Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: SPIRIT LAKE / IGL ICE CONDITIONS  (Read 11157 times)

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SPIRIT LAKE / IGL ICE CONDITIONS
« Reply #60 on: Mar 01, 2011, 11:21 PM »

We have been getting a few Gills on Spirit.  I didn't know they where so thick.  9 7/8" L x 10" around. 15oz

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Mar 02, 2011, 12:49 PM »
NICE GILL !!!
Heading up again this weekend. Looks like temps will keep the ice "drivable".

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Yeah you can drive any place you want.  Its sweet!   Drive on at Marble and have fun.  Good Luck!!

Offline mkruid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Boji, just wondering how you did? I'm headed up there tommorrow, will fish sat. and sun. morning. I havent ice fished there for over 25 years and  need to get in at least one good trip this season. I would normaly make a trip to Thompson or Waubay this time of year but without a sled or wheeler with tracks it's a no-go. Not looking for your spots, just wondering how the bite was.  Thanks!

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Mar 04, 2011, 09:38 AM »
Myself and 2 buddies are heading up tomarrow morning so I was wondering the same thing. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing the ice is still safe for a vehicle and marble beach is the place to get on. Any spots anybody suggests to try, pm me if you want. Only fished boji twice, once open water and once on the ice.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #65 on: Mar 04, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Hi guys....Wed we did well....once we found them.    Tougher in the AM.  Have an open mind.  IMO...These perch seem to be right on the cusp of moving from basin to bays.  So look for transition areas.  Muck that turns to rock bars.  Stay in the 18 to 20 foot water depth and move and change.  As far as baits, it was kitchen sink time.  Some power plastics were helping..alone or along side wiggers.  Somtimes, I was having hot action with a minnow head and a power bloodworm.  Then they would switch to wanting larger minnows.  So I would drill a series of holes from the 17' to 21' over transition areas (not getting to specific at this point...sorry...going up tomorrow myself and a crowd will def. throw these fish into a negative mood).  You'll mark fish almost everywhere or at least I did.  Throw 3 favorites at them.  The one thing that was kind of funny:  they seemed to like the holes that I left slush in (outside fishing - no hut).  And, if you run into those smaller 6-7" picky bait stealers...drop down a lindy darter or rattle trap.  Shake that thing and ground pound it...then hold it up 18".  Wait til the electronics light up and slowly raise that thing.  When the fish start to rise (or if) quickly pull it out of the hole and return with a fast sinking lure like a pilkis...slow it down as it approaches your red marks...but don stop it.  Had many fish triggered into hitting on the drop doing that and those were our fatties...just under 13" on 2 of them.  Good luck guys...
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline mkruid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Mar 04, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Doesn't sound like the weather is going to be very good, but if the fish are biting it makes a lot of difference. (keeps the blood flowing!)  Maybe I'll see you out there. I think I've bumped into you a few times over the years at Willow Creek, if you usually haul your quad on a trailer with a custom cover. Good luck!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #67 on: Mar 04, 2011, 01:28 PM »
My quad is just on a TSC rig.  I know the one you are talking about though....his name is Mike.  I've gone once to willow...just not like it used to be I'm afraid.  Hence my never ending trek on hwy 60 to the IGL's.  I'll be up tomorrow AM hopefully....Silver 08 f-150 super.  Strikelmaster sticker on the slider window in back...or what my wife likes to call "the gayest thing I have ever done"....not that there's anything wrong with that.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline DAN03REV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:29 PM »
gotta wait for my old man to get off work .. then heading up .. red eskimo 2-man flip .. might bring my sled up to move around quick .. 

Offline Gillzillia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Mar 05, 2011, 05:54 AM »
Hey Everyone,

Spring break is this coming week and I plan on taking my wife and our 5 and 2 1/5 year old daughters fishing. Since school started again in January I have been able to only fish one day. I would like to fish Boji somewhere (walk access) so the girls can see the fish come in. I am borrowing a a Clam 6400 or at least I think that is what it is. Anyhow that will impead our ability to move a lot and I think they would be much happier just sitting in one spot.

If you have any ideas of where to try they and I would be very happy.

PM if you wish, we would love company if anyone else is bringing the kids out Friday!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Mar 05, 2011, 08:04 AM »
Walking out may not be easy if we get the foot of snow they are predicting for Mon/Tues/Wens with the winds to follow it could be interesting....

Offline Gillzillia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Mar 07, 2011, 04:39 AM »
Looks like the weather may be coming around a little bit.  :)

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Boji. were you out there saturday?
My buddies and I made it up ther saturday morning, fished all day saturday stayed over and fished all day sunday then headed home. There's over 30" of ice, love it. We fished Big Spirit both days, although I did hear smiths bay is starting to pick up and there were 8 or 10 vechiles out there both days right by the bridge. Seemed like 19' - 22' fow was the ticket, at least for us. I think we caught 20 perch between the 3 of us on saturday trying to get the pattern down, only 8 keepers. sunday was alot better, caught around 60 perch w/ 30 keepers and one a little over 12" as well as 2 tiny walleyes. my buddies just started ice fishing this year and had alot of fun, their favorite part was when they had a great big nothern circlingjust under their holes, close enough to the surface that one of the guys finally tapped him in the nose with the trandducer to get him to leave. We followed the shanty towns on saturday since we had no idea what was going on, sunday we fished over around buffalo and saw alot more fish. Anything gold tipped with a couple wigglers seemed to work pretty well.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Mar 07, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Fished from 12:30 to 5.  It was nice to bang a few Crappies with the Perch.  I hope tomorrow we can find a few more Perch.  ???

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Ok, gotta ask for some details.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Today was another good day until I dropped my new camcorder down the hole!! >:(  My wife is going to kill me.  But anyway we did well.  40 Perch, 18 Crappies, and 10 Gills.  The Crappies 10-12" = Gills 9-10" and Perch 9-11"  The only thing I can really say is that I was in 18 fow with rocks.  number 16 diamond jig with wigglers

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #76 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:28 PM »
Fished from 12:30 to 5.  It was nice to bang a few Crappies with the Perch.  I hope tomorrow we can find a few more Perch.  ???

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice mess of fish!  Fin

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Mar 09, 2011, 03:36 PM »
How's the ice holdin' up? Still driving on it with full size trucks? Bad slush etc...? Thanks.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:07 PM »
The ice is great!!!   ;D ;D   26"

Offline Gillzillia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Mar 10, 2011, 12:46 PM »
What acesses are still good?

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Mar 10, 2011, 03:28 PM »
I think they all are good I have been driving on at Marble.

Offline Gillzillia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Any vehicles on spirit or boji today?

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #82 on: Mar 10, 2011, 09:22 PM »
I was out on west yesterday. several trucks out. 24" of ice and Emerson ramp was solid

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.