Author Topic: Just moved to Fort Collins from Michigan  (Read 1227 times)

Offline haydo601

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just moved to Fort Collins from Michigan
« on: Nov 25, 2010, 03:01 PM »
Hey guys, just recently moved here from Marquette, Michigan and looking for any tips on what lakes have ice and locations of them! i have no idea where on where to go and i'm willing to travel to get there! any tips or info will help me out alot, id like to get out on the ice this weekend! thanks alot

Offline finkyfever

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Just moved to Fort Collins from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2010, 05:56 PM »
I moved from Fort Collins a few years ago.  Red Feather lakes are fairly close and offer some pretty easy fishing opportunities.  There is also a Wellington Lake just north of FoCo.  It has trout and perch for sure.  If you want to get giant trout, South Park and North Park are the areas to to.  Antero and 11 Mile in South Park and Lake John and other lakes in North Park.  If you want Lake Trout, Granby isn't too far from Denver.  I haven't fished much for panfish in Colorado, but I know many of the metro lakes such as Aurora are popular with locals.  Only problem with the flatland lakes is they don't always have a long season. 

Ice Shanty forum is probably better forum overall, but there is pretty limited activity regarding Colorado ice fishing.   There are a couple other sites just for Colorado fishing that have more action.  Try fishexplorer.com and coloradofisherman.com.  There is a ton of info about CO fishing, especially ice fishing on Colorado Fisherman.  (I guess it is ok to share other forums.)   You might also find some fishing buddies. 

Hope you have a great season.

Offline haydo601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:48 PM »
Thanks alot man!

Offline elkdeerbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2010, 11:04 AM »
I moved to the Colorado Springs area from Bay City, Michigan in 1988. Do a lot of ice fishing in South Park area. You'll have safer and longer ice in the mountains than the plains. Deleany Buttes in North Park is also good. Twin Lakes between Leadville and Bunea Vista is good for lakers and cuttbows.If you want to make a road trip, Blue Mesa by Gunnison is huge and good fishing. Finkyfever was right on with his commets.

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2010, 07:59 AM »
Welcome to Colorado, I think finky hit on all good lakes to go. If you want 100+ fish but small hit up Dowdy by Red Feather, There's some huge trout in both Antero and Lake John. Granby proly won't freeze for a few weeks at least but that's where you'll find the big lakers.

We're heading up to a northern lake next weekend if you want to join us that's cool
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • High Country Lakes in Colorado
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Hey Man!
Welcome to Colorado.  We don't have the ice-fishing culture of the upper Midwest, but we have fun.  I've been in Fort Fun for 20 years and started ice fishing about 12 years ago.  The big thing here is be %*@# careful on the Front Range lakes...the ones down here on the Plains.  Couple of guys die going through thin ice each year it seems. I go into the high country and relax on a minimum of 10-12 inches, and have on occasion bored so deep through ice that my hand auger was scraping the handle!  Hard work, but no worries.  Tight lines to ya' !
Bite Fish Bite! Bite Fish Bite!  Pappa sez you have to, Momma sez you might!

Offline 2line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Spent my summers in Rumely fished Au train basin , never ice fish there. My wife and I fish 11 mile during the ice season STOL mountain

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.