Author Topic: Cunningham falls lake  (Read 2500 times)

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cunningham falls lake
« on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:55 PM »
I know years ago ice fishing wasn't allowed here. But I recall seeing people out a few years ago when I was up there flyfishing. Does anyone have any info on this? I plan on calling tomorrow while I'm at Greenbriar. But if I knew it was ok, I'd probably go there instead.
Y'all catchin?

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
Re: Cunningham falls lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2018, 04:47 PM »
I didn’t see where it said you can’t. I was looking into piney run last night but they don’t allow ice fishing.

Offline orange pants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Let us know what they say. Years ago they would chase you off. They often drop lake level there to keep the trout stream below the lake at the proper stream level. Years ago a friend of mine went on the lake drilled a hole and the water was 1 foot under the ice!  Would be great to ice fish it , it has large crappie, large sunfish , large bass , trout and catfish in the lake. Be cautious , lake drops off real steep from the shoreline.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Well I called...  They said it's "not prohibited, but not encouraged" I will be trying there this week or weekend. Last weekend at deep creek kicked my butt. It would be nice to take a break from the long rides and try to find some of the artificial structure I have read about.

Hesseltine, it doesn't say anywhere... I found a post from 2005 where someone had asked and was told so. Guess things changed.
Y'all catchin?

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:34 PM »
That’s good to hear. I’ll have to try it one day here if the cold weather stays.  Looking for some places close when I don’t have time to go to deep creek but most reservoirs don’t allow it or say shore fishing only during the winter.

Bunch of small lakes in Howard and moco is like to try for panfish. I know after this week would be good to go.

Offline Mac58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:38 AM »
Thanks for good info on Cunningham.  I was just talking to a buddy a couple of weeks ago about whether or not ice fishing was permitted up there.  Will have to give it a try.   

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:52 AM »
I'm probably going to try it soon. Maybe Saturday or Sunday.
Y'all catchin?

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:47 PM »
I don’t ever recall seeing anything regarding ice fishing prohibitions.  In fact there’s only ice safety information online regarding fishing in the winter.

I’ve been told/asked to leave in my past experiences ice fishing certain location ponds in MA.  It never ended well for the police.  They could never articulate the actual law I was breaking.  Due to certain police officers being obtuse, I’ve successfully won complaints against officers who threatened to arrest me. 

I’m never about convertations but I’m a huge believing in the constitution.

Unless there’s a specific law regarding ice fishing and Cunningham State Park,  no one should get kicked off the ice.

I’ll be there in the morning,  fishing from/near the boat ramp area.  I’ll be in the brown/black Striker Ice suit.  Come over and say hi.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Boy I bet that wind is kicking your butt up there today...  I'll wait for a calmer day, but let me know how it is. I'm betting the water will be crystal clear there.
Y'all catchin?

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Boy I bet that wind is kicking your butt up there today...  I'll wait for a calmer day, but let me know how it is. I'm betting the water will be crystal clear there.

Got to Cunningham at 5:30am.... it was snowing but the wind was limited to 5-10mph..

Since I’m new to MD and because I’m not sure of ice/water conditions at my local spots I predrilled a whole before heading out.  Found 6inches  I New I was good to go for a few more holes.

I waited til just before sunrise to get back on the ice.  Seeing 5F in my cars thermometer deterred me.  But only for an hour.

Walked back out on the South/East corner of the lake... basically I stayed adjacent to the Dam/dam parking lot.   Knowing the wind would be coming from the SE/East because of the storm I figured I could use the hills on that side of the lake for shelter...

But you are right, those winds whipped up fast and by 1pm, it didn’t matter where I was in the Lake, the winds kicked my arse.  Estimated 20-25mph coming from all directions.

All in all it was a great morning.  Cooked some great food and caught two rainbows 12in/14in respectively.  Released both of them back to see another hook.  First fish of the season, so it’s good luck to release them. At least that’s what I think.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Don't qoute me on this, but I believe the lake is catch and release on trout. I know for sure the steam above and below is and fly-fishing only. If u were down towards the dam u were in very deep water I'm guessing. Did u have a camera? I bet that water is crystal clear. I'd be trying this weekend but I'm headed to deep creek. Them walleye are too tasty to pass up if I have the time to go. I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.
Y'all catchin?

Offline orange pants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:35 AM »
You can keep 5 trout per angler per day from the lake. It is stocked regularly as a put and take trout fishery. The streams have different regulations.

Offline orange pants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Fished Cunningham Falls Lake today over structure near the dam breast. 9 to 10 inches of good ice with about 3/4" of snow on top. Two of us fished from 2 PM

Offline orange pants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Two of us fished from 2PM until almost dark. We only had 3 bites before dark, no fish. I suspect it may be better above the boat ramp in the shallower weed beds. I don't know how the ice is at that end of the lake.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Headed up in a bit...  Be there around noon or so... Hopefully the ice held up.  Anyone else wanna try to locate them slabs?
Y'all catchin?

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2018, 11:49 AM »
If the edges held up I’d hit it This afternoon with ya

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:55 PM »
I managed to get on rock hopping. Ice is good past the edge.  It'll probably be fine by morning. It's building ice and making noise like crazy.  Found the gills and a few trout. But no crappie. Really want to find the artificial structure I read about. Probably going back tomorrow.   

But get this...  I called and asked about fishing THROUGH dark...  Exact words. Park office said that's fine long as I'm parked by the dam. Well....  Get to the truck a lil after dark n there waits a warden. Wrote warning tickets. He said the guy I talked to said we had to be out by dark and had called him saying we were still out at dark.. What a load of crap.  He did not say that when I called and I specifically said I planned to fish through dark. According to the website I was in compliance. Tomorrow I will call and ask about a permit for after hours access and sort it out... 

Anyhow...  The hour before dark was awesome. Even the girlfriend got some action. Feel free to join us tomorrow hesseltine.
Y'all catchin?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Update....  Headed to Blair's.
Y'all catchin?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.