The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice  (Read 2087 times)

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice
« on: Dec 15, 2020, 04:40 PM »
The duck swamp had .25" of ice on it tonight....that was fun.  It will be interesting to see how this week goes. Will heavy snow on open water cause ice to form faster or slower?

Offline packman111

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:02 PM »
Well... ice needs something to "attach" to or "seed" itself on so... my vote would be snow on open water would be a good thing for that reason?

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2020, 05:51 AM »
Let’s hope that the forecast for snow is wrong or that it is light enough snow that the heavy winds blow it off. With it just capping most lakes last night the heavy snow has me nervous.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2020, 08:15 AM »
Let’s hope that the forecast for snow is wrong or that it is light enough snow that the heavy winds blow it off. With it just capping most lakes last night the heavy snow has me nervous.
Agreed.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2020, 01:34 PM »
Our local lakes aren't capped yet, so I'm hoping the foot of snow we're forecasted to get will help cool the water even more.  Then fingers crossed for a quick freeze up after.

I wouldn't doubt that enough snow could break up the ice on the lakes that just froze.  Or just push the ice down enough that it melts.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2020, 01:57 PM »
Makes sense to me.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2020, 02:15 PM »
Snow is a great insulator which is fantastic when you have solid ice cover you want to keep. The flip side is even several in of snow can almost completely shut down ice making even when the temps are teens and lower. Once ventured out on a local lake; it was sunny and well below freezing. The night before was mid teens; four in. of solid ice but anywhere there was snow there was standing water underneath and that was only about 4" of snow. Stayed on the windblown area and only got one fish but stayed dry. ;)

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Our local lakes aren't capped yet, so I'm hoping the foot of snow we're forecasted to get will help cool the water even more.  Then fingers crossed for a quick freeze up after.

I wouldn't doubt that enough snow could break up the ice on the lakes that just froze.  Or just push the ice down enough that it melts.
Makes sense to me too. Im thinking the snow in the open water will turn to snow ice. With the extreme cold temps. It should make clear ice under it. Without the wind keeping it open ??

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2020, 06:50 PM »
Let's just hope it works out that way capt. Time will surely tell. Stay safe out there.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2020, 03:59 AM »
Maybe just maybe somewhere this weekend....
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2020, 07:24 AM »
We should be getting "Teaser" ice in the Southeast. That's when the lake(s) cap and get an in. or two only to melt off and start over. Of course two in. would probably be enough to get some nut jobs out on Ontelaunee. ::)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2020, 07:51 AM »
Makes sense to me too. Im thinking the snow in the open water will turn to snow ice. With the extreme cold temps. It should make clear ice under it. Without the wind keeping it open ??

Snow falling on open water has little effect on capping a lake. 

To turn water into ice not only must enough heat be removed from the liquid water to reache 0 C, (32°F), the latent heat of fusion must also be overcome.  (Sort of like paying a cover charge before entering a night club.  All the entertainment's inside but there's an upfront cost...)

Each snowflake, already being frozen, draws heat from the liquid water in which it melts.  But the energy transfer is miniscule even in a blizzard.   The air temperature would freeze the lake sooner than dumping in all the snow that fell in Williamsport in the winter of '77...

How much ice would you have to put into a glass of water to freeze it solid?
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2020, 11:56 AM »
Our local pond had 2-3” of ice on Wednesday before the storm. I drove by yesterday and the entire lake was flooded. You could see all the snow on top was now SLUSH. I’m betting it froze solid overnight and is now safe as it was sitting on2-3” of Black ice. I plan on checking with my spud tonight after work.

This is what it looked like before the snow

Where's the FISH?!

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Lucky!  You must live in the east....

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2020, 01:48 PM »
Yep- NEPA- Pike County.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2020, 02:04 PM »
Yes, he lives in NEPA, and everyone on Ice Shanty is invited to his house to go ice fishing!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2020, 02:06 PM »
Yep- NEPA- Pike County.

Smokin...that's very neighborly!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2020, 02:14 PM »
All you Minnesotans are invited, especially those that have quotes from a dead language.  ;D
Rutt is the real deal.   He fishes harder than anyone I know, except maybe for Spider.... 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2020, 02:36 PM »
Yes, he lives in NEPA, and everyone on Ice Shanty is invited to his house to go ice fishing!

LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2020, 02:40 PM »
All you Minnesotans are invited, especially those that have quotes from a dead language.  ;D
Rutt is the real deal.   He fishes harder than anyone I know, except maybe for Spider....

I can;t hold a candle to Spider................ ...................... ...that dude will fish ALL DAY on the Lake, even when he doesn;t bring a lunch!  :o ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2020, 02:51 PM »

OK, but I am nominating you for the REFRESHMENT COMMITTEE, so you need to bring and make enough sausage and peppers sandwiches for everyone!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2020, 03:29 PM »
I can't catch anything, but I always bring enough food for everyone!    And one of these days, I'm going to catch one!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2020, 07:43 PM »
Ok- PARTY at Promised Land tomorrow!  ;)

See REPORTS page!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.