The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Garmin Panoptix  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
Garmin Panoptix
« on: Oct 12, 2017, 01:21 PM »
Is anyone else amazed by this new technology/ice unit??  The ability to see fish up to 300' horizontally from you...Seriously??  Boy would I like to demo one of these units....cause they cost $1799.99.  :o

Check out this video...pretty cool stuff.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Garmin Panoptix
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2017, 07:25 PM »
it's some thing else, sideways, but no one knows how well it works compared to what else we have fishing with it vertically yet.
can't fish sideways on ice lol. maybe if you get a fishing drone.

i understand it gets you closer to fish and maybe on top of them faster than any thing else, but i want to be able to pick them off if they are stacked from the top of the stack and not spook them just blindly dropping jigs on their heads.

so it seems to new for people to say how well it works after you get on top of them. i also would like to see it in action using it like a normal sonar. the videos show how it works sideways.

i can't find any specs on IR or cone angles and target separation ect on it. seems like garmin would be proud to tell us those things.

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2017, 07:44 PM »
It might have a place for it, at times. But $1800 is a lot of cash. When my unit works just fine.🤔 For now, I will stick with old faithful. Unit I hear its a must to have and best unit ever

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2017, 09:07 AM »
I can just imagine telling my fishing buddy....."Fish 30ft that way....little more left, little more, now back 2ft....yup right there...drill a hole and you should be right on top of them"....LOL....would have to add a long tape measure to my fishing arsenal.  ;D
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2017, 08:19 PM »
I seen on this site were someone rigged a portible bracket as to set your transducer from your flasher  to hold it sideways down the hole to pan. Never tried it,  but it makes sense? Has anyone tried it? I've seen guys swirl the transducer in deep water to see more area.

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:12 AM »
Yes, they make a clip that can go on your portable device say vexilar for example. You can up it on fairly quick and easy. Then u can slowly turn the cable to find the school of fish or rock pile or brush pile. Again a lot cheaper than $1800. You can find it if you type in " beam bender ice fishing finder sonar angle bender" it will make your vexilar or whatever unit you use. So much more versibl. AND a lot less $$$$$$ plus you don't have to learn how to use another unit🤔

Offline joedevera

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2017, 11:09 PM »
I can just imagine telling my fishing buddy....."Fish 30ft that way....little more left, little more, now back 2ft....yup right there...drill a hole and you should be right on top of them"....LOL....would have to add a long tape measure to my fishing arsenal.  ;D

That's basically our plan, minus the tape measure lol. My tournament partner picked one up during the offseason and has been figuring it out on his boat. It's basically side scan imaging on steroids. I can't wait to get out and try that thing on ice!!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2017, 01:08 AM »
Makes me want to take my Humminbird 360 off of the boat and give it a try. No fiddling with a piece of pipe, all of the scanning can be done from the Helix unit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.