The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Just when we're getting good ice...  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Just when we're getting good ice...
« on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:03 AM »
they have predicted a significant amount of snowfall for PA. I sure hope it doesn't mess up the ice, especially those lakes with marginal ice. I enjoyed pulling my sled over glare ice, but guess that's gonna end.
Ken                                          

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Just when we're getting good ice...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:36 AM »
Pulling on glare ice is nice, but fishing on glare ice can be a pain, especially if the wind is howling. Bring on the snow ;D ;D ;D
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:42 AM »
That's what ice anchors are for. I don't have to worry about my tip-ups getting covered up on glare ice when the wind is blowing like I do when there is snow on top. I also don't have to worry about the slushy snow sticking to the bottom of my sled on glare ice. And snow being an insulator, we'll have less ice growth. SNOW is a 4 letter word to me!
Ken                                          

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:42 AM »
Up to a foot man that is going to suck if we get that much, if you have a chance to fish the fronts for crappie should be a blast.

Snapper

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2007, 07:49 AM »
We get that much snow It'll be bucket in one hand auger in the other, I ain't pullin my trap in that much snow.  >:(
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:39 AM »
I say keep the snow in NY where it belongs. (sorry ny guys)
       Jim

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:41 AM »
If it is a dry powder snow then with the winds they are predicting it may just blow around the lake.  Now if we get sleet or freezing rain on top of the snow then the snow will be going nowhere.   :-\  I'm with Bean, I kinda liked dragging the sled on glare ice.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:44 AM »
I say keep the snow in NY where it belongs. (sorry ny guys)
       Jim
My buddy has 2 trailers in Mexico that we stay at when we fish Ontario, he went yesterday to check on the place, I hope the roofs didn't cave in, they had over 9', unbelievable.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:34 AM »
The positives of snow is that it can add some white ice.  Also, I truly believe that the fish bite better with a layer of snow on top, at least for me they seem to.  My guess is that even on bright sunny days under snow cover the fish are less wary of predation on them.

Negatives (in addition to those mentioned above), more work for the hand auger guys, some people (I won't mention) might recognize my sled tracks and find me  ;D
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline icepal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2007, 12:05 PM »
Supposed to get real windy hopefully it will all blow off.  I myself don't like deep snow its tough to get my short legs up and running for flags.

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2007, 12:22 PM »
Up to a foot man that is going to suck if we get that much, if you have a chance to fish the fronts for crappie should be a blast.

Snapper

What does everyon think will happen to the fishing after the fronts?  I won't be out until Friday or Saturday.

Also, I don't want to be a pessimist, but the long range forecast is for highs in the 50's here in SE PA in two weeks...... :'( :%$#!:
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2007, 02:31 PM »
hell theres no point in complaining at least theres still ice to fish on!!!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:26 PM »

Also, I don't want to be a pessimist, but the long range forecast is for highs in the 50's here in SE PA in two weeks...... :'( :%$#!:

You have to figure on that one scansy... in two weeks we'll be on the heels of March already. I guess we all knew that it would be a short ice season this year... gotta make hay while the sun shines (in other words, get out and fish while you can).

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:41 PM »
Yeah, I guess when it hasn't barely been above freezing for two plus weeks, it's easy to forget that March is coming.

We needed this cold weather earlier.  And running longer.

I'm thinking something like Labor Day to Memorial Day  :o

But I would settle for Thanksgiving to Valentines.
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:03 AM »
Bean said that snow is a great insulater, and that is true. BUT that is a 2-way street. Having the snow on top of 4-6 of ice means that there will be 4-6 inches of ice for a longer time. With the snow there, the sun and extreme temperatures will have less effect on the ice. From what I have read, there is good ice on a good portion of the lakes in PA. The snow on top of this good ice will keep the ice thicker, longer. Just my $.02 of course, Happy Fishing Guys.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:16 AM »
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO confused  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:56 AM »
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO confused  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :blink: :blink: :blink:
Don't be confused, just fish while ya can.  ;D ;D

MikeThePike

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Only things about the snow that I hate are gonna be pulling my sled tomorrow and the fact today will most likely be the last day theres fishable ice on the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers. Hopefully the walleyes are gonna be on a tear in a little bit when I go down to the Susky.

Offline HomerJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:32 PM »
Where is there ice on the Delaware??

MikeThePike

« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:22 AM »
I was out just above the RT80 bridge on a slower section of river and saw guys out off the water gap just before you get into PA.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2007, 04:03 PM »
I like the fresh snow on the ice, walking 1.5 miles is hard, but the rewards are worth it..............The two days after the storm treated me well, and I got to see all those fancy 4WD vehicles off the road on my way up......

80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2007, 04:20 PM »
Just to clarify, and maybe I'm a bad person, but when I made the above comment about fancy 4WD off the road;
On Thursday morning, around 4am, when the roads were as bad as they could possibly be, I was on some backcountry road going 10 mph and this idiot in a hummer was tailgating me. So I puled over, let him by, and a couple miles later I saw him in a field with his four ways on, should I have stopped to help him? or should I have gone fishing?

I went fishing ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • VEX, is sure an expensive depth finder..
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2007, 05:34 PM »
nice fish byron ;D   I would of kept driving, just like you did.

so was this a private lake?  didnt see anyone is the backround.  good looking perch!
The more fish we release, is more fish we all can catch.  b/c we all like to catch.   Catch, Photo, Release!!  Such an easy concept, but so hard for others to understand!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.