The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Must Have Tackle for Beginner  (Read 1150 times)

Offline matthews8582

• IceShanty Rookie
Must Have Tackle for Beginner
« on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:37 AM »
What would you recommend to a guy to get tackle wise that's just starting out?

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Must Have Tackle for Beginner
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Just depends on what species you are targeting.  If you are bass fishing, get some tipups and large minnow.  The other simple solution would be to jig for panfish.  The best bet for somebody to start jigging for panfish is probably the Schooley rod which includes rod, reel, line, spring bobber, and jig for  about 10 bucks.  Start there and expand depending on what you like to catch.  Good luck and stay safe!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:33 PM »
A flasher, any kind will do, but a vex is best  :P
Tight lines

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:38 PM »
The first thing you need is the safety equipment for going on the ice. Ice picks, ice cleats, long rope and maybe even a spud bar.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline matthews8582

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:41 PM »
Sorry for not specifying species.  Probably mostly pan fish right now.  Do have tip ups as well.  Maybe I should also be asking what size jigs and such to use for perch, gills, and crappie?

Offline matthews8582

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Gambler - Thanks for the concern but have been looking into ice safety since last year.  Since there was no ice.  A buddy and I have been planning on doing this since two years ago.  Plan on only going out with a partner and will have spikes, cleats, pfd, rope, spud bar, and a dry bag with spare clothes.  Other than that it will come down to common sense and experience gained.  If I'm missing anything let me know 

Offline matthews8582

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:50 PM »
Believe me with two kids my wife keeps me on my toes with knowing where I'm at and if I take my safety gear along.  Be it hunting from a stand or fishing on ice....lol

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2013, 03:02 PM »
where ru planning on going your first trip?

Offline matthews8582

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2013, 03:20 PM »
slider - Thinking of hitting up Faylor or Walker waiting on my buddy though.

TheDL - Probably won't have a flasher for a while but thinking of try to rig my small hummingbird fish finder off my john boat and using it on the ice if possible.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2013, 03:29 PM »
How much money are you looking at spending also? a jigging rod or two, an assortment of jigs and some waxworms can get you started, but a flasher or lcd fishfinder aids in fishing like no other piece of equipment. Do you have an auger?

Offline matthews8582

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Probably just a jigging rod, assortment of jigs and plastics, and live bait for now.  I have an older fish finder on my john boat that I have setup to be detachable.  I think its a cuda.  Going to rig it to use for the ice I believe.  Found a couple interesting threads here on it as well.  My buddy has an auger but probably will get my own eventually.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:04 PM »
I have a cuda rigged up that I started with ..works well when you dial it in..

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Gambler - Thanks for the concern but have been looking into ice safety since last year.  Since there was no ice.  A buddy and I have been planning on doing this since two years ago.  Plan on only going out with a partner and will have spikes, cleats, pfd, rope, spud bar, and a dry bag with spare clothes.  Other than that it will come down to common sense and experience gained.  If I'm missing anything let me know

Good, Sounds like you have the safety covered.
I agree with the flasher or fish finder being a very valuable tool for ice fishing. When I started I had nothing for ice fishing. I made a couple of home made rods and bought 1 tip-up and some ice jigs. The next year I got a fish finder that had a flasher mode and it worked well. I could now see when fish were near my bait.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:04 PM »
i cheap plastic jigging rod with a spring bobber would be the first thing id get .
a couple sweedish pimples
and 1 or 2 tipups to start . all this for under $30
this will get your friend started and wont break the bank

Offline Amy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Hi,I'm new here too. I spent most of the winter gathering ice fishing "stuff" I'm hoping to go out this weekend for the first time. I have to wait till next year for a flasher but I'm going to do the best I can without. sounds like so much fun. I'm hoping for walleye!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty Matthew and Amy.

Check out the tips and species boards, there is a wealth of info in them that will help you out.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:46 PM »
Yes, welcome  Matthews8582 and Amy! Icefishing is very fun and relaxing at times. Just be safe out there. Amy I hope you do find some walleye. Not sure what part of central PA your in, but there are a few good walleye lakes around. When you post 3 or more times you can access the reports and conditions threads to find out whats happening at a lake near you. Good Luck!

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:38 PM »
slider - Thinking of hitting up Faylor or Walker waiting on my buddy though.

TheDL - Probably won't have a flasher for a while but thinking of try to rig my small hummingbird fish finder off my john boat and using it on the ice if possible.

probabaly gonna be at faylor both days sat and sun just got back fishing was awesome you should try to get up here, we can put you on some fish, (hopefully) lol!!!!   D.T.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:45 PM »
For good tackle to buy I would recommend some Sweedish Pimples, Hali Jigs, Mamushkas (the larger ones), Blood worms, Fresh Water Shrimp (made by Northland), tip-ups, size 4 or 6 treble hooks, and some soft plastic tube jigs with jig heads.

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:21 PM »
welcome mathew & amy,,, if you get a chance to fish sayers give me a shout i'm shure the crew and i can help you out, show you the thing's we use . to get you started

Offline matthews8582

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:47 AM »
eyefishermandt - May have to take you up on that offer.  Looks like my buddy maybe be able to only go out one day and he's talking about use going up to Glendale with some guys he works with that ice fish. Suppose to know by today what's going on.

john t. - Will let you know if we're up that way.  My buddy lives by there and if we get ice long enough probably will make a trip there.

Offline jru108

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2013, 04:51 PM »
Anyone ever hear of a perch eye jig?

Offline rswope2004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:09 PM »
I would have to say if you are targeting panfish, go to your bobbers down.  get yourself some 4-5mm size jig heads.  general colors are green, yellow, and red for a start. they have epoxy jigs and hand painted also.  get a container of waxies or maggots tip it and ya can jig.  Most panfish guys jig and can set tipups too.  If you want to target bigger species you can use tipups.  You can catch panfish on tipups with fatheads also. Good luck and welcome to the addiction of ice fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.