you enjoy. You will be likely to miss a fish and if you're lucky enough, they may even be willing to interrupt everything you have started.

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #331 on: Jan 16, 2022, 10:09 AM »
Always, always have a spare change of all clothing for everyone left in your truck.   And bring at least 2 pairs of gloves on the ice.  Cold + kids = short trip.
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #332 on: Jan 16, 2022, 01:15 PM »
I rigged up a couple of elastic cargo nets that I use to cover everything in my sled once I’m done fishing. No more lost gear getting off the pond in bad weather, or in the dark!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #333 on: Mar 15, 2022, 10:50 AM »
If you fish outside and want to use braid, bring a small thermos of hot water to dip your top guide(s) in
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #334 on: Oct 10, 2022, 07:36 PM »
If you do not have a tent/shack save your money and buy at least a tent. Fishing and staying warm adds comfort to your fishing and adds hours of fishing time especially if you are taking kids fishing.

Offline kpoorman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #335 on: Nov 11, 2022, 06:07 AM »
Have as many lines in the water as your state allows. Gotta be one of the best feelings when you have 3+ rods firing at once!
skippin' class to fish

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #336 on: Jan 22, 2023, 02:34 PM »
One of the best tips I can give is to learn how to use a slip bobber. I have the venom and ice buster styles with the line slide under water so it does not freeze. They are particularly handy when teaching kids to fish as you can set the depth for them and every cast the lure will be at the right depth.........or when ice fishing every drop will be at the right depth. The visual of slip bobbing adds a whole new excitement to fishing  and they work great when you want to work a weed edge or part of reef when the wind is blowing the right direction. Also works great when calm, you can cast to a weed edge/drop off and the lure stays right where you want it controlled depth at its finest.  In winter I have seen people jigging with no float and are constantly missing bites because the fish has not inhaled the lure enough................ .I have watched this on the underwater camera watch and sometimes in winter a walleye and other fish many have to (bite/inhale) a lure two or three times before it is in enough to set the hook.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #337 on: Jan 22, 2023, 07:39 PM »
I have used slip bobbers for a while now. Using them was a tip I got from an acquaintance.

The small lakers that we catch are picky eaters so it's smart to watch the bobber sink, not just wiggle and bob. I much prefer the clip on type. During this long wait for ice I have made some of my own that are easier to clip on and off than the foam type.   
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #338 on: Jan 22, 2023, 08:19 PM »
I started with those foam clip-on bobber, and keep a good stock in my tackle box. I also added some spring bobbers to my rods this year. The dancing of the foam bobber can tell you if a predator is making your minnow go into 'evade' mode, the spring bobber gives away the slightest nibbles much more easily.

If I'm trying to hang to a specific regular depth, especially if I'm dead sticking, the float bobber all the way. Easy to see from a distance, entertaining to watch. If I'm targeting specific marks on the flasher, I like the spring bobber. Great when actively jigging, helps tell hits even on the fall, and helps compensate for the lack of sensitivity in cheaper rods.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.