The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: To drive, or not to drive??  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
To drive, or not to drive??
« on: Jan 13, 2006, 07:45 PM »
I'm in the same boat ( literally ) as everyone else. Frustrated as all get out, and then some :%$#!:
But what do we do?? Since we are not spending gas dollars to fish our local lakes every day, do we splurge once a week on gas,and time,to make the 3/4 drive to find safe ice, and only be able to fish for a couple hours?? Or do we sit at home and pout, sharing our misery with others on here??
This weather really sucks, we all know that, but is it something we can overcome?? How far would you drive, to fish safe ice for three or four hours??
Just wondering, further than I like, your thoughts??????????????????//
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: To drive, or not to drive??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2006, 07:51 PM »
For me to drive to get to safe ice it would probably take me 3 to 4 hours.  I would not drive that far not knowing a lake and only fish for a couple hours.  I will wait this warm spell out.  If it goes another couple weeks we won't have to worry about driving anywhere except to our local lakes with the boats.   ???  This happened about 4 or 5 years ago.  We had about 3 weeks of ice and it was over.  I sure hope we are not repeating the past, but it is getting late in the year.  >:(  If I drive that far I would make it a weekend trip and stay over somewhere.  Anyone wanna drive to Canada?
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:23 PM »
I don't mind driving or spending a few bucks as long as my day isn't a complete waste, especially if someone else is going with me. The furthest I've ever drove for ice was Jean at maybe a little under three hours straight from NJ. I would not drive more than that or even to Upstate NY or anything unless its a planned trip with at least a few guys. Right now my closest safe ice is probably Toby or Promisedland or Shohola at around 2 hours. I don't mind though. Anything over 2 hours and i wonder if its worth it.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:54 PM »
Get in a Plane and Fly, we have plenty of ice and Hotels for terrorists, I mean tourists ;D Sorry about that one, sometimes it's hard to tell them apart.

FF

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • VEX, is sure an expensive depth finder..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:06 PM »
byron,,,,after looking at the wind forecast for this weekend,,i wouldnt make drive...
The more fish we release, is more fish we all can catch.  b/c we all like to catch.   Catch, Photo, Release!!  Such an easy concept, but so hard for others to understand!!!!!

icefishnfool

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:54 AM »
Russ ,,,,let me know when you are ready to go to Sincoe ,,,,,I'm ready

MikeThePike

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:27 AM »
I wouldn't drive more than 2 hours if it only meant a few hours of fishing. Just doesn't seem worth it. I'd drive a few hours but it'd have to include staying somewhere for atleast a night or two.

Offline odriscoll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2006, 01:46 PM »
When I drive to the mountains, it's two-and-a-half hours each way.
It adds up to five hours driving for five hours of fishing.
Over forty bucks for gas and tolls.
Yeah, it's worth it once in awhile; it's more fun than the same lake every weekend.

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2006, 01:58 PM »
me and a freind were close to taking off
for black lake this morning,which is about
3 to 3 1/2 hours for us.but we decided to
try our hot spot tommorrow.i dont want
to drive that far unless we stay over somewhere.
i just hope there is enough ice for tommorrow.

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2006, 02:02 PM »
where is black lake,,,county,,city???
The more fish we release, is more fish we all can catch.  b/c we all like to catch.   Catch, Photo, Release!!  Such an easy concept, but so hard for others to understand!!!!!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2006, 02:17 PM »
where is black lake,,,county,,city???

It's in northern New York. Close to the Canadian border. It's northeast of the 1000 islands bridge.
Ken                                          

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2006, 02:40 PM »
thanks bean,,i thought that sounded familar

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2006, 11:43 PM »
Me and my buddy went up to Black Lake from around Erie, PA this week...it was about 5 1/2 hours one way.  although the ice was good (10"+) and we were able to drive our 4 wheelers on it, it wasn't worth the drive....That's a long way to drive for a couple of crappie, but it was nice getting on the ice though.  If you're planning a trip up there, give me a holler and I'll give you some tips for where to stay and where to go.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2006, 10:48 AM »
To the original thread; more like to ice fish or not to ice fish if you live in the Southeast. My feeling is, if I don't risk the 2hr plus drive to the Poconos, how ticked off will I be if the local lakes don't refreeze? Guess it all comes down to priorities, though given the chance I would stay over to squeeze in some more ice time.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2006, 12:22 PM »
me too! is it worth it or not    who knows    JOB 38:29-30  mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline THE Spud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2006, 12:53 PM »
 I drive 153miles to Jean and somtimes stay over Cenrral Hotel a good deal up that way 50/night and good food cheap looks like I'll be there this weekend with MI tourn postponed FRED
Join us on the 2013 Vermont Sportsmen's Tournament Series and The Northeast Icefishing Circuit .

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2006, 04:18 PM »
"DRIVE" I like to drive. Anyone want to go along? ;D
     Jim

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2006, 05:09 PM »
"DRIVE" I like to drive. Anyone want to go along? ;D
     Jim
hey bugle lips ill go if no ice here have to drive out to the poconos    mofish i looked on the map how about hammond tioga or cowanesque due north of both of us
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2006, 04:18 PM »
I seem to agree with most that two hours is about my limit for a one day trip.

Uhhhhhh C.C., What is it you're so hot on driving?? And what's up with the name change, we still know it's you. Or are you trying to hide from the CarpCatcher virgins??
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline skeeter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:37 PM »
I guess I have a 3 hr limit as i'm heading for tobyhanna thursday - only been there one time and if i remember it was about 3 hrs
bob

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:41 AM »
I seem to agree with most that two hours is about my limit for a one day trip.

Uhhhhhh C.C., What is it you're so hot on driving?? And what's up with the name change, we still know it's you. Or are you trying to hide from the CarpCatcher virgins??
Byron, I just got tired of typing out the full name. I like to drive, I even drove an hour and a half just to see your shining face :o. I drove 4 1/2 hours one night just to fish the high tide at indian river inlet for some stripers ;) Make sure you take you PFD to little buffalo, the ice wouldn't hold ya :roflmao:
      Jim

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:44 PM »
if i could sell the wife for a good price id drive to canada

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2006, 09:18 PM »
Why, is there a good market for market for second hand wives in Canada? You probably want to wait til the exchange rate is more favorable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.