The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Umbrella Rig / Ice Fishing  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Cold Ice Rod

• IceShanty Rookie
Umbrella Rig / Ice Fishing
« on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:39 AM »
 Just wondering if anyone has tried using an umbrella rig for ice fishing!  ???

Offline Petros

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Umbrella Rig / Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:15 AM »
How big a hole u plan on drilling? If it’s anything like I’ve seen the bass pros use, you may need a 2 foot diameter hole!

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:50 AM »
Whoaaa!!!! be careful, the finger waggers are right around the corner  :whistle:
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:09 AM »
 Close ... I sometimes put on a modified high - low rig with droppers near the bottom and some higher up. Don't use them often cause it's a pain in the butt having hooks everywhere...  ::)

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline Cold Ice Rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:26 AM »
Whoaaa!!!! be careful, the finger waggers are right around the corner  :whistle:
I have some homemade ones that will easily go through an eight inch hole.

Offline Cold Ice Rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:26 AM »
How big a hole u plan on drilling? If it’s anything like I’ve seen the bass pros use, you may need a 2 foot diameter hole!

I have some homemade ones that will easily go through an eight inch hole.

Offline Cold Ice Rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:00 PM »
No offense, but why would want to go ice fishing with an umbrella rig?
It was just a thought I was kicking around. The ones I made were smaller set ups for crappie trolling or casting. Just wondered if anyone else had tried this on the ice and had any luck. Also, I'm a newbie here and don't understand the term "finger waggers".

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:08 PM »
oh, you'll learn fast soon when they come out of the wood work here like zombies in a bad horror movie to criticize your post because it may not meet regs... you cant get a word in edgewise with them and they gang up on you like flies on crap and you cant even have a normal discussion. there's a handful of us on here that deal with them tho and shut them up so ppl can just talk without fear.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:38 PM »
 There is no longer a limit on the number of hooks on a line.

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:11 PM »
Referring more to the hole size, lol. it was a joke. But ppl take it seriously. Be warned and ignore them, Have fun experimenting on the ice and seeing what works for you and make your trip fun.. You wouldn't believe the ppl here that are more worried what's in OTHER peoples' buckets than their own. Enjoy!!!

Chute82

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:10 PM »
They make a three minnow rig and a two minnow rig spreader..never seen them used here but the Canadians use the for whitefish.  Yes they fit through a 8” hole

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sub-zero-ice-fishing-3-way-line-spreader-0788040p.html

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/2-way-line-spreader-0788039p.html#srp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/2-way-line-spreader-0788049p.html#srp

Offline Cold Ice Rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:11 AM »
They make a three minnow rig and a two minnow rig spreader..never seen them used here but the Canadians use the for whitefish.  Yes they fit through a 8” hole

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sub-zero-ice-fishing-3-way-line-spreader-0788040p.html

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/2-way-line-spreader-0788039p.html#srp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/2-way-line-spreader-0788049p.html#srp
Thanks for that tip, the umbrella rigs I made have five wires very similar to the Canadian set up. I was thinking of trying them with the jig heads with grubs, but if that don't work I will also try them with the minnows.

Offline Petros

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:49 PM »
I take umbridge to the subtlehusle post. Want trying to troll was just wondering what was ment by an umbrella rig in regard to ice fishing. I’ve seen the bass pros use them and he’ll yes they look like Xmas trees. Sorry if anyone took offense. None intended!

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:57 PM »
I take umbridge to the subtlehusle post. Want trying to troll was just wondering what was ment by an umbrella rig in regard to ice fishing. I’ve seen the bass pros use them and he’ll yes they look like Xmas trees. Sorry if anyone took offense. None intended!

Dude, I wasn't complaining about your post. I'm an advocate for saying what ever the hell u want on here (except prayer circles, religion doesn't belong here) and warning you about the finger waggers, lol. I don't care how big you drill your holes, how many fish you keep, how many hooks you use or what drugs you do in your hut, I with you man!!!

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:10 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm surprised they didn't jump all over you guys... I attribute that to maybe I finally shut them all up, or that there is ice now and they are fishing (which means when they get back and see this they may unleash on you), or a combo of both. I'm stuck at work though and will get out Wednesday to start my season. As always I will post the lake I'll be on, my hut description in case anyone wants to discuss stuff in person.

Offline Cold Ice Rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:54 PM »
oh, you'll learn fast soon when they come out of the wood work here like zombies in a bad horror movie to criticize your post because it may not meet regs... you cant get a word in edgewise with them and they gang up on you like flies on crap and you cant even have a normal discussion. there's a handful of us on here that deal with them tho and shut them up so ppl can just talk without fear.
subtlehustle76; are you talking fishing regulations? PA Fish Commission changed the regulations a while back to accommodate umbrella rigs. Took me a while to find the new reg last year (2016) searching the Fish Commission web site I found where it was proposed to allow more than 2 hooks per line quite a while back, and later found that the proposal went through sometime a while back. After seeing folks use umbrella rigs on YouTube I became interested in them and decided to check to see if they would be legal in PA.

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:00 PM »
Eh, I just meant in general, like the joke about a 2 ft hole, etc... It was a tounge-in-check comment. Ppl get nutty fast on here when you joke or even are legit. Read thru all the posts.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:08 PM »

Relax Petros. Seems some folks are overly paranoid regarding simple observations. I've used umbrella/Alabama rigs open water and you'd either need a giant hole or have to wrestle 'em out if you got a fish.

Additionally (this only another observation) to stay on the fun side of fun, check your regs for best results Here in WI, if I have three individually hooked lures on my rig that's it. Rules say three hooks, lines or lures and because it's widely accepted that you can catch more than one fish on that type of rig that singular presentation becomes my "three lure" limit. Other states have similar regs while some do not.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:10 PM »
The reason PA lifted the ban is because who cares how FAST you catch your limit. You still have a limit (of fish).

Offline Cold Ice Rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:21 PM »
I'm really not concerned how fast I catch a limit since I enjoy the time outside, just more interesting when I'm catching instead of just fishing.

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:23 PM »
Exactly, that's why they lifted the hook rule. it's your problem if you limit out in 10 mins, lol. Their rationale was everyone had a limit of fish, so why limit the hooks?

Chute82

« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:39 PM »
Thanks for that tip, the umbrella rigs I made have five wires very similar to the Canadian set up. I was thinking of trying them with the jig heads with grubs, but if that don't work I will also try them with the minnows.

My buddy used one perch fishing with minnows..was doing really well until something broke on his line..

Offline digdog23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:05 AM »
My question is...Doesn't the hardware tend to hang up on the edge of the hole?

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:21 AM »
My question is...Doesn't the hardware tend to hang up on the edge of the hole?

Yes, use a Sabiki-type rig.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2018, 12:42 PM »
 Hooks will still catch on the hole, your clothing and everything in the sled at the end of the day - unless you take them off .... LOL.  I used a modified drop shot with extra hooks(both on droppers and on the main leader). Never caught more than 1 fish at a time anyway.

Offline dbs5014

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2018, 03:41 PM »
I tried an umbrella rig once ice fishing and it was a pain.  Like mentioned, it got hung up a lot when bringing it to the hole with a fish on one of the hooks. The pickerel I was catching would sometimes get more than one minnow so you would have to deal with lines getting tangled up as well.  Maybe if it were a different setup than what I was using, it would work better but I don't plan on trying it again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.