The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Things that make you go hmmmm!  (Read 1633 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Things that make you go hmmmm!
« on: Dec 24, 2019, 07:15 PM »
I was out on the lake this morning when a guy drives up to check the ice with his young son. (Guessing he was 8 or 10 y/o)

The father walks out a couple steps and stomps on the ice with his foot a couple times. No spud bar, no ice picks, no float suit or ice creepers.

I told him there was 4.5” where I was. He then says he wasn’t sure if there was any safe ice, so he didn’t bring all his gear.

WHAT?  ???

I think to myself................ .if I wasn’t sure about safe ice, 3 things I would definitely NOT leave at home would be my SPUD, my ICE PICKS and my FLOAT SUIT!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Things that make you go hmmmm!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2019, 07:34 PM »
One thing I would leave home if unsure of ice is the young son.lol

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2019, 07:38 PM »
I’m surprised the guy didn’t tie a rope to his kid and have HIM go out to check the ice!
What’s wrong with some people?
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline rlusk3030

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2019, 12:19 AM »
ya scary what some people think is an acceptable way to check ice. I always air on the side of caution and take all my equipment. Before I had a spud I wouldn't go without a partner with one.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2019, 01:49 AM »
First of all, I would never bring either of my kids out on ice to see if it is safe.  I could not live with myself if something happened to either one.  I agree not to go check ice by yourself, but the person should be able to go and get help if something happens.  When I check the lakes, spud bar, rope, auger and another person are taken with me.

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2019, 02:15 AM »
 "No spud bar, no ice picks, no float suit or ice creepers."

Why would he need any of these??? He "drove up" to you. Was he driving a bike?

This is classic ice pirate manuvers in Minnesota…... ;)

fieds

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2019, 06:39 AM »
 One of my favorites:guys 'checking'  by spending 5 minutes throwing rocks out on ice. ::) That said,you meet all kinds out there,hopefully they learn before they or someone else gets hurt.Maybe we can help them along the way. Merry Christmas to all.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2019, 06:46 AM »
I had 2 conservation officers walk about 300 yards to check my license early in the season. When they approached they asked how the ice was. You should have seen the look on their faces when I said "every bit of 2 inches"  One almost took of running.  Had a good laugh after they calmed down. Also had a discussion about their lack of safety equipment. Both had life vests but no spud or picks. This was in Indiana early in the season where the ice is normally sketchy at best
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline lovethoseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2019, 08:33 AM »
I didn't see it myself but it's about two of my friends.  One took the other ice fishing for the first time.  They walked to the end of a pier on a private lake and the newbie was afraid to go any further.  The other friend got on the ice and walked out about 15 feet and said it's "OK, see" and jumped as high as he could.  When he came down he went straight through the ice and up to his neck in cold water.  The other guy laughed so hard it took some time to help the ice tester out.  This happened about 20 years ago and the expert is still know as the "ice tester".

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2019, 09:43 AM »
LOL! Good stories! The “ICE TESTER”..............love it!  ;D

I should have said..............he drove up to the launch to check the ice.

He asked how the ice was further out and I told him I didn’t know- just knew it was safe HERE. So he and son stayed close to me. I wondered what he would have done had I not been there, but suspect he would have stayed where the old holes were.

One thing I will give him credit for is the kid stayed on shore as he “checked” the ice.

I guess it just amazes me how some folks just don’t know the basic safety techniques and take chances that we never would. 🤪
Where's the FISH?!

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2019, 09:45 AM »
Wow Ruttnutt...can't grow this sport effectively and safe when the dad is stomping on da ice to test it in front of da kid... days how bad habits start... right before Christmas what a Christmas present

Chute82

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2019, 12:12 PM »
Had a guy ride up to me on an ATV once on a 90 acre lake, near the middle. He then asked how thick the ice was. ::) In his defense he stopped far enough away I probably wouldn't have gone in with him. But really?

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2019, 01:00 PM »
Wow Ruttnutt...can't grow this sport effectively and safe when the dad is stomping on da ice to test it in front of da kid... days how bad habits start... right before Christmas what a Christmas present

You just gave me a GREAT idea! I got my spud bar at Cabelas for $20. I think I will get another one and keep it for a spare. If I ever see somebody testing the ice with their foot again, I will ask them if they have a spud bar. If they say no, I will say MERRY CHRISTMAS and give them my spare.(and explain how to use it)  In fact, I may even get a set of picks and give those with the spud bar if they don’t have them.

A nice way to “pay it forward.”
Where's the FISH?!

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2019, 01:30 PM »
You just gave me a GREAT idea! I got my spud bar at Cabelas for $20. I think I will get another one and keep it for a spare. If I ever see somebody testing the ice with their foot again, I will ask them if they have a spud bar. If they say no, I will say MERRY CHRISTMAS and give them my spare.(and explain how to use it)  In fact, I may even get a set of picks and give those with the spud bar if they don’t have them.

A nice way to “pay it forward.”
    :tipup:  :thumbsup: :tipup:

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2019, 06:09 PM »
I was out on the lake this morning when a guy drives up to check the ice with his young son. (Guessing he was 8 or 10 y/o)

The father walks out a couple steps and stomps on the ice with his foot a couple times. No spud bar, no ice picks, no float suit or ice creepers.

I told him there was 4.5” where I was. He then says he wasn’t sure if there was any safe ice, so he didn’t bring all his gear.

WHAT?  ???

I think to myself................ .if I wasn’t sure about safe ice, 3 things I would definitely NOT leave at home would be my SPUD, my ICE PICKS and my FLOAT SUIT!  ::)
ya Know I used to send my son out on the ice with a rope on him to cut holes & check the ice. Thinking back that was really stupid of me.  But being I am over 300lbs. I know my son could not have pulled me out.  :o

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2019, 06:55 AM »
That's why I don't cut holes to check the ice. I use the spud and I know if I can hit the ice 6 or 7 times before hitting water, it is probably good. Once I get a hole big enough for my gaff, I put it down and measure the ice.(I have it marked in inches coming up the shaft from the tip of the hook- just "hook" the lip of the hole and measure up.)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline walikilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2019, 07:20 AM »
My son sent me a screen shot of a Facebook post. Two guys drilling holes on Wilhelm 12-25-19. NWPA Ice Addicts. In the picture they have no float suits on and there is no signs of a spud bar or ice picks. One can almost hear them calling out for RuttNutts generosity. Hmmmm!

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2019, 07:35 AM »
 Scary stuff , when they ask , I say if you had a spud you would know it’s only 1.5”s and I stop them short so they can’t see how thick , I’ve had them tell me I’m nuts for fishing such thin ice,  DUH
 I mark my spud 3”s above the top of the chisel

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2019, 07:47 AM »
My son sent me a screen shot of a Facebook post. Two guys drilling holes on Wilhelm 12-25-19. NWPA Ice Addicts. In the picture they have no float suits on and there is no signs of a spud bar or ice picks. One can almost hear them calling out for RuttNutts generosity. Hmmmm!

Sounds like they could use it. Unfortunately, I'm on the other side of the state. Maybe someone out there will see my idea and run with it..................

Just checked and Cabelas still has their "ice chisel" for 19.99  I will be driving by there tomorrow, so I plan on stopping and picking one up on the way thru.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2019, 08:02 AM »
I did something similar last year with a few differences:

1. I had spud bar
2. I had picks
3. I left my 10 year old daughter on the bank with cellphone in hand in the event something went wrong

I was confident the ice was safe, otherwise i would not have had her join me. She doesn't need to see me go through...

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2019, 06:31 PM »
Awesome  situation  awareness  and safe mindset  for early ice and contingency in place

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2019, 06:48 PM »
She doesn't need to see me go through...

Amen! 👍🏻
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.