The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Shanty Recommendations  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Ohiobucks

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Shanty Recommendations
« on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Hey everyone, I am looking to get into ice fishing for next season and was wondering what you guys recommend for a shanty.  I will probably be fishing with myself and 1 other most of the time.  Located in NW Pa if that matters.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
Re: Ice Shanty Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2013, 08:12 PM »
really depends on what you are looking for in a shanty.  the flipover styles are great and very mobile.  Here at my shop, they are the best selling type of shanty.  Personally though, I prefer a popup style.  I fish with an Eskimo quickfish 3.  It will fit 3 people, but it is about perfect for 2.  I like having more room with the popup over a flipover. 

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2013, 09:12 PM »
OhioBucks, As Tackleshack said a lot depends on how you fish. If you stay put for the day, set tip-ups then the pop-up seems to be a good option. Personally, I jig with a flasher and like to move a lot. Therefore I prefer the more mobile flip-over style. I have a Shappell Rover Dx 1.5. It's big enough if I have a buddy come out with me he can sit on a bucket and jig one hole while I sit and jig the other. The other nice thing is that evrything stays in your sled. And being that it's all closed in you really can't lose anything. Mine weighs 64 #'s empty. With gear and auger I'm probably dragging close to 100#'s. So I built a "Smitty" sled and bungee it on top and wow what a difference for dragging. Hope this helps. If you can, get out on the ice and talk to the guys that have the shanties. Everyone will have their two cents worth.   Lou

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2013, 09:37 PM »
What kind of vehicle will you be driving to the lakes. That may be a determining factor on what type of shanty you should buy. Flip overs are nice but you need an SUV at a minimum, possibly a truck. If you only have a car then a pop-up or maybe a suitcase style will work.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:00 AM »
If your a jigging ice fisherman.Dont waste your money on a shanty. I have never had one. I like to be able to move around. Not be stuck in one place cause I have a shanty. I have taken my hunting blind a few times. But its more of a hassle than its worth. Just buy some warm wind proof clothes.My 2 cents

Offline Ohiobucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2013, 05:51 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I have a trailblazer so hopefully anything i use will have to fit in the back.  I assume I will start out jigging just to learn the ropes around here.  I got bit by the bug while fishing with one of my good friends in Upstate NY for Lakers using tip ups and jigging.  I know we don't have that kind of depth around here or lake trout for that matter. So I was just wondering what would be best for this area of PA.

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:59 AM »
So I was just wondering what would be best for this area of PA.

Go as light as you can. Dragging by hand can suck!
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:09 AM »
Smitty sleds are the way to go,no more dragging! I have a Clam Trapper and never pulled it in snow til this year in Simcoe,well you can forget that idea if you don't have a Smitty sled!They just plow up snow in front without SS and you basicly have to carry the front end to go.

Offline Ohiobucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:10 AM »
Go as light as you can. Dragging by hand can suck!

Will do. Thanks.

Offline King of Pymatuning !

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:20 AM »
I agrre with Capt. Crappie , in 40+ years of ice fishin i have never used a shanty . Just dress warm and sit or stand with your back to the wind . Shanty is usefull if you cant take the cold or takin young ones cause once they get cold the fun stops ! A friend of mine has a two man Clam and brought it one time , it just didnt seem right enjoyin a outdoor winter activity sittin in an enclosed 3' x 4"  cube out on the middle of a lake ! Just my view , no need to post a negative response ! Lol !  :) ;D ::) :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Nuangola Susquehanna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:44 PM »
...I'd recommend a thermal material shanty.

..I really like the clam base camp thermal. Great product,easy to set up, and it's like fishing in my living room but probably warmer.

..the holes don't freeze, your line won't freeze, and you can fish in a tee shirt if you like.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Another vote for Quickfish 3. Easy up and you can stand inside it. Three seasons of use and it is still like new. Only complaint is it needs more windows.

Offline rswope2004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:57 PM »
i fished over 20 years without a shanty but wouldnt go without one now.  its not a matter of being cold but staying out of the wind and having all your things right behind or beside you.  personally i would recommend a flip over shelter.  no assembly required once you assemble it when you get it.  if its nice sit  in the seat if its blustery flip it down and fire up a buddy heater.  you can attach lights to the poles for hands free night fishing.  also when you are done put all your gear in the sled, flip the shanty back up and you have your gear and shanty in one.   I have both styles and i just like the ease of my flip over.

Offline Slam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2013, 05:59 PM »
I had a similar question several weeks ago.  I ended up getting the Shappell FX200, which is the one that I was originally looking at.  Heavier than a one man, but like the extra space and I generally fish with others.  I like have all of the equipment right there and flipping it when I want to do so.  It is also nice because I don't have to extend the poles.  I really like it!  I am in the process of building a Smitty Sled for next year. 

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Okay, so if you don't have a large SUV or a pickup, have a bad back and mainly fish with tip ups, the hub shelter kind sounds like the best choice. How for the most important question. Which brand is the best bang for the buck?

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2013, 05:12 PM »
I have a minivan great for ice fishing, two flip over shelters plus gear fit nice.
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Fishingig: We fish tip ups and don't move around much, the Eskimo Quickfish 3 shanty has been great. I think it cost $165 a few years ago. We recently got a Buddy heater and it's almost too much. You can have the thing hot about in two minutes.

Offline ROY89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:45 PM »
I agrre with Capt. Crappie , in 40+ years of ice fishin i have never used a shanty . Just dress warm and sit or stand with your back to the wind . Shanty is usefull if you cant take the cold or takin young ones cause once they get cold the fun stops ! A friend of mine has a two man Clam and brought it one time , it just didnt seem right enjoyin a outdoor winter activity sittin in an enclosed 3' x 4"  cube out on the middle of a lake ! Just my view , no need to post a negative response ! Lol !  :) ;D ::) :tipup: :tipup:

Yep...What they said...Hard to enjoy the view and experience from the inside of a shanty...Spend your money on  a good suit instead.
LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO PUT A PRICE ON FUN!!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:34 AM »
..you don't know what you're  missing.

...after fishing 35 + years outside,  I wouldn't want to go back to fishing without a shelter. 

..you can always walk around or even open a window or two for the view.

Offline ROY89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2013, 02:09 PM »
..you don't know what you're  missing.

...after fishing 35 + years outside,  I wouldn't want to go back to fishing without a shelter. 

..you can always walk around or even open a window or two for the view.

I know EXACTLY what I'm missing....I have a Fish Trap and a Shappell 3000 that haven't left the basement in several years.

Offline Ohiobucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2013, 09:11 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice.  I picked a bad time to get into ice fishing.  Now I have to suffer through the warmer months until next season....  I will probably pick up a sled/shanty combo since I will be taking out some of my younger cousins.  Be safe out there, i know the ice is thin around these parts.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2013, 11:08 AM »
I know EXACTLY what I'm missing....I have a Fish Trap and a Shappell 3000 that haven't left the basement in several years.

..good for you!

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2013, 11:23 AM »

Roy89 needs to sell that Fish Trap to Ohiobucks so that it can get some use. You guys don't live that far apart. Maybe meet in the middle. I'm not even going to ask for a finders fee!!
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline ROY89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2013, 04:38 PM »
Whatever.....To each their own....Do what works for you and enjoy.

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2013, 11:50 AM »
keep looking around as most ice fishing gear will be going on sale soon.i purchased the eskimo combo  4 years ago. quickfish-3,2 tripod chairs and a large sled. the q-3 has plenty of room for 2 people and four or more holes to fish.the set-up and take down is really easy and it does not weigh alot.

Offline ROY89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Yep....Picked up a new Arctic Armor suit the other day for 40% off.  Last July I bought a new 8" Mora hand auger from K-Mart for $15.00.  Keep your eyes open and you should be able to save some money...especially on an ice hut...They take up a lot of space in a retail store.

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2013, 02:10 PM »
I sold mine, bad in the wind, too heavy to drag and I had a Shapell Rover, the lightest one thats made, I think it was less then 30 pounds. Too old to be pulling all that crap out on the ice, go lite

Offline bead head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2013, 03:17 PM »
 like everyone said it all depends on your needs and conditions .  if you take newbees they may not have the warm clothes to sit out in the open , in this case a 2 man filp over is nice .  if you fish mostly alone or with others that have huts a 1 man flip over for yourself is nice. pulling any hut through deep snow is a chore .  if you have snow you might just want to pull a jet sled and sit outside on a bucket , just dress warm , i've sat outside in single digit temps this year and was warm as toast .   i have a 2 man yukon & 1 man frabill camando but spent 90% of this year fishing in the open on a bucket watching the vex. pulling a jet sled .   i would get warm clothes and jet sled first and add shelters as you can afford them .   good luck fishin !

Offline jonesy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2013, 04:07 PM »
I've owned several shanties and i finally settled on the Frabill trekker. It sets up very quickly and comfortably fishes 2.I like it. I don't like fishing without one. Your holes freeze up, line freezes on the eyelet and the wind becomes annoying and cold (especially on the bay)

Offline icebum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Thought I needed a shelter, so about 6 years ago I broke down and purchased a clam. They have their place but for me it seems that I want to use it when its very windy only. Does anyone enjoy trying to put up their portable hut in the wind? I watched one roll across a lake in N.Y. once with the owner in hot pursuit. I couldn't help but think, man that could be me. ( it hasn't left the basement in two years )
We are all here cause we are not all there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.