Author Topic: Walleye TopShot  (Read 6435 times)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Walleye TopShot
« on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:08 AM »
I have a question. I’ve never seen a walleye before in person I’ve only eaten there fillets buddies have gifted me.

I see videos and shows all the time of guys fishing them, they appear to have some legit teeth.

My question is do you get many cutoffs and do you retie after each fish?? I assume it’d be a horrible idea to use steel leader or heavy mono. I would guess locally one would just run 6 lb flouro or 8 perhaps. Is this typical? Do you lose as many as it looks like you could?

If I have spare time in the spring I’d like to travel for them on the CT. I’ve found some likely spots. I have all the gear and rigs/ lures needed just curious on line. We just don’t have them around here
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Walleye TopShot
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:14 AM »
I haven't caught enough to have much opinion on it but gonna follow this... I've been below the nuke plant in the spring and grabbed a few, would like to get into them more... tasty buggers
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:15 AM »
They do have big teeth but never had one bite me off. I use 6 and 8 pound  XPS florocarbin..  Lost a lot of pickerel but never a walleye .  Come out here we will hook you up little buddy..     ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:17 AM »
I haven't caught enough to have much opinion on it but gonna follow this... I've been below the nuke plant in the spring and grabbed a few, would like to get into them more... tasty buggers

Keep me in mind when you think you may head again. Probably a 2+hour ride or so but I’m not scared

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:24 AM »
They do have big teeth but never had one bite me off. I use 6 and 8 pound  XPS florocarbin..  Lost a lot of pickerel but never a walleye .  Come out here we will hook you up little buddy..     ;)

Ahhh so my assumption is correct.

I actually am coming out there in May Dom, staying in Long Lake to then take a boat to a camp on Raquette to do some work on it.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:32 AM »
Let me know when. Our first boat trip will be end of April.  And the big game banquet at the Tap Room i think is on the second of May.  Oh and there's no walleye in Raquette...Either way you will love it there.....Lots of history...

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:38 AM »
Let me know when. Our first boat trip will be end of April.  And the big game banquet at the Tap Room i think is on the second of May.  Oh and there's no walleye in Raquette...Either way you will love it there.....Lots of history...

Yes! I have had a few beers at the tap room if it’s the place I’m thinking. I figured no walleye there but just happens to be where we are working on a buddies camp. Said he took a canoe trip from there to here?!? Is this correct?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:40 AM »
Its the only bar in town. Cant miss it.
 Dont know where your canoeing to..

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:06 AM »
I like you have no personal experience, but one of the YouTube channels I watch a ton of targets then a lot, and they always go with a flouro leader. Usually 6-12 lbs, but typically run it paired with like 10lb power pro. I’m assuming the flouro is for their teeth.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:08 AM »
I like you have no personal experience, but one of the YouTube channels I watch a ton of targets then a lot, and they always go with a flouro leader. Usually 6-12 lbs, but typically run it paired with like 10lb power pro. I’m assuming the flouro is for their teeth.

All my rods have 10lb braid anyhow and 6-8 flouro was my plan so I think I’m good, I don’t see a need for the 10-12 here I can’t imagine they’d get big enough

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:22 AM »
AA your setups are good for vertical jogging and some lures. If trolling or casting into structure, which is key, heavier braid may be needed. Lighter wire hooked jigs are preferred by some so the hook will straighten some so you can get some tackle back. Lots of different ways. They have pike teeth! They are masters of slipping a peice of crawler off a jig hook without you hardly noticing.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:24 AM »
The teeth on walleyes are only sharp on the end of the tooth. Very seldom get a cut off. Pike on the other hand have sharp edges...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:28 AM »
AA your setups are good for vertical jogging and some lures. If trolling or casting into structure, which is key, heavier braid may be needed. Lighter wire hooked jigs are preferred by some so the hook will straighten some so you can get some tackle back. Lots of different ways. They have pike teeth! They are masters of slipping a peice of crawler off a jig hook without you hardly noticing.

Awesome info thank you! This will all be open water fishing for sure, the tactics I see on tv are for ice so it was where my curiosity came into play.

I do have set ups with 20 lb and 30 pound braid as well, simple as a spool switch so I’ll grab the 20’s then.

I have the light wire jigs etc as I was told plan on losing a lot of gear to do it correctly, I’m ok with that.

Any input on best livebaits? Crawlers probably or small minnows? I’m sure leeches would be great if you could get them. I will toy with gulp products as well. Besides the jigheads and baits or curly tail grubs any other lure options you prefer this will be shore casting

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:28 AM »
The teeth on walleyes are only sharp on the end of the tooth. Very seldom get a cut off. Pike on the other hand have sharp edges...h2l

Great, thanks!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:39 AM »
I'll take you out if you promise not to behave. Your setup with the 6-8 lb. mono is fine that's what I use. Their bite is usually very light. There is pike where I catch them so sometimes you will get a bite off with them. Have you ever caught a pike? Fishing early and late in the day is the time, they are very light sensitive. Hopefully the runoff from up north will not create flood conditions it just makes it harder to fish for them. I can set you up in my wife's she shed in the backyard. Pick CD up along the way.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:41 AM »

I like the way they glow there, easier to spot them in the shallows in the spring.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:43 AM »
I’d love to! No no pike either. I’ve slept in worse!  ;D Richard will keep me in line

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:50 AM »
I’d love to! No no pike either. I’ve slept in worse!  ;D Richard will keep me in line

Lose your walleye and pike virginity on the same trip.  ::)  Didn't mention it but we need a cloudy day.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:52 AM »
Ok, cloudy, no floods, and wear protection got it!

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:53 AM »
Springfield bridge and Fort # 4 areas on the ct river hold some decent pike and walleye.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:02 AM »
Thanks! I’m going to find one this spring!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Will do thanks! All info is welcome!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:23 AM »
So I just put a Stradic CI4 3000 spoiled with 20 lb J-Braid and 6ft of 8 lb. sts Seaguar Flouro on a 7’6 Shimano Compre Medium light extra fast taper. That’ll be my starting setup.

Lures, rigs, heads to consider?

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2020, 10:54 AM »
All my rods have 10lb braid anyhow and 6-8 flouro was my plan so I think I’m good, I don’t see a need for the 10-12 here I can’t imagine they’d get big enough
  I would go with 10 to 12lb flouro, they can get very big here in CT. We get fish between 10 and 14lbs every year and if you are open water fishing they fight like hell.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:00 AM »
  I would go with 10 to 12lb flouro, they can get very big here in CT. We get fish between 10 and 14lbs every year and if you are open water fishing they fight like hell.

Thanks! I will not be in CT I will be fishing the CT via NH/VT border . From all research done it’s just not gonna happen hitting that 10 lb Mark would be a massive feat in its own self the state record is 12 and change and I assume that’s about as rare as can be

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:59 AM »
Gotcha. I guess i got a little excited when I saw CT and didn't notice you meant the river. Good luck getting into some Walleye, they are fun and tasty.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2020, 12:07 PM »
Thanks!

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2020, 01:23 PM »
1/4 oz round jig and a curly tail, charteuse is a great color,  rapalas #7 countdown, husky jerks.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2020, 01:25 PM »
Ok I was planning on jerks as well, thanks

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2020, 02:22 PM »
Keep 1/4,3/8,1/2 oz jigs available , depends on water flow and depth. You need to hold bottom when jigging just like cod fishn. I also have done well experimenting with lead core trolling walleye spinners / beads. Three way swivels w/ dropper sinker on light line to break off easy , and troll the spinner rig +-2’ off bottom. So many ways

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.