Author Topic: eskimo blades sharpen or replace?  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Tguns

• IceShanty Rookie
eskimo blades sharpen or replace?
« on: Feb 23, 2015, 03:40 PM »
my eskimo auger i noticed having trouble biting while drilling holes on friday, i bought it around christmas last year and have drilled a pile of holes through a lot of varying thicknesses of ice since then. anyway after noticing this friday all of a sudden get out to the lake sunday afternoon and it took a half hour to drill one hole. knowingwell i shouldnt have i forced the auger to cut cause it was packer up or find a way to drill some holes. so we got two drilled and fished the same two all day. anyway im wondering a couple things. where is saskatoon can i can eskimo blades sharpened? do they also sharpen the center point as well? i havent looked real close at the blades but judging by the way they cut its replace or sharpen time. also if i were to replace myself i see guys are saying its necessary to ad shims? there is no shims in now so why is this necessary? im new at this and just wanna get looked after so i can go fishing again soon. thanks

Offline dyckee

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: eskimo blades sharpen or replace?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:22 PM »
tguns, I had the same issuse i bought a new set and kept the old ones and had them sharpened as a spare set as i drill a pile of holes and its always good to have a back up set.  you should be able to get them sharpened anywhere that does knives and scissors and that sort of thing or most tackle shops will do them.  i got my blades at canadian tire. they were 40 bucks and had them sharpened at pokeys in regina for 26bucks . i know that doesnt really help you as your in saskatoon. just get them at CT and keep the other ones until you find another place that sharpens them as well then your set.

jig on
bad day of fishin is better than a good day at work

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:24 PM »
My local lawn mower shop sharpens my Eskimo blades.  Always a good idea to have an extra set. They take a much better hit than Nils blades, but will dull on ya with some sand dirty ice or a hit to clear the ice.
 I also have never bothered with the centering point.

Offline Pollock fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:35 PM »
Whole sale spots or fishing hole and can tire have em like 35 dollars. I drill a ton of hole in a winter, sometime 20 to 30 a day. Do I change em every year for the price they are. I have never shimmed mine or anything on an eskimo auger must be a different make that people need to shim.

Offline EdM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:42 PM »
I talked to the guys at mini tune and they have a guy that comes in and sharpens auger blades here in Saskatoon,
not sure about anything else but plan on dropping off some blades this week

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:09 PM »
I would get my Eskimo blades sharpened yearly at the following place in Saskatoon.  The cost was around $15.00 bucks and they did a great job every time.   I would usually drop them off on a Monday and they would be done by Thursday.  I changed augers this year to the ION and haven't had to sharpen my blades yet.

Accu-Sharp
505 44 Street East
Saskatoon, SK
(306) 931-1935

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:51 PM »
my eskimo auger i noticed having trouble biting while drilling holes on friday, i bought it around christmas last year and have drilled a pile of holes through a lot of varying thicknesses of ice since then. anyway after noticing this friday all of a sudden get out to the lake sunday afternoon and it took a half hour to drill one hole. knowingwell i shouldnt have i forced the auger to cut cause it was packer up or find a way to drill some holes. so we got two drilled and fished the same two all day. anyway im wondering a couple things. where is saskatoon can i can eskimo blades sharpened? do they also sharpen the center point as well? i havent looked real close at the blades but judging by the way they cut its replace or sharpen time. also if i were to replace myself i see guys are saying its necessary to ad shims? there is no shims in now so why is this necessary? im new at this and just wanna get looked after so i can go fishing again soon. thanks

I went out to a small bay at Dief and after that my blades were as sharp as the edge of town.  And I had only punched less than 50 holes total with a new Eskimo.  So I took them off and sharpened them myself with a small stone, including the center point.  The whole process took maybe 30 minutes.  Now they cut great.  You can do it yourself. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:15 PM »
Mini tune jiffy blades 9$ . Can't go wrong. I took two sets in $18 For both to sharpen.

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 AM »
hmmmmmmmmmm. I actually have a sharpening machine and plenty of used blades as I just buy new ones every year...I'll set it up and try it and let you know how it turns out

Offline OLD19

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:39 PM »
If you are going to sharpen them your self make sure you keep the same angle on the cutting edge or they won't cut through jello.  I know that from trying to do that in the past. buy new ones or get them sharpened at a qualified shop. Just my thought.

Offline mxzwalleyeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:49 PM »
I have had the same (original ) blades on my jiffy 2hp auger since the day I bought it....fall of 1997. From day one I have always used the full plastic case that are sold at Flammans....never ever touched the blades at all and are still as sharp as ever.  I attribute this to the case that protects the blades in all conditions.

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:47 PM »
Go drill 20 holes in diefenbaker . Sand killed my blades in less then 20 holes. Not sure how much you ice fish but it can't be much. I have the case and never drop my auger on the ice or drag it from hole to hole like I've  scene guys do. But it's not only the way you treat your blades. But drilling 100+ holes in a season mine need a file at the very least. Just saying .

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:38 AM »
My Eskimo has drilled hundreds of holes without needing to be sharpened. I have had it for 4 years and haven't even had to touch them up yet. I drill a lot of holes almost every outing. My jiffy was the same. One thing that will dull your blades is leaving the auger standing upright in a half drilled hole.  Check the centering point and touch up with a file if it needs it. Put the guard on when not using the auger. I have a spare set of blades ready to go but so far haven't needed them. I used to sharpen the blade on my jiffy (takes a little practice). I have never run into sand on the ice. (note to self bring a buddy with you if you go to to Diefenbaker  and use his auger),. :O)
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:23 PM »
I can also confirm that sand in/on the ice has dulled my blades very quickly out at diefenbaker.  It sucks after your blades go and you are out on the ice trying to drill a hole and it takes like 10 minutes and the auger is just spinning on the surface and your trying to push down when you have an extension on and the auger is at head level...

I believe Great Western Saw in saskatoon (right next to the fishin hole) will sharpen auger blades for $8 (may be per blade...).  I havent got any sharpened yet, i just bought a new pair last year after mine went...  I will be getting my two sets of blades sharpened from now on though.

Offline Young Catcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2015, 11:03 AM »
Seems Great Western Saw  ( GW SAW)  is not next to fishin hole.
Heard it is located 45 St.

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2015, 11:47 AM »
my 10 inch piece on my eskimo wont drill at all anymore unless I practically sit on it while drilling, even after putting on brand new blades.

my 8 inch piece was also like that, but a guy was watching, came over with a little metal file, scraped my blades a few times, and they now go through in like 10-20 seconds.

"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline Tguns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:10 PM »
my 10 inch piece on my eskimo wont drill at all anymore unless I practically sit on it while drilling, even after putting on brand new blades.

my 8 inch piece was also like that, but a guy was watching, came over with a little metal file, scraped my blades a few times, and they now go through in like 10-20 seconds.

which piece do you mean?

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:12 PM »

which piece do you mean?

the auger bit/leg er whatever its called. the entire thing except the head unit. I have a 10 inch without extension, and an 8 inch with extension, that I swap off the head pending ice thickness.
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2015, 01:08 AM »
Seems Great Western Saw  ( GW SAW)  is not next to fishin hole.
Heard it is located 45 St.

Sorry you are right, i am confusing it with "canadian woodworker", which i am not sure if they sharpen blades...

Offline Tguns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2015, 01:14 PM »
Can you replace the centre point/blade? I believe my problem was too much play in that blade. I'm afraid tighting it up won't take all the play out of it. Any thoughts?

Offline pcdoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2015, 07:46 PM »
mine will cut without the center point ,,all it is for is to center at the start of the hole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.