Author Topic: replacement treble hook suggestions needed  (Read 1295 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
replacement treble hook suggestions needed
« on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:46 PM »
I need to replace some treble hooks on some jigs and spoons , the sizes are 10 12 and 14 can anyone suggest a make and model number ? I have looked at many  but do not know which is best , any help appreciated !

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: replacement treble hook suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2020, 03:29 PM »
VMC 9649
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Lotsa good hooks out there from stalwarts like VMC and Eagle Claw to the pricey elites like Gamakatsu and Owner. All of 'em good in their own right. I'm an EC leaner mostly because I bought into a giant pile of trebles for cheaper than dirt. Still I have some VMC, Owner, Gamas and Daichii laying around in certain sizes 'cause I like to play.

Honestly it doesn't matter make and model BUT there are some things you should consider about a replacement hook. I prefer a round bend (wider gap = better hookups), short shank (fishes compactly but I can add an extra split ring to lengthen the distance if necessary) and most important (for me) at least 2x, better 3x strong. I've got some that are 4x and I just love. Can't say I'd ever fish a standard strength treble. Why? Less strong hooks tend to spring out at the point both on a hookset and during the fight. This can impact the quality of your hookset especially on fish with bony mouths like pike, walleyes and (to some extent) big perch. Springing out during the fight can allow a fish to get unpinned. Not so important for gills and certainly not crappies so consider your targets.

A current hook that fits these criteria would be an EC L954. Owner ST-56 is a similar hook. Might have to poke around a bit, hooks like that in small sizes aren't easy to find but worth the search.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2020, 05:09 PM »
Esox pretty much covered it. I’m partial to VMC and Daichii. Heck, if you want a whole bunch for relatively cheap there’s nothing wrong with Mustad’s either.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2020, 07:01 PM »
I like Owners and Gamakatsu first if I find the ones I want.  Otherwise I will go with VMC or Mustads. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2020, 07:51 AM »
whatever they put on those tiny traps.  those black slightly turned ones are scary sharp to deal with.  wish I knew the brand.  I use them to troll gills bass n crappie in mid summer.  you get kind of hook sky after removing a few fish. lol

always liked vmc eagle claws and lasers.  but im not as picky as some either.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2020, 08:35 AM »
whatever they put on those tiny traps.  those black slightly turned ones are scary sharp to deal with.  wish I knew the brand.  I use them to troll gills bass n crappie in mid summer.  you get kind of hook sky after removing a few fish. lol

Owners are designed like that and are always sticky sharp.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2020, 04:06 PM »
that's what they were!  ty
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2020, 09:22 AM »
I had some trouble finding what I was looking for as far as tiny replacement trebles go.  I ended up settling on this cheap kit from Amazon.  They seem to be good quality to me.  Handy little package too!  Hope it helps someone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BJZF83L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2020, 07:26 PM »

Bill Lewis lures are contracted to use Mustad hooks. Probably a triple grip.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.