Author Topic: Keeping holes open  (Read 2948 times)

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Keeping holes open
« on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:01 PM »
I just had a pretty good laugh on the Pennsylvania board. Same topic. Check it out. Anyways, here was my reply there. I absolutely hated running multiple tipups when it was blowing snow or very cold to the point where I wouldn't even use them. So this was my solution. Always willing to share what I learn as I learn it. But as for now I'm taking full credit for the 5 below cover. Watch out shark tank!!!  Hahaha

Go to 5 below...  It's like a fancy dollar store. In the back there's usually a section with some work out excercize stuff...  There u will see foam puzzle piece mats for floor padding... Buy a few for 3 bucks a pop n cut holes two inches bigger than your auger. Mines 8" so I cut 10" dia. Then cut a line to center and another so it makes a small "T" just like the ones sold for 10 bucks online. Works like a charm. Fished all day Saturday n never cleared a hole once with snow and wind blowing all day...  Even when they're completely covered your good...  Maybe even better BC of extra insulation.

Y'all catchin?

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
Re: Keeping holes open
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:38 PM »
That’s a good idea. Sunday I spend a lot of time keeping the holes open.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Man I'm telling ya. I was desperate. But now I won't leave home without them if it's below freezing or blowing snow. But I will add this: if you choose to find foam elsewhere, I'd make sure that it's a closed cell foam. I'm thinking that a loose, bubbly, open celled foam would absorb water and freeze to the ice. I was amazed at how well mine worked. And to fit ten tipups I only spent 15 bucks. I got two covers out of each square. Could have possibly gotten 3 if I cut them smaller but I wanted good overlap. I saved the leftover pieces. So far I've used it for covering my hooks when I wrap the tipups and store them. I've made a neck sheath for a curved blade morel knife. It could be used for tying poppers for bluegill. Who knows...  It's coming in handy. I originally thought of using the squares for a floor cover in the shanty, maybe that'll come later. For the price it's very reasonable. Might even be able to fashion some bobbers out of it.

Y'all catchin?

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip Fly.  I am going to make and take some to Lake Champlain in February.  Might even get to use some on DCL.

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 03:00 PM »
Hey Fly.  For storing my hooks/reels when not in use I use rubber bands to hook on the hook and stretch it around the reel to hook onto the little knives that trips the flag.... at least this works on my Jack-Traps. 

Flags!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:08 PM »
Good idea. But that leaves the points out to snag on things. I used the leftover foam, cut squares with a slit to center and slide it down onto the hook covering all points then just snug the line in on the edge of the spool. I just keep the squares in a pocket when fishing n keep an extra piece of foam incase I lose some.

Y'all catchin?

Offline Jeremy Quick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:51 PM »
I like it

Offline Mikeguard01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:03 AM »
That's a lot cheaper than the store bought  Ice Fishing Hole Insulator Covers. They sell for 6 to 8 $ a piece.

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Great idea Flyfish, thanks, good post

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.