Author Topic: 11# Green Mountain Laker 2-12-11  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Brute Force

• IceShanty Rookie
11# Green Mountain Laker 2-12-11
« on: Feb 15, 2011, 01:33 PM »
We decided to check a couple different places on the fish n' map and it paid off!
At least for my 6 year old son!

While plowing through a whole bag of Dorito's he was zeroed in on his pole. He sets down the chips, hops down off the quad and just starts reeling. Grandpa bolts over, reaches over him, grabs the tip of the pole and gives it a hookset for good measure. We figure it is one of the skinny 14" lakers but that soon changed when he had a hard time picking the pole back up!
He did all the work though and brought it to the surface.
Surprisingly the fish didnt fight as hard as i would have thought, just heavy and two runs.
Fish was taped at 31 x 17 and was released for some other lucky person.
Standard green tube with sucker meat.
This was the only fish we pulled up in this spot and we actually had to move to get the skunk off our backs after 1 o'clock.

Offline HRDH2OJUNKIE

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 11# Green Mountain Laker 2-12-11
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Holy Cow! Nice Laker!

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Very nice bud!!! Granby this weekend?  ;) ;) ;) ;D
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline Brute Force

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Holy Cow! Nice Laker!
Thanks. Well my son says thanks anyways. ::) I am really jealous cuz my boy has a double digit fish & I don't.

Very nice bud!!! Granby this weekend?  ;) ;) ;) ;D
Yeah I wanna go also. Gotta see if mama will give me the kitchen pass since I took the boy out last weekend.
How is your sled running? I hear they have a foot of snow on Granby. G.M. had about eight inches on it.

Offline mcnasty4233

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2011, 07:39 PM »
great mack for your boy!!!!  I just like to say "Thanks big lake trout are great to catch and even better to dump back in the lake and spread those good genes for future fish..."  Replicas are just as nice as a real fish mount
fish all day drink all night....!!!!!!!

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:59 AM »
That's about what was there last weekend, we're going to give the islands a try on sat. Sled runs good, not the quickest but it'll work for now.
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:05 AM »
Nice fish! Any bigger and you might of had to hold on to your son to keep him from going in the hole! :)

Offline wyobrink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:48 PM »
Nice fish.  How is the access on Green Mtn Reservoir?  How is the fish population in the lake.

Offline Brute Force

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:04 AM »
Nice fish.  How is the access on Green Mtn Reservoir?  How is the fish population in the lake.

There are two main access points (boat ramps) to get on the lake. Parking sux at both if you have a trailer!
Fish poulation is great.......for stunted skinny 14" lakers. They just increased the limit to 8 lakers to help thin them out.
This is probably largest fish pictured for this lake in ten+ years?
I am very proud that my son was ok with releasing the fish!

Offline wyobrink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2011, 12:47 PM »
I'm moving to the Denver area from Northeastern Utah in mid-March.  When does Green Mtn typically ice off?  I fish Flaming Gorge for macs a lot over here. 

Offline Brute Force

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2011, 01:20 PM »
I would guess that the ice on G.M. gets sketchy around the first part of April. (8,000' in elevation)
G.M. is prolly the shortest drive from denver (+-1hr 40mins) for lake trout but the ski traffic is absolutely terrible at the end of the day.
Grandby & Williams Fork Res. are just a little further drive but you still run into some of the traffic. (8,300' in elev)
They are by far better quality lake trout fisheries but nothing like the pigs that come out of Flaming gorge.
Granby is the destination for the front range mac fisherman here but Willy's in a close second.
Willy's Fork is owned by Denver Water so they do not allow motorized vehicles on the ice.
Blue Mesa down in Gunnison holds multiple state records for lakers but its 4 1/2 hour drive in good weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.