The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Unattended jig sticks  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
Unattended jig sticks
« on: Mar 03, 2019, 02:13 PM »
Had an embarrassing moment yesterday that I thought would be fun to share. Had a flag go up and set down my jig stick, on a bucket, baited with a live minnow. About 30 seconds later, while helping with landing the fish on the tip up, I hear a clunk and then splash. I quickly ran back into the shelter and find no trace of it. As best I can figure a lake trout (which is what we were catching) picked up the minnow and headed for Canada.

I have to laugh at my stupidity and was wondering if any of you folks have some funny stories that are similar?

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Unattended jig sticks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2019, 04:17 PM »
A whole box of perch bibbets down a hole....slid  off my lap and bounced off 5 things before going in.  It was in like 17 fow and a rocky bottom.  I went to shore, grabbed my net and some screwed together wooden poles...cut out a line of holes to fit the net down and spent 2 hours trying to fish them out.  It was a packed box too, at least 100 jigs in it...still  sitting wedged in between 2 rocks somewhere.  Tried finding it in the summer but with the weeds and water clarity its impossible.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2019, 04:27 PM »
 As best I can figure a lake trout (which is what we were catching) picked up the minnow and headed for Canada.

I have to laugh at my stupidity and was wondering if any of you folks have some funny stories that are similar?
[/quote]

I'll keep an eye out for it and ask my buddies to do the same!! :) ;)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2019, 05:13 PM »
I had a favorite sunnie rod stolen by a gull. Left it at the edge of the hole to empty my bucket in a bag at the sled and a gull spotted the spike tipped rocker and grabbed it. I yelled and ran as fast as I could back to the hole. It was like in slow motion. The gull wings beating like a duck gaining altitude and my prized rod swung right past me and I missed it. Gone...last time I saw it was 500 feet up headed south. A friend lost his cell phone down the hole yesterday at sandbar north. Bummer to be sure. I felt bad for him.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:05 PM »
As best I can figure a lake trout (which is what we were catching) picked up the minnow and headed for Canada.

I'll keep an eye out for it and ask my buddies to do the same!! :) ;)

Horseshoe shoal somewhere, a good long walk to get out there and from the looks of it no one else has been out there. But if you catch a laker with a clam meat stick medium action, and an old beat up abu Garcia orra sx taped to it, let me know!

Offline VTMTB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:46 PM »
Switching locations, bent over to pull my ducer out of the hole and (because i'm old) my reading glasses went down the hole.....fell out of my chest pocket.  Two hours later relaxing in my flip over, buddy heater churning away, I stretch out my legs in front of me, hook (what turned out to be a nice Brown) and while i'm  bringing the fish in I hear a "snap". I landed the fish and tried to figure where the "snapping" sound came from....apparently my right foot got too close to the heating while I was engaging the fish and melted one of the straps on my crampons ::)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:17 PM »
I was fishing Joes last winter in my hardside, it sits 14 inches off the ice, and is almost 100square foot. After a few too many mixed drinks I went to arrange my bed, and lifted my blanket up. Saw something fly through the air, bounce bounce bounce and then splash. Looked at my buddy “what was that?” 3 seconds later my Bluetooth speaker stops playing music. Brand new iPhone 8 down the hole. 100 square foot shanty, 12 inch circle hole open to the outside. It managed to find that and then fall straight down the 8 inch hole below. .34% of the floor space.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I had a favorite sunnie rod stolen by a gull. Left it at the edge of the hole to empty my bucket in a bag at the sled and a gull spotted the spike tipped rocker and grabbed it. I yelled and ran as fast as I could back to the hole. It was like in slow motion. The gull wings beating like a duck gaining altitude and my prized rod swung right past me and I missed it. Gone...last time I saw it was 500 feet up headed south. A friend lost his cell phone down the hole yesterday at sandbar north. Bummer to be sure. I felt bad for him.
I just heard that story this week from Walt.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2019, 08:05 PM »
I was fishing Joes last winter in my hardside, it sits 14 inches off the ice, and is almost 100square foot. After a few too many mixed drinks I went to arrange my bed, and lifted my blanket up. Saw something fly through the air, bounce bounce bounce and then splash. Looked at my buddy “what was that?” 3 seconds later my Bluetooth speaker stops playing music. Brand new iPhone 8 down the hole. 100 square foot shanty, 12 inch circle hole open to the outside. It managed to find that and then fall straight down the 8 inch hole below. .34% of the floor space.

You might have been arranging your bed but Murphy never sleeps!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2019, 08:16 PM »
Lost a handmade wooden jig stick down the hole to what I suppose was a laker on Seymour last year. I laid my stick down after spotting a flag up. Had a salmon on the tipup, but lost it when the line got hung up in a crack in the ice and sliced. Got back to my chair and the jig stick was gone. Was a bummer, but had to laugh thinking that jig stick must been floating like a bobber under the ice. 99 percent of the time I usually wrap the stick around one of the legs on the lawn chair, but was a little too excited about the flag.

Offline Dickeymodo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Dropped my phone in the hole in Mallets Bay a couple weeks ago. Watched it slowly sink away...

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:42 PM »
These are great, thanks for the laughs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:25 AM »
Horseshoe shoal somewhere, a good long walk to get out there and from the looks of it no one else has been out there. But if you catch a laker with a clam meat stick medium action, and an old beat up abu Garcia orra sx taped to it, let me know!
Watch the ice out there. Currents from carry cut can really change the thickness on horseshoe at times. I have seen it change from a foot to a couple of inches in the past. I have a very experienced friend who splashed his wheeler out there about 5 years ago. It all ended well because he had a flotation suit but it cost him some bucks for the bike retrieval.

I just heard that story this week from Walt.
Haven't seen Walt or George for a while. If you run into them say hi from me Ken.

sunniewally

« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:47 AM »

It truly seems those little holes have an attraction to you fishing tackle that boggles the mind!! The impossible happens! ;D ;D

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:54 AM »
i have 2 jigging rods in 20 fow stands and all. we fished out the stand holder out but no rod

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Fished Tabor point with my g/f at the time (wife now), a friend, and my at the time 5yo step daughter.  Had out portable set up with a dozen tip ups out.  daughter was fishing in the shanty with her mom when I heard "whoops!  HHEEYYY!!!"  Step daughter came out of the shanty crying that she dropped her jig stick down the hole.  I was like oh thats ok its plastic it should just float right there.  Go in to get it for her and its nowhere to be seen.  I looked at my wife and asked her what happened and she said it popped out of her hand and immediately straight down the hole and gone! haha  Look on my daughters face when I told her I didn't think she "dropped" her jig stick was priceless haha

Offline Raven71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:28 AM »
Saturday, my son and I were jigging in the shack using our new Marcum Recon 5 underwater camera - only the third time we've used it!   About a 150 yards away, one of our tip ups goes off,  so we reel up our poles and head out to the tip up. We had a nice big fish on the tip up. We'd bring it in and then it would run again  - most likely a Laker. Eventually it appeared to get hung up on the bottom. The only thing we could do at that point was just pull as hard as we could and hope the line didn't break. Well the line didn't break, so we were able to continue to pulling the line up. It felt different but still had some weight to it. We kept pulling the line in and pulled up the underwater camera wrapped around the line. My son ran back to shack and looked inside to see that the Marcum unit was gone!!!  Apparently, when we thought the fish had got hung up on the bottom, we were actually pulling the whole Marcum unit off the ice shack floor and down into the hole. We pulled the whole unit up through the tip hole. It was completely saturated with water - water was pouring out of it. Needless to say, it's now a dead unit. Ugh!!!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Dang, sorry about the camera. I drop my jig stick in the fish bucket and set the fish bucket almost completely over the hole.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Brochet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Island_Viking - the same thing happened to me a year ago !  Fishing with my daughter, she called for help pulling in a big fish on a tipup, so I left the jig rod propped up in a bucket - no time to reel in I figured, and it was a slow day so what are the chances...   ???

A minute later while we were pulling a pike out of a hole, I saw something move out of the corner of my eye, and we watched the rod fly out of the bucket and disappear !  Lesson learned, on a slow day the fish will strike just when you are least prepared for it !

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Watch the ice out there. Currents from carry cut can really change the thickness on horseshoe at times. I have seen it change from a foot to a couple of inches in the past. I have a very experienced friend who splashed his wheeler out there about 5 years ago. It all ended well because he had a flotation suit but it cost him some bucks for the bike retrieval.
Haven't seen Walt or George for a while. If you run into them say hi from me Ken.

The ice definitely was thinner over top of the reef. Noticed it when I was scouting the area. Also spotted some off colored patches compared to the rest of the area. Steering clear of those spots for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:10 AM »

Will do Frank. I fish with Walt every time I go out. I would consider him a real "super senior". He and I have been out this year when conditions kept everyone else off the ice. Not bad considering he is going to 87 years young this spring. He is a true sportsman and gentleman.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Walt is certainly one of a kind and certainly doesn't act like he is 87. Great to fish with and a real gentleman. I have had some of my best times out fishing flat fish with him. The good old days on Pauquettes with he and George will always stay at the top of my memory. I remember one beautiful sunny warm day in late March when around 8 of us including Walt and George were all sitting real close on a very small white patch at PQ. It was one of those epic days when as soon as you drop a pie plate sized seed would hit. We were all just sitting there and pulling them up for the longest time. The memories........I have been fishing perch about every day and am about to switch over for the flats which are my favorite. I'll see you guys out there.

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Ive got two pair of glasses over the years down the drink

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2019, 12:34 PM »
In two days I lost 2 rods 1 skimmer and a camera flash.
My buddy had this contraption that was called "The Jerk" some kind of shelf hook setting tip up.
Well for about 3 years we made fun of him because the thing never got hit, then one day on a gravel pit where the above mentioned gear
lays we finally heard "The Jerk" go off just in time to see it 3' in the air and headed straight for the hole. It went through
that 8" hole without missing a beat, we stood there just amazed that (1) finally something felt sorry enough for my pal and
gave it a tug (2) that it entered that 8" hole without hardly making a splash. In the diving world it would have been scored
at least an 8.5 Lol. Now we make fun of him for getting 1 bite on "The Jerk"and seeing it disappear for ever.
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2019, 07:16 PM »
In two days I lost 2 rods 1 skimmer and a camera flash.
My buddy had this contraption that was called "The Jerk" some kind of shelf hook setting tip up.
Well for about 3 years we made fun of him because the thing never got hit, then one day on a gravel pit where the above mentioned gear
lays we finally heard "The Jerk" go off just in time to see it 3' in the air and headed straight for the hole. It went through
that 8" hole without missing a beat, we stood there just amazed that (1) finally something felt sorry enough for my pal and
gave it a tug (2) that it entered that 8" hole without hardly making a splash. In the diving world it would have been scored
at least an 8.5 Lol. Now we make fun of him for getting 1 bite on "The Jerk"and seeing it disappear for ever.

Flying through the air with the greatest of ease

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2019, 02:36 PM »
This past weekend, my father lost his jig stick down the shanty hole because the soft ice and wind made the anchors come out (hub-style) and the side collapsed in. A little help from a large PK Spoon and the Aqua View and it was a successful recovery mission! It never gets old showing people the things they drop down the hole on an Aqua View.
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:56 PM »
This past weekend, my father lost his jig stick down the shanty hole because the soft ice and wind made the anchors come out (hub-style) and the side collapsed in. A little help from a large PK Spoon and the Aqua View and it was a successful recovery mission! It never gets old showing people the things they drop down the hole on an Aqua View.

Glad you got it back

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.