Author Topic: New Trial  (Read 8913 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New Trial
« on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:55 AM »
 NO I DID NOT GET ARRESTED!.... As some of you might recall, last year I was given Strike sensor tip up sensors to try ( then keep) by a salesman I met at a seminar I gave, I have since tested a few other items for him, last week, he emailed me and asked about the strike sensors, I told him exactly what I had recorded in his blog ( part of the deal so I could keep them)that  although the boast 600' range( which really isn't all that far), any interruption in the terrain also affected them, they needed a straight line of sight, most times the true range was half that, battery life was crappy ( I even use rechargeable lithium Ion batteries) and I wasn't using them right now..

His response was,was I willing to participate in another trial but with a more sophisticated better made ( and much more expensive ) unit.. I told him why not ( I like free stuff and I can write stuff in and  visit his blog).. so he said he was going to send me 2 Vulture system LLC mag. trigger tip up sensors ( I tried to get six but he told m they were too expensive to give away 6).. these puppies are a little bigger than the old strike sensors, but the quality abounds, they offer a 2 way poling system that allows you to actually pole each ( up to six) sensors from the hand held to make sure you are in range, which boasts 1 mile plus ( there is also an optional motion sensor that you can purchase for your game trail or to monitor a zone)..
when the 2 arrived, I put in a fresh set of lithium batteries, set them up and paired them to the hand held, I set the sensor on the hood of my truck and walked down to the end of the street ( out of sight of my truck)  hit the pole button. For #2 on the hand held. about 2 seconds latter my hand held lit up the # 2 position and the hand held beeped telling me the sensor received my signal and answered the call.. I was so happy I went inside and ordered..  four more ( not before emailing the rep, trying to bribe him for the 4, but he did give me a %20 off promo code and paid for expedited shipping)..so Saturday Ill have new toys to play with..
my main reason for using them is not to spread my gear across an entire lake, but if I'm tight to the shore, along cove and uneven shore, they can be hard to see, same goes for those patrolling deep water looking into the sun, and of coarse those times I'm in the shack jigging  or eating...and if  for no other reason.. I like gadgets..  ;D

I'll keep everyone informed on how I like them..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: New Trial
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:48 AM »
Awesome!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:51 AM »
Mr Gadget! Sounds like high tech is making inroads into the ice fishing sport! Always interesting reading your posts!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:59 AM »
Good luck putting them through the ringer Roccus... Looking forward to what you find. Sounds like a good way to keep tabs on the traps outside while jiggin in the shack.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:13 AM »
they give some pretty good ideas in the down loaded instructions on how to rig a slammer or bank rod( open water) .. they even have diagrams on how to use them on a live trap when relocating nuisance wild life...

the have both white and red LED lights that are quite bright, good night fishing possibilities for crappie fishing.. those lights also can be turned off  for stealth mode( there is a white light flash light mode that is controlled by the hand held), they boast long battery life as well..  5 weeks constant use for the AA batteries in the sensors, 6 months with the AAA in the  hand held ( the sensors also have a low power mode that doubles the battery life, so they say) and they claim that lithium batteries are double the life of alkaline batteries.. all thing s I tend to ferret out.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Sounds like they could be quite useful in many different applications. Look forward to Future reports.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:58 AM »
Awesome Joe! Congrats and have fun with them!
Just add water.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:03 AM »
I was watching a YouTube video of these guys in Maine who flew into a remote pond to ice fish...I’m not sure if these are the same things but they had a trigger on their tip ups with a remote system which signaled back to them when the flag tripped and which tip up it was...wonder if these are the same or not similar product  ???   they were cool especially if you set your traps far apart and can’t see them

This is the video of those sensors...pretty cool. They don’t talk to much bout them
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:57 AM »
I use those window alarms you get at Dollar Tree, but the wind really muffles the sound of far away traps.

Offline MTPockets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:03 AM »
NO I DID NOT GET ARRESTED!.... As some of you might recall, last year I was given Strike sensor tip up sensors to try ( then keep) by a salesman I met at a seminar I gave, I have since tested a few other items for him, last week, he emailed me and asked about the strike sensors, I told him exactly what I had recorded in his blog ( part of the deal so I could keep them)that  although the boast 600' range( which really isn't all that far), any interruption in the terrain also affected them, they needed a straight line of sight, most times the true range was half that, battery life was crappy ( I even use rechargeable lithium Ion batteries) and I wasn't using them right now..

His response was,was I willing to participate in another trial but with a more sophisticated better made ( and much more expensive ) unit.. I told him why not ( I like free stuff and I can write stuff in and  visit his blog).. so he said he was going to send me 2 Vulture system LLC mag. trigger tip up sensors ( I tried to get six but he told m they were too expensive to give away 6).. these puppies are a little bigger than the old strike sensors, but the quality abounds, they offer a 2 way poling system that allows you to actually pole each ( up to six) sensors from the hand held to make sure you are in range, which boasts 1 mile plus ( there is also an optional motion sensor that you can purchase for your game trail or to monitor a zone)..
when the 2 arrived, I put in a fresh set of lithium batteries, set them up and paired them to the hand held, I set the sensor on the hood of my truck and walked down to the end of the street ( out of sight of my truck)  hit the pole button. For #2 on the hand held. about 2 seconds latter my hand held lit up the # 2 position and the hand held beeped telling me the sensor received my signal and answered the call.. I was so happy I went inside and ordered..  four more ( not before emailing the rep, trying to bribe him for the 4, but he did give me a %20 off promo code and paid for expedited shipping)..so Saturday Ill have new toys to play with..
my main reason for using them is not to spread my gear across an entire lake, but if I'm tight to the shore, along cove and uneven shore, they can be hard to see, same goes for those patrolling deep water looking into the sun, and of coarse those times I'm in the shack jigging  or eating...and if  for no other reason.. I like gadgets..  ;D

Not that this trial isn't cool and all because it is and I am extremely jealous but I think a story about being Arrested is way better! Just sayin'  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Not that this trial isn't cool and all because it is and I am extremely jealous but I think a story about being Arrested is way better! Just sayin'  ;D ;D ;D

Ha!.. they'd never take me alive!

Offline MTPockets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:10 AM »
Ha!.. they'd never take me alive!

Bwahahaha! Love It!!!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2020, 04:14 PM »
Cool video, PG.
Beautiful country up there.
A little surprised at how fast that battery saw walked through those spruce branches.

Looking forward to your review, Joe.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:36 PM »
Thats great i need to see that in action..
They sound excellent
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:17 PM »
First day with new sensors, i.must say, they are as advertised, although bulky, they are very good, easy to use, easy to set up, I was able to receive alarms over 200 yards away..i.need to refine attachment to the trap, i have a plexiglass plate, with velcro on each one,  I used a velcro strap as well, I know I can simplify the set up, but so far, it gets a A++ for dependability and
ease of use.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2020, 07:13 PM »

Joe they would be great for walleye fishing at night.
MA

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2020, 07:30 PM »

Joe they would be great for walleye fishing at night.
Crappie too..
They have a very bright red LED that flashes when triggered, at the same time, a signal goes to the hand held, the hand held has 6 spaces, by numbering the sensors,  I know exactly what trap is tripped..

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2020, 08:09 PM »
Crappie too..
They have a very bright red LED that flashes when triggered, at the same time, a signal goes to the hand held, the hand held has 6 spaces, by numbering the sensors,  I know exactly what trap is tripped..

Now that’s cool

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2020, 04:46 PM »
My final report on these things.

They are the real deal, if your into gadgets, spread your traps,  fish in a hard side or at night and want/need a signal devise, these are perfect, I still have the batteries I installed when I activated them,they still signal well and have range. Beyond what you can see, the red led light is visible from a long way off, the white flash light mode is nice for setting up in the dark..they are user friendly and dependable, I never had one not trigger with 50 or more flag/ trigger opportunities.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2020, 04:54 PM »
Seen it, it was awesome!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2020, 05:10 PM »
Yup, interesting to see them in action. Those lights were visable even in the sunlight from a good distance away.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2020, 05:14 PM »
Great report Joe. Great to see in action in person. Although I thought they looked as if they were ready to blast off into outer space or something....theyre very cool, and very helpful.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2020, 05:16 PM »
Great report Joe. Great to see in action in person. Although I thought they looked as if they were ready to blast off into outer space or something....theyre very cool, and very helpful.

They do look like something that might blow up..CD would love these things , just from a gadget perspective.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2020, 09:12 PM »
They do look like something that might blow up..CD would love these things , just from a gadget perspective.
Always game to try a gadget Joe, as long as their not too high tech?
Glad they worked out for you. Sounds like they'd be great, particularly for night fishing!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2020, 05:59 AM »
High tech for sure. I took a picture of one of your traps but it didn't come out. I think there is a force shield around your traps.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2020, 08:20 AM »
Always game to try a gadget Joe, as long as their not too high tech?
Glad they worked out for you. Sounds like they'd be great, particularly for night fishing!

CD these are great.... from seeing them on a YouTube video to real time...very impressive. They are perfect for anyone who likes to spreads their tip ups far apart and or fish at night...
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2020, 09:38 AM »
CD these are great.... from seeing them on a YouTube video to real time...very impressive. They are perfect for anyone who likes to spreads their tip ups far apart and or fish at night...
Yep, I'll bet they're handy for the visually impaired also.  ;)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2020, 10:25 AM »
Sucks but they would be worthless here in Michigan.  Here we "must" remain in "line of sight" from tip-ups, so that they can be visually monitored and quickly attended.  I know of a person who got a ticket for watching his tip-up out of his cabin window.  The DNR officer said he wasn't attending to them even though he could see them.  But then it is against the law to clean and throw fish entrails into the water too!  Crazy that you can't do that but you can gut a deer and leave the guts laying on the ground.  Pretty sure a deer has a bigger gut pile then a fish!!!  Before anyone starts, I'm pretty sure there are enough scavengers eating in the water to do away with fish guts.  Have you ever seen the amount of sea gulls at a McDonalds?  Putting fish entrails into the water might keep them on the lake, lol!!!

Similar in Minnesota. No way they would let you watch from a cabin.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 13, 2020, 11:44 AM »
Similar in Minnesota. No way they would let you watch from a cabin.

How about sitting inside a truck? I do it.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 13, 2020, 11:54 AM »
How about sitting inside a truck? I do it.

Would be OK if the truck is on the lake, like a shanty - assuming you could see the flag.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.