The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What size auger?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline caulkyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
What size auger?
« on: Feb 22, 2014, 05:31 PM »
I am thinking about getting a lazer ice auger. I'm not sure what size to get? I plan to fish for everything from pike to bass to gills. Any thoughts? Thanks

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What size auger?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2014, 05:40 PM »
7" best of both worlds.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2014, 05:45 PM »
It depends if you mean a Lazer hand auger or power auger. If you mean a power auger get a 10 inch. If it's the hand auger get either 6 or 7 inch.

Offline Tomkeller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:15 PM »
I have an 8" I have see to much stuff fit down a 10" hole  We have caught 36" pike up 8" holes with 18" of ice came through just fine! Like the other guy said a 6" if its a hand auger.
2014 Bennington Pontoon Boat! 22SSX

Offline caulkyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:21 PM »
I was meaning hand auger

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:52 PM »
A 6" circle is 28.24 square inches.
A 7" circle is 38.46 square inches.
An 8" circle is 50.24 square inches.

How hard do you want to work? If you want it real easy Strikemaster sells them as small as 4" diameter.

Offline caulkyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2014, 07:18 PM »
So, it sounds like 8" is definitely overboard for a hand auger. Being a newbie, I didn't want to get too small of one and regret it. But easier to drill is definitely nice as well.

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Have to agree on the 7". It really is the best of both worlds. Sometimes bigger crappies are hard to get threw a 6", & bigger gamefish even harder. 8" can be a little exhausting to drill threw 10" of ice or more. I've switched to 7" this year. So far I love it. & I believe 7" or 8" blades fit on the strikemaster auger.   
Don't horse em!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2014, 07:49 PM »
I would go with a 7 inch at the smallest and 8 inch at the biggest especially with a hand cranker.  When I started ice fishing I started out with a spud bar then progressed through an 8 inch hand cranker and ended up with a gas auger which I wouldn't fish without.  I learned real fast that a hand cranker is nice until you get past 9 or 10 inches of ice then it's a work out especially if you drill a lot of holes, you end up spending more time drilling holes than fishing.  I personally won't get a 10 inch auger because it's too big because of little kids.  I have a three year old daughter that I'd LOVE to talk out with me but I won't because she's so small that she could actually fall through an 8 inch hole.  Call me over protective but that's my decision for the peace of mind.  Last weekend I was fishing and I saw a lady step into an 8 inch hole and go in up to her hip, thankfully she didn't get hurt.  Had that been a small child it could've be tragic.  I haven't ever seen a fish in any of the places I've fished in Pennsylvania that a fish wouldn't come through an 8 inch hole.  Then when we get a warm up the holes open up and the hole that started at 10 inches could easily become 12 or 14 inches very fast.  Sorry I know I wandered from the topic.

Offline gallitzinice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2014, 08:44 PM »
I like the 8 inch.  Plenty of room to bring fish up past my transducer.  It is work when the ice gets over a foot, but everything is a trade-off.

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2014, 09:36 PM »
7" best of both worlds.

I second the use of a 7" auger. That is what I have always used and it has been fine. I think it slightly edges over using an 8" auger since big fish fit fine through a 7" hole and they are slightly lighter.

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2014, 10:39 PM »
I have the 6" Lazer and my dad has the 8".  Boy is there a difference.  We are panfishermen so the 6" is more than enough and I have brought up some pretty big fish thru a six inch hole.  Last year at Moraine I caught a 28" pike on a spoon with maggots and it came thru easily.  On the other hand, there is nothing worse than losing a slab crappie at the edge of the hole when trying to steer his head through!  Just my .02.

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2014, 10:51 PM »
I like the 6 for a hand . With good blades they cut like butter. I agree. Caught some nice ones over the years. Never had too much problem gettin em up through the hole. My jiffy power auger is an 8 which is fine too. I am thinkin of ordering a 6" drill for it though. It's a model 30 and my friends call it the man killer!! The 30's are a little heavy in my opinion. A 6" might make it a little lighter. Good unit though. Lots of power!!

Offline oneman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2014, 12:32 AM »
I would say regardless of the size you get, spend the extra $30 to get the piece to adapt to a cordless drill for when the ice gets as thick as it is now. I just bought the nimrod version of it and it works great on my 18v DeWalt.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2014, 07:41 AM »
It depends how your going to fish.Put out tipups and drill a couple of jigging holes is one thing but i pan fish so i'm moving
and somedays i drill 30/40 holes a day.I know a guy who has a 6" auger and has 7"blades on it and it works so you could have both sizes.
I personally have a 8"power auger but there are times when a 6" lazer mag hand auger would be fine.

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2014, 03:23 PM »
7" ,8 sucks if you want to go hole hopping.location,location!
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2014, 11:02 PM »
7'' hand auger early ice, 8'' gas auger when it gets over 6-8'' for me.

Offline That-Will-Never-Work

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Scott
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2014, 03:03 PM »
I believe 8" is an all around nice size for power or hand augers.

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Agreed
A watched flag never flies

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:47 PM »
I have an 8 Inch Lazer hand auger. It was great the first few years I had. Being young and ignorant my blades are now getting dull and slow. Can either spend the 40 on new blades or about the same for a new smaller auger. i think i'm going with the blades, as long as they are sharp the effort to drill holes isn't bad, still going through 20 inches plus right now fairly fast even with bad blades.
"Yeah, well, listen Dr. D*pcrap - you've obviously never been ice fishing before.
No, I haven't.
Well it's f*cking exhilarating."
-Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Offline iceauger57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:56 PM »
I've been debating on a new hand auger from this and people I've talked to on the ice I'm going with a 6 in auger I'm using a 8 in now after 3 or 4 holes in9 in or more of ice I'm beat going with the 6 I got good info from this post ;D

Offline unklechuckles19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:37 AM »
I use a 6" Lazer with the Sweedish blades and have no problems with it.  I'm a pan fisherman, jigging, run and gun style, so I like to be able to punch holes.  I'm very happy with my 6".  I'm really not looking forward to the 16" of ice I'm going to have to hand auger through today, but at least I'm on the ice! 

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:30 AM »
 Try a Nils before you commit to anything. I've had every brand of hand auger and gave up on them. too much work. Bought an 8 in Nils last year and can go thru 14 inches of ice in under 30 seconds effortlessly. No down pressure needed, it pulls itself thru the ice. Expensive but well worth it.
Jim K.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.