Author Topic: Auger retrieval ?  (Read 5250 times)

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Auger retrieval ?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:46 AM »
Huh, sorry to hear your misfortune. My hand cranker is still working fine..................

I don't understand why anyone would still do this but to each hus own.  I probably fished 60 different holes last weekend.  I would still be there cutting holes by hand.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:57 AM »
i have taken hand crank when ice iffy.  my warranty don't cover water damage. ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:11 AM »
I don't understand why anyone would still do this but to each hus own.  I probably fished 60 different holes last weekend.  I would still be there cutting holes by hand.

That's nothing...………………………………………..I saw a guy chiseling holes with his spudbar yesterday. Not opening old holes either- he was making new ones! Thought the old guy was gonna have a heart attack! I'm young and in pretty good shape, but I wouldn't want to chisel new holes in 8" of ice!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((Ί> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:13 AM »
Camera, better magnets, and bigger hole .   Thanks for all the info.  This won't happen again!
Edit after reading more comments.   Why do some mountain bikers ride single speeds ??  Cut wood with an ax??

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:22 AM »
That's nothing...………………………………………..I saw a guy chiseling holes with his spudbar yesterday. Not opening old holes either- he was making new ones! Thought the old guy was gonna have a heart attack! I'm young and in pretty good shape, but I wouldn't want to chisel new holes in 8" of ice!  ::)
in that case i wouldve went and drilled the ol timer some holes...

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:39 AM »
I had the bolt come loose one my hand auger and i was left standing holding a handle as my auger spiraled down luckily it was in 6 feet of crystal clear water so i hooked it with my tipup on the blade.... Sliced my hand up pretty good getting it through the unfinished hole... That was maybe 3 years ago... Now i always check my bolt before i cut lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:34 AM »
GOT IT!

I was going to put it up for sale, but will keep it for Ct.  It's much faster and can get more holes than my  8" Eskimo Pistol bit.
I am totally impressed with the Eskimo, though.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:45 AM »
GOT IT!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Nice to have one in the "win" category.  :clap: :flex: :flex: :clap:
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 24, 2020, 05:26 PM »
GOT IT!

Yeah man! That's persistence for ya!  :thumbsup: :clap:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 24, 2020, 05:44 PM »
Well done!  Sure is nice to see that auger is not going to rot at the bottom of a lake.  I have an 8" Pistol Bit and really like how not works. Granted it's the only auger I have used , but it works perfect for me.  Very light too.  I like that.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 24, 2020, 05:52 PM »
this happened to me last year, I bought a magnet and luckily there was only 4'' of ice so sticking my arm down the hole and grabbing the auger was totally doable, Honestly was the best damn thing that happened to me because since than I have kept the magnet in my ice fishing gear, It's always with me when i'm on the ice and last week my truck keys fell out my pocket and down a hole and that magnet really saved my ass along with my aqua vu

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 24, 2020, 05:57 PM »
this happened to me last year, I bought a magnet and luckily there was only 4'' of ice so sticking my arm down the hole and grabbing the auger was totally doable, Honestly was the best damn thing that happened to me because since than I have kept the magnet in my ice fishing gear, It's always with me when i'm on the ice and last week my truck keys fell out my pocket and down a hole and that magnet really saved my ass along with my aqua vu

Sounds like you need smaller holes...just sayin.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 25, 2020, 09:37 AM »
I've been reading about magnet fishing  ;D  Think of all of the stuff that's dropped off of docks! I'll be adding more magnets  to this rig and dragging it.  Each little magnet can pick up 148 lbs!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2020, 09:47 AM »
I've been reading about magnet fishing  ;D  Think of all of the stuff that's dropped off of docks! I'll be adding more magnets  to this rig and dragging it.  Each little magnet can pick up 148 lbs!
The trouble with magnet fishing is that the items that are caught can rust, by definition. This means that older items are seldom is good condition. In any case, it would be fun to catch some old stuff and at least remove the polluting items from the lake.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #44 on: Feb 25, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Nice work and congrats on the successful retrieval!
Just add water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.