Author Topic: Jigging with braid  (Read 3926 times)

Offline MassBass85

• IceShanty Rookie
Jigging with braid
« on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:37 AM »
I currently have some 4lb mono spooled up on my jigging rod but was wondering if any of you have ever used normal spectra power pro braid? I just ask because I have some 5lb lying around that I know I will never use for open water fishing. Is normal (non-ice braid) usable or will it have too much issues icing up? Would coating the line in something like petroleum jelly prevent it from freezing up? I should mention I will pretty much only be targeting panfish with this, but for those that do use braid, do you worry about running a leader or would I be okay with tying direct to the small jigs? Thanks!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jigging with braid
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Unless it's above freezing, you'll have a hard time with it iceing up your guides and on your reel. If it was a fuzed braid you might be ok. I used the fused fireline, but mostly as a backing (1/2 to 2/3 of the spool) then I use an improved Albright knot to connect fluorocarbon (I use seguar red lable) to spool up rest of the way.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2016, 01:44 PM »
just spooled up with suffix ice braid. Put 8lb on one rod and 6lb on another. Both walleye rods. The rod with 8lb doubles as a laker rod. All of my other laker rods have 10lb power pro braid for main lines. I do fish in a shack all the time though with the heat on so freeze ups dont really bother me.

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2016, 11:18 AM »
I fish mostly panfish, i use braid(suffix or power pro) 6lbs for my spoon rods with a small barrel swivel and 4 lbs floro and a quick snap. It will freeze on really cold days, but i just slide the ice down the line or stay in the shanty. i would recommend the leader, especially for crappie, they can be gun shy sometimes with thick line.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2016, 09:23 PM »
I fish mostly panfish, i use braid(suffix or power pro) 6lbs for my spoon rods with a small barrel swivel and 4 lbs floro and a quick snap. It will freeze on really cold days, but i just slide the ice down the line or stay in the shanty. i would recommend the leader, especially for crappie, they can be gun shy sometimes with thick line.

Exactly what I do too.

J-

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:29 AM »
I've used fireline and suffix 832 they work well. Been trying out Berkley Nanofil and I really like it. 4# but very strong and as thin as thread and I tie directly to my jig.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:40 AM »
If you are fishing very deep (20' or deeper) you will catch more fish on a braid because you eliminate the stretch on hooksets, plus you can feel bites so much better. I like Fireline micro ice. Use the 2# test and it helps quite a bit with the icing issues. 4# is as big as you should go IMO.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2017, 10:14 AM »
I tried using "braided line" again a couple weeks ago and remembered why i don't anymore. Instead of just the tip  of your rod freezing up, all the guides will freeze up.
Yes the sensitivity is nice and the hookset can be enhanced if you are fishing deeper. I also noticed that i had WAY less bites using the braid. Me theory is that they can see the line above the leader and that the braid imparts different action on my jig because it cant replicate what mono does.
I went back to my 6# Sensithin and resumed catching fish.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2017, 07:32 PM »
Jigging with braid, just slow your jigging down.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2017, 01:01 PM »
2lb fireline. Flouro leader. Double Uni knot or something like that for connection. No barrel swivel. Stealth. And you can feel them breathing on it.

Offline walleyemaverick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2017, 12:10 PM »
This year im experimenting with braid a bit more, last year i spooled and tied directly to lure with braid and didnt like the results (20-30 fow)

This year ive spooled my rods with 6lb braid and tied on equal test mono as a leader (just pulled off arms length) and tied them directly together, didnt have small enough swivel. But i like the result so far. Next time im at the bait shop ill try to get some small swivels for tying on the leader, it will also make it easier to replace a leader once it gets short.  I think think thisis a good setup since it give me the sensitivity while still not having visible line tied to the hook.

Offline skuhnert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:57 AM »
i like to use a flouro leader when fishing clear water.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2017, 10:54 AM »
i fish with braid a lot, and freeze-ups are always an issue. i either slide the ice down the line so it will thaw underwater, or if the bite is consistent enough i'll just set up my shelter and fish inside.

honestly, i prefer braid for ice fishing. i like the sensitivity i get from it, plus line visibility, and my hooksets are better, especially in deeper water.
for the longest time i used 5lb test power pro, but this year i finally ran out and i'm about to spool up with 8lb test power pro Ice Braid. we'll see how that changes things.

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:45 AM »
I love braid in the shanty but use mono outside. I'm generally not fishing more than 20ft down for panfish though.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Put wax on your guides, they will ice up less.

Floor wax, car wax, furniture wax, it really doesn't matter.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.