The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT Maple Taps  (Read 155506 times)

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: OT Maple Taps
« Reply #870 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:39 PM »
decent sap run today but not as good as I was hoping, got about 10 gal out of 22 taps! looks like the next run wont be until Wednesday.
Never Give Up!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #871 on: Mar 21, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Think there is better than a month before anything happens up here even if you can get in the woods.  Snow is deep!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #872 on: Mar 22, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Think there is better than a month before anything happens up here even if you can get in the woods.  Snow is deep!

yeah but you never know. a few more feet of snow and the sap will be pushing out the tops of the trees :)

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Don't yell FLAG, yell KEYCHAIN!!!
« Reply #873 on: Mar 22, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Sap runs have been few and far between but tomorrow I'll be boiling off 15 gallons or so.  The maiden run for the new setup...

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #874 on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Had my first "big" boil today. Also my first boil on my homemade evaporator. It is so much faster than my colman stove, I had it going about 5 gallons an hour and it made short work of my 20 gallons of sap! Heres my setup.
And the fruits of my labor.

Offline RocketRollinSX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #875 on: Mar 29, 2014, 05:45 AM »
That's a pretty nice setup.  I popped in another 20 taps last night putting me at about 450 taps total.  Only made about 5 gallons of syrup so far this year...usually pushing 50 by now.  Looking like this week will be a good run.  Hoping it lasts and doesn't warm up to much to fast.

https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #876 on: Mar 29, 2014, 06:36 AM »
Might be able to make syrup right through April central Maine northward looking at the long range.  @)

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #877 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:46 AM »
I get a lot of "sand" looking stuff at the bottom of my jars after I let them sit overnight. Is this bad and if so how do I remove/prevent it?

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #878 on: Mar 29, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Look back in this post .the subject has come up . I think you can filter it out ? But you don't have to .

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #879 on: Mar 29, 2014, 01:33 PM »
I get a lot of "sand" looking stuff at the bottom of my jars after I let them sit overnight. Is this bad and if so how do I remove/prevent it?

The old timers let what they thought to be finished syrup sit in a cool place for as much as a week before before bottling, the "gunk" all settles to the bottom and you just take off the clear.  Or you can go to your supplier and get a wool filter and some pre filters, just make sure you don't bottle your syrup above 185 degrees, you are still making nitre at that point.

G.B. is right, take a look back through the pages on this thread, many good suggestions to cut the learning curve down. @)

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #880 on: Mar 29, 2014, 06:36 PM »
I think I am canning it while it is still to hot then. After it sits for a few days and the gunk settles and the sap is very clear. It still tastes fine but is it bad for it?

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #881 on: Mar 29, 2014, 09:31 PM »
As stated, there are lots of good ideas earlier on in this thread, but my process is usually to finish it, then dump it into big jars.  Set it in the fridge for a day or two then carefully pour off the clear stuff into the final jars.  Then I water bath can the final jars.  The leftover sludge can be used to cook down into maple candy.  This from a "seasoned" veteran in my third year of production, so take it for what it's worth :)

Offline hornberg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #882 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:28 AM »
The sludge will settle over night, I pour it in a 5 gallon bucket then reheat and package the next day.

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #883 on: Mar 31, 2014, 02:24 PM »
I tried a new filter this weekend and man the finshed goods are crystal clear now!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #884 on: Mar 31, 2014, 02:25 PM »
I tried a new filter this weekend and man the finshed goods are crystal clear now!

I knew you seemed coachable. ;D  Looking at the forecast, guess it's time for me to get a few taps in. :)

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #885 on: Mar 31, 2014, 02:27 PM »
I also waited until the sap was 185 to jar, makes a world of diffrence. Thanks for the help.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #886 on: Mar 31, 2014, 02:29 PM »
I also waited until the sap was 185 to jar, makes a world of diffrence. Thanks for the help.

It is so addicting to see how good a final product you can make. @)

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #887 on: Mar 31, 2014, 02:32 PM »
Without a doubt, I even put in 5 more taps after seeing how good my boiler worked.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #888 on: Mar 31, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Without a doubt, I even put in 5 more taps after seeing how good my boiler worked.

Yup, you officially have the fever. ;D

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #889 on: Mar 31, 2014, 04:16 PM »
If the sap is going to come, this week looks like prime time.  Tap 'em if you got 'em, boys...
It sure looks sappy!

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #890 on: Apr 02, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Looked like a big day in the making when I left this morning (vid).

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #891 on: Apr 02, 2014, 12:53 PM »
I finally got around to putting in 10 taps yesterday, don't think I've missed much at all given my locale.  Didn't run like I had hope , cold wind off the lake, but a friend 3 miles away ran like crazy.  I expect a little better run today, game on I guess. ;D

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #892 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Yesterday I was afraid I might be done.  Seemed like my trees were looking a little too leafy.  But I managed to collect a little over 3 gallons today.  Maybe it'll turn around in the next few days...

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #893 on: Apr 02, 2014, 09:05 PM »
I expected a better run yesterday, only got 4 gallons from 15 taps. haven't checked today haul yet.

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #894 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:11 AM »
I got 40 gallons on tue. Best run so far for me.  Didn't have time to get it yesterday, I'm sure the buckets will be full today. Only made 1 gallon so far, sittiing on one more. Way behind last year. @)
How they biten

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #895 on: Apr 03, 2014, 03:57 PM »
WOW, the trees really let loose today!

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #896 on: Apr 03, 2014, 09:56 PM »
A little over 6 gallons from 30 taps today.  Most of my trees are just barely big enough to allow one tap, so I guess that's not a bad day.  If tomorrow goes the same I'll be boiling off 40-50 gallons this weekend...

Offline MaineBoy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #897 on: Apr 04, 2014, 09:51 AM »
With a little over 100 taps in we collected about 30+ gallons yesterday and have made 1 and a half gallons of sap so far, just me and my old man
Fish hard, Fish often!

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #898 on: Apr 04, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Took the day off yesterday to boil some of this sap I'm swimming in.  Should've just gone in to work because I got a little sidetracked working on other things and burned up my pan.   :%$#!: (Not my proudest moment. ::) )  I'm still sitting on 100+ gallons and need to get back at it, so any of you experienced guys have any magic tricks for taking this black off?  It's been soaked in vinegar, scrubbed, scraped and soaked again over night (all without doing much good).  Planning to light a fire under the vinegar tonight then scrub the crap out of it with Bar Keepers Friend but after that, I'm out of ideas.  ??? 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #899 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:53 AM »
OUCH!  EZ Off Oven cleaner, a good scothbrite pad or four, and some old fashion elbow grease, you are going to be awhile. ;D  I have heard of baking soda and lemon juice being used as well but if vinegar didn't touch it not sure those options will either.  Whatever you do Ryan, especially if you try the oven cleaner, rinse real well after.  Good luck.

Maybe a little dremel tool with a brush as a last resort ???  Bacon Farms may have some suggestions as well. @)

LUNCHTIME UPDATE - you better get that pan taking care of because they are running 1.5 gpt today in central Maine. :o @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.