Author Topic: Mr Buddy heaters  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Eyefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Mr Buddy heaters
« on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:43 AM »
I want to purchase heater for my shelter. I have read where the Mr Buddy portable heaters do not work well above 7500 ft. Does anyone have experience with these? Usually fish the mile, antero, john, and sometimes granby, Thanks!

Offline Fish Wolf

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Mr Buddy heaters
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:20 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH12C-000-Cooker/dp/B00002N82X

only kind I have had and never a problem regardless of altitude. When its lunch just flip it and now you have a stove top

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:33 AM »
I mostly fish The Blue Mesa. 7519 Feet and have never had a problem with my Buddy Heater.
<===Lefty===

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:39 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH12C-000-Cooker/dp/B00002N82X

only kind I have had and never a problem regardless of altitude. When its lunch just flip it and now you have a stove top
This is the same kind I use and have for years at the Mile which is about 9200'. As Fish Wolf says it's nice for heating up some groceries also. That price on Amazon looks a little stiff though. Seems like I've seen them around   $50 this year. Mine seems to light easiest with a stick match.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline gnatboy911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:54 AM »
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Quiet-Blind-HeaterCooker-by-Mr-Heater/746156.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dpropane%2Bheater%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=propane+heater&WTz_l=Unknown

this is the kind I have.  Never had a problem. You can also flip it up to heat some coffee.  light weight.  I have also heard about the mr. buddy heaters not working properly at altitude.  My dad had one several years ago and it would shut off sometimes.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:57 AM »
x2 what Wolf-boy says-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:15 AM »
<===Lefty===

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:41 AM »
I have the mr. heater little buddy.  I don't think it ever shut off on me and I've used it up to 9500ft ice fishing and at elk camp.  I just bought a mr buddy big heater for my elk camp tent and it was awesome.  I used it with a 20lb propane tank.  It has a battery powered fan to circulate the warm air.  Very nice, no issues at elevation.  I have the mr. heater/cooker that I don't use.  I'm not sure what happened but several years ago I couldn't get it to regulate or turn off once it was on.  Kind of scary.  Does anyone know what might be the issue?  I also thought I read that heater/cooker is not designed to be used in a fully enclosed space.  The other mr buddy heaters are safe for enclosed spaces.

Offline cat26fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:19 AM »
My friend had the little buddy one and it never worked consistently at antero in the winter, whenever he really needed it it never worked.   He said if he kept the propane tank in the cab on the way up, it would work fine,  he thought potentially the propane was getting too cold or frozen, I don't know if there is any science to support that or not. 

Cheers,
Brad

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:40 AM »
 The Mr Buddy heaters have a O2 sensor in them that will cause them to turn off if the O2 get too low. Some times you get one that works without a problem and then there are a few that won't work at all . In the earlier models this was a big issue and even on the box they stated not to be used above 7000 feet. I have talked with Mr Heater directly and they say they have solved the issue. I have still seen some not work right . Now the MR heater Heater/Cooker does not have an O2 sensor and is more reliable and as was stated above you can turn it up boil some water and have a hot meal out on the ice with some of the freeze-dried meals . Nice to have on those real cold days when fishing is slow .

On colder days the 1lb propane bottels will start to freeze up and you won't get all the propane out. There is a fix to this it is a big cooze that will help keep the bottle warm and from freezing up .This helps to get the most use out of the propane . Just Remember when using a heater in a shelter to make sure you have some ventilation . We don't want to hear of someone found dead in the shelter from lack of oxygen. This seams to happen every now and then with guys camping during hunting season.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:57 AM »
As waterwhipper says, the heater/cooker, model MH15C is not rated to be used in an enclosed space. I usually fish with the lid of my flip half way up so I can keep contact with a deadstick a ways off. Also furnishes as much fresh air as I choose to breath in that day. The radiant heat is still plenty. Northern Tool has that model for $49.99 plus freight but Colorado Tackle Pro has them in stock I believe.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Eyefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:38 AM »
Thanks for the info. My part time ice fishing buddy has one like everyone recommends and it works well. Thanks again!!

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:48 PM »
They are bullet proof.....starts up easy, warms quick...really nice product...no issues at 8000ft...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.