The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: HOW LONG DO WE HAVE?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
HOW LONG DO WE HAVE?
« on: Mar 10, 2015, 06:03 AM »
STARTING TO GET UGLY WITH THE AFTERNOON MELT AND SLUSH. NOT MUCH FUN WITH THE RUN OFF GOING IN THE HOLES ALSO. STILL HAVE 20+ IN MOST PLACES YET WITH SNOW TOPPING WHERE I FISH. I NEED 5 MORE TIMES TO MAKE IT 40 FOR THE YEAR.

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HOW LONG DO WE HAVE?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2015, 07:23 AM »
Should get at least another week if you have a ladder or 2x4's to get onto the ice

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2015, 08:55 AM »
This is ice rotting weather for sure. I plan on getting out this weekend but it'll probably be the last for this season. :'(

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2015, 03:26 PM »
It all depends where you fish.  The holes I drilled yesterday were frozen solid this morning, about 1/4 inch think.
sparky

Offline Sun Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2015, 11:52 PM »
Probably 2 more weeks in the NE unless it gets cold again.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2015, 03:45 AM »
According to the weather channel it's going to get colder at the end of next week.  Keeping my fingers crossed and time to get to the gettin while we can.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:06 AM »
We will be on the ice the weekend of the 21st, if for nothing more than to make this season another "4 months on the ice" season.  First day on the ice was November 21, so march 21 will be 4 months.  Last year, we started at the end of November and made it to April 2nd, just a tick over four calender months.  If we make it to April, that will be November, December, January, February, March, and April - 6 named "months" without being technical, just like last year.

That's the way you look at ice season to add an extreme factor, and last I checked, Pennsy is pretty far south in the line of ice making states, and yet 6 months, we have ice.

Even my best in Alaska was October 12, 1997 and Memorial Day 2002 or 03.  That's only two named months longer than us southern boys. 

I guess we really don't have it that bad.

Now the long shot - last year, i ice fished on opening day in the southeast - Minsi was still frozen and I just had to drop a line just to say I did it.  This year, opening day is March 28 for me, it'd be nice to do it again, but hoping minsi stays safe for the opener is a long shot, but imagine, doing the opening day thing thru the ice 2 years in a row.  Another extreme point.

Then let it all melt.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2015, 11:53 AM »
I like how you think.  I only wish we would get the full six months of ice fishing.  Oh who am I kidding, I could ice fish every day of the year and not get enough.  My plan to make my season as long as possible is I'm going to swap out my sled for my Jon Boat, load my gear in it, and use it to get on and off the ice.  Yeah I know I'm nuts about and totally addicted to ice fishing.

Offline Bukshot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2015, 12:45 PM »
I hit up a lake here in Central Jersey this morning for a couple hours.  3-4 inches of slush and mess on top, but still almost 9 inches of black ice underneath.  Will definitely be good up North for through the weekend anyway.  I'm thinking this Saturday will probably be my last time out for the year.  Can't complain.  It's been a great Season so far.

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Shenango lake's shoreline is shot.  They have raised the water level.  The spot I fished today was 8 foot most of the season, today it was 10 feet deep.  They have all the gates open letting out water as of 9 AM.  With the rain forecast Saturday the lake will be done for the season.
sparky

Offline Susky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Edges on the smaller ponds around here don't look good.  Gonna be 15 tonight but almost an inch of rain Friday night into Saturday.  I think I'm putting everything away for the season.

Offline mikelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Miser, what lake where you on ice on November 21st ?

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2015, 06:50 PM »
ITS OVER JOHNNY.....  ITS OVER ;D ;D
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:17 PM »
Miser, what lake where you on ice on November 21st ?
Leisure Lake just north of Marshalls Creek. 

Earliest I have ever been on the ice in PA.

There's actually a few of us here on iceshanty that will mark March 21 as "four months on the ice."  Last year too.  We should start a club.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline mikelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Leisure Lake just north of Marshalls Creek. 

Dr. JM

How deep is that lake?

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2015, 06:17 AM »
5-6 feet at the dam

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2015, 08:41 AM »
I was standing on Promised land lower lake on the 22nd. Wasn't there long, the guppy cops came along and kicked me off, said the ice wasn't safe and I agreed. It was 3 inches and cracked with every step. Then I went to Tobyhanna, fished for a couple hours on 4" of ice... got skunked but it was my first day on ice this season. The 21st will be close enough to say 4 months, if the ice is still safe.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:01 AM »
THIS FREEZE LAST NITE MAY HAVE EXTENDED IT A COUPLE DAYS EVEN WITH THE RAIN COMMING TONIGHT.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2015, 03:51 AM »
I was out today and the lake I was on had 14 inches of clear ice below 6 inches of white snow ice that was solid.  At the end of the day the top was starting to get slush but not too bad. 

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2015, 06:35 PM »
LOOKS LIKE YOU CAN GET A WEEK YET IN SOME SPOTS IF THE SHORE DOESN'T OPEN UP. MAY GO DOWN BELOW FREEZING NEXT WEEK. ALL MY HOLES HAT A INCH OF ICE FROM THURSDAY. NICE NO CLEATS NO WATER 4'' SOLID SLUSH AND 20'' ICEBELOW.

Offline crappieman2380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2015, 09:09 PM »
Got my 40th trip in tonight after-4. Pymatuning still seems pretty solid so I might even get another week in.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:19 PM »
TOMORROW WILL BE MY 40TH TRIP. I THINK THAT WILL BE MY LAST FOR THE YEAR. NOT BECAUSE OF THE ICE CONDITIONS BUT ITS JUST TIME TO DO SOME THINGS I HAVE BEEN PUTING OFF.

Offline prefect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Went out on 14 Mar at Nuangola. Old holes were well frozen and there was still 16" of solid ice with 3" of white ice on top.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.