Author Topic: Ice Anchor for Flip Overs  (Read 3511 times)

Offline odabe

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Anchor for Flip Overs
« on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:28 AM »
What are you using to prevent the Flip Over style shanty from taking off in the wind when you're not inside it ?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Anchor for Flip Overs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:45 AM »
Most just screw in an anchor and toss their tow rope over it.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2019, 12:16 PM »

DN

Yep, that's what I do.  If the wind is stiff enough to lift the front up even with my wind bar installed, I will screw another anchor down inside the shanty at the front door so the T-handle catches the conduit frame.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2019, 02:16 PM »
I use 1" conduit clips , hook them over the cross bars and screw in my anchors.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2019, 05:37 PM »

Yep, that's what I do.  If the wind is stiff enough to lift the front up even with my wind bar installed, I will screw another anchor down inside the shanty at the front door so the T-handle catches the conduit frame.

DN

I do both these and never worry. Worth the 5mins to do it and piece of mind
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2019, 11:41 AM »
i don't keep my auger in my flip, so i use it for an anchor on windy ways. drill a hole so the auger leans into the wind and leave most of the auger out of the ice and toss the rope over it. watch out for sunny days, it may melt some ice with the auger in the hole. the drills weight being at an angle keeps the auger from turning and bottoming out in the hole. i keep plastic shopping bags over my drill and battery. only thing sticking out is the chuck.
i also keep two eskimo ice anchors with me for a fall back option. too bad they don't make a self healing rubber option that would allow you to run anchors inside the shelter. i made holes for my suitcase shelter and so i run 2 to 4 anchors in those holes i made in each corner.

on bare ice or with next to no snow ice and windy days i drill holes and kick the shavings to where the tub will be and make a bed for it to sit on. also helps keep wind from coming in from under it. it's even more important if using hy-fax runners. you can make extra holes to make a thicker bed.

i just heard a buddy had a mishap. he was out alone on a lake with the winds gusting to 60 and fished what he thought would be a wind break using a tree line and at the bottom of a valley and he took a ride with both ice cleats throwing ice while he was turned around and trying to push back at the wind with his hands on the tub. he said there was no way he would let go of it and fought it. he got pushed a long way before he could handle it. he was inside of it with it closed down to the ice.

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2019, 11:16 AM »
Hope you friend wasn't hurt but I have to LOLOLOLOL!  You just reminded of the time, my brother and I were fishing in a suitcase shanty.  It was very windy and he had to take a sh - -.  He said, you go outside and hold the shanty and I'll use my five gallon bucket.  Sooooo, I went outside and grabbed the shanty.  The winds were a good 40mph and gusts of up to 60-65.  All of the sudden a gust ripped the shanty out of my hands and all I saw was shanty, a--es and elbows rolling across the ice.  When everything stopped, about forty yards away, I ran over to see my brother climb out of the shanty.  He had ch-t halfway up his back.  I laughed so hard I thought I was going to literally bust a gut.  In fact, I laughed all the way to the truck.  The laughing stopped however, when we got going down the road.  Let's just say I quickly turned the heater off and opened all the windows.  That's when he finally started laughing!  Sorry for hi-jacking the thread but I just had to tell that story one more time.
Lol, great story, sounds like a long ride home.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2019, 11:50 AM »
i took a hell of a ride once in my clam suitcase as well.....note to self "don't EVER not screw your hut down "
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2019, 12:12 PM »
Just open the flip over when you get out if its windy.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Just open the flip over when you get out if its windy.
But then you still have to make sure that the top is secured.  A strong wind can flip it back up and send your shack sailing...my 'buddy' has the video!  I'll always make sure I screw in an anchor and then flip my pull rope over it. less than 5 minutes for some good insurance against a long chase.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Mine is usually attached via a rigid hitch to the snowmobile, but if I do take it off I put an ice climbing screw into the ice and attach the tow hitch to that.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I use an ICE ANGEL on my tow rope. If it is windy, I drill a hole (up wind) 3/4 of the way thru the ice and anchor the ANGEL in the hole. Move the sled til all the slack is taken out of the line and then flip over.

Where's the FISH?!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2019, 06:10 AM »
Drill hole in ice. Have a piece of pipe or board just a bit bigger than the width of the hole. Tie rope to it and push it down hole. Once it is under the ice pull up till it is tight against bottom of hole. then tie to shack. Old school.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2019, 07:30 AM »
 Piece of flat stock aluminum drill hole off center attach a carabiners ,  drop in pull tight has served me well for over 3 decades
 the tub connection washers on the inside , I also use the tub to tow others shacks

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2019, 08:24 AM »
Ice screw with a short length of cable to eyebolts on the tub.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.