The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Three people through the ice in Springfield,Ma.  (Read 1317 times)

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Three people through the ice in Springfield,Ma.
« on: Feb 24, 2024, 06:36 AM »
Two people tring to reescue one who felld through yesterday  2/22/24 and all three where rescued by the SFD at Van Horn Pond off of Armory St.It looks like they used  soome type of plastic sheet rolled out to them . They were about 30 yards from shore.  I have fish that pond in the summer its got spme jumbo carp in it.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Three people through the ice in Springfield,Ma.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2024, 08:05 AM »
two other people fell in at lake goerge in whales, thin ice out there folks :'(

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2024, 03:25 PM »
a rescue at cheshire lake today. Posted by cheshire fire dept on FB

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2024, 04:45 PM »
Was on buel thursday the ice was crap.  By afternoon 5-6" of ice was flexing on every step.  Next week is going to end the season for a lot of places.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2024, 05:28 PM »
Was on buel thursday the ice was crap.  By afternoon 5-6" of ice was flexing on every step.  Next week is going to end the season for a lot of places.
spot burner

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2024, 06:27 PM »
spot burner

Id rather that than someone go for a swim.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2024, 02:26 AM »
Just goes to show that people need to learn how to properly check the ice. How do so many people fall through if they own a chisel and check the ice? That includes checking periodically through the day on warm days too.
Unfortunately way too many people have no clue how to check or don't even own a chisel (spud) . We were on 8" , 6" of that was window pane clear ice yesterday north of Worcester. Best I've seen in a while too.

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2024, 04:29 AM »
To anyone wondering, it was a 13 year old kid out there who fell through first. He wasn't ice fishing and was out there "because he was curious". Half the pond was open water and he decided to walk towards the open water section. Anyone with any common sense at all would have never been in his position to begin with. There is still plenty of good ice in the area but with it being almost March its important to check conditions yourself. Don't just stroll out there and don't take any bodies word for it that it's going to be safe.

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2024, 06:33 PM »
It may be a good idea for some seasoned ice fishermen to maybe explained the process of checking ice with a spud bar to maybe save a rescue (or a life ) this would be a good time  👍🏿

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2024, 04:38 AM »
I am from the area...there is NO good ice I would go on even further out in Granby/Belchertoun...Quabbin is wide open...Clear ice is the worst type of ice late...it allows the ice to melt (sun rays) from the BOTTEM UP.....it always is 39 degrees on my fishfinder down below....remember seeing thoughs gas bnubbles under the ice the melting is started it is Co2/methane mostly.....I always see those spud hole while at the ramps/pathways......The ice is always thicker a few ft. from shore.....ice  forms from the shore out and melts the same way.

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2024, 05:56 AM »
I am from the area...there is NO good ice I would go on even further out in Granby/Belchertoun...Quabbin is wide open...Clear ice is the worst type of ice late...it allows the ice to melt (sun rays) from the BOTTEM UP.....it always is 39 degrees on my fishfinder down below....remember seeing thoughs gas bnubbles under the ice the melting is started it is Co2/methane mostly.....I always see those spud hole while at the ramps/pathways......The ice is always thicker a few ft. from shore.....ice  forms from the shore out and melts the same way.
I was on 8 inches just a few minutes east of springfield yesterday. All of the ponds in the sturbridge area had 6+. It wasn't that spongey white ice either, it was clear and strong.

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2024, 06:18 AM »
Id rather that than someone go for a swim.
For sure! I was there Saturday and it was definitely sketchy, I won't be back.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2024, 06:22 AM »
For sure! I was there Saturday and it was definitely sketchy, I won't be back.

Thats a shame.  Quite a few years where I was driving on in March...

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2024, 06:58 AM »
Thats a shame.  Quite a few years where I was driving on in March...

Quite a few years where i was ice fishing in RI and MA until end of March..... its been years now since we have even had fiahable ice at my go to ponds. Crazy. Sad.
Just add water.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2024, 08:03 AM »
Nothing will be safe in the forecast of high 50s startng today with rain /wind. I am going out today to look for open water/shore fishing in the areaI took all my ice stuff out of my van and  put my shore fishing stuff in...see you next season guys

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2024, 09:46 AM »
looking to get the boat ready in the next couple of weeks, and get the golf clubs cleaned and ready ;D

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2024, 01:06 PM »
I was just talking to my brother in-law on the phone when he tells me he went back to Buel for one last go, which was crazy because he was out there with me on Saturday. He actually went through the ice while on the phone with me. After be on pins and needles for about a half an hour, someone called me and said they pulled him out and he's OK. Long story short, be careful!!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2024, 01:24 PM »
Currently on 8" , 6 "window pane clear. 2" crap white.  This is the sunny all day area. Shady shore 10" , measured today.
Rutland pond . Yes the top is soft right now. Shoreline was good and tight coming out. The plank was also put out for getting off later. Precautionary only .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.