New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Jawjacker Question  (Read 821 times)

Offline bassmastermark

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If you're not casting, you're not catching
Jawjacker Question
« on: Nov 20, 2016, 06:01 PM »
Hello all,

last year i received a jaw jacker for a Christmas gift. I like using it an want to know if anyone out here is using it. i have a questions that id like to answer since im targeting larger fish like lake trout, pike, and possibly tigers. I believe im not setting it right because the hook is not being set on most hookups. should i use a stiffer rod? or are there any recommendations on how to set it for larger game fish.

please help! 
May your holes on the ice be larger than the fish brought to it.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Re: Jawjacker Question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2016, 06:56 PM »
You can adjust the angle of the rod holder which changes the amount of hookset on the trip.  Also are you starting with sharp hooks?

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:25 AM »
I have a few and love them but experienced low hook up rates at first. If your using minnows or larger baits you may need to tweak your setup to allow the fish to get the hook in its mouth. I did this by adding a clip on bobber to the line between the first and second rod eyes. This is very similar to the "automatic fisherman" setup except I use regular old red/white round bobbers set so the line can slide through the bottom hook freely(just like hanging a Christmas ornament). The fish will pull up the spare line as it starts to eat then the trigger will fire. The bobber is nice too because you can see it rise from far away if someone is playing with your bait. This setup isn't needed when fishing pnfish or smaller baits I have found.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2016, 03:51 PM »
I have a few and love them but experienced low hook up rates at first. If your using minnows or larger baits you may need to tweak your setup to allow the fish to get the hook in its mouth. I did this by adding a clip on bobber to the line between the first and second rod eyes. This is very similar to the "automatic fisherman" setup except I use regular old red/white round bobbers set so the line can slide through the bottom hook freely(just like hanging a Christmas ornament). The fish will pull up the spare line as it starts to eat then the trigger will fire. The bobber is nice too because you can see it rise from far away if someone is playing with your bait. This setup isn't needed when fishing pnfish or smaller baits I have found.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Found this on the AF website

https://automaticfisherman.com/2016/01/automatic-fisherman-modifications-to-help-catch-more-fish/

To build a deploying bobber, simply take a paperclip or piece of metal wire and string it through the bobber, leaving about two inches of wire on each side.  Bend the wire at a 90° angle in a straight line on each edge of the bobber.  Then take a pliers and wrap each end of the wire around to create a half circle.  The bobber can now be placed on the line where it normally would, and once the fish trips the Automatic Fisherman, the bobber will fly off and you no longer have to worry about it while fighting the fish!  This modification is extremely useful when changing bobber weights is necessary which I will discuss next.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2016, 04:19 PM »
Hello all,

last year i received a jaw jacker for a Christmas gift. I like using it an want to know if anyone out here is using it. i have a questions that id like to answer since im targeting larger fish like lake trout, pike, and possibly tigers. I believe im not setting it right because the hook is not being set on most hookups. should i use a stiffer rod? or are there any recommendations on how to set it for larger game fish.

please help!
You'll want a rod with plenty of backbone, no soft tips allowed in that setup. Braided main line has zero stretch and will help you get that hook where it means business. In my experience, pike and lakers don't soft mouth the bait, they whack it. Watch camera footage on YouTube. A key, as mentioned before, is hooks. I use #6 or #4 Owner treble in a yoke style quick strike that I make up using knot2kinky leader material. Best hooks, best leaders, stiff rods, Abu 5501-C3 reels. Add in good bait and a good location and you're in business.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.