Author Topic: EZ Ducer  (Read 4512 times)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
EZ Ducer
« on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Wondering if anybody has used one of these and what are your thoughts? Today the wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday and this is what I came up with.

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
Re: EZ Ducer
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Going on the 3rd season with mine and I love it!!! You're re going to get some flack about how expensive it is but it's a great tool!
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:55 PM »
Going on the 3rd season with mine and I love it!!! You're re going to get some flack about how expensive it is but it's a great tool!
Thanks for your reply. How hard would it be to have it on a quick release system so that I could use it on a portable fishfinder in the daytime and bring it into the icehouse at night. Both units could use the  same transducer. LX7 and an LX9.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2017, 11:05 PM »
after going to their web site https://www.ezducer.com/ and watching their video, it doesn't make much of a difference from using the stock marcum arm. using the stock arm and only having the very bottom of the ducer wet and centered in the hole and using this thing is only a few inches difference from what i can see.

i could see it for those who don't fish like marcum arms will have you do like hb and their swim noodles.

i'd take a pass on it because you are already using marcum arms.

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2017, 07:09 AM »
I see 3300's point and it's a valid one, however it is still nice not having to bend over and pull the transducer out of the hole. For me it's great because when I'm in search mode for fish I'm usually standing and I use a 6" hole so getting the transducer out of the hole is a must when fighting a fish. Is this thing a "luxury" item? Yes, it is for sure but also a useful tool to me. I would shoot an email to the guy and tell him what you want to do and then make the decision if it's going to be something useful for you.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2017, 07:47 AM »
I have heard that if you are going to have it installed on a Marcum that they have to splice your ducer to get it to work? Can anyone confirm this? The last thing I need is to buy this, them cut the ducer and install it and then something happen to the ducer and then you are out $160 bucks for a new ducer. Does anyone know if Ezducer warranties the splice because based on my Marcum's warranty for my LX-7, they will not warranty any modification ect...

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2017, 07:54 AM »
That is correct, if you own a Marcum unit the do have to splice the transducer cord. Not sure if they warranty this or not.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2017, 09:04 AM »
wow. $180 just so you don't have to pull your transducer out of a hole when you hook up. Doesn't seem to me to be worth it. jmho

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2017, 10:08 AM »
i have a question about water on the spool and cold temps. what does the unit do with the freezing water issues. doesn't the ducer cable get frozen to itself?

some thing else, is the placement of it looks to keep it the head unit too close to the ice hole?

i keep my marcum ducer in the water and centered and just barley wet, so it is already out of the way enough to land fish. this unit only makes the bottom of the ducer up a couple of inches but still right over the hole. that's why i know i wouldn't buy one. needing to keep track of a remote and then needing to press on it before trying to keep tension on the line is another no go for me. so i see it as too many disadvantages rather than any advantage, but that's just me.

and then there's those times (most of the time when not scouting) that we fish out of designated ducer holes by making a triangle of ice holes and fishing from the bottom two and the ducer has it's own top hole. this is standard when we are on fish or know they will be there. again, no need for more stuff to keep track of or have 200$ bucks in that won't help do any thing.
also, storage would be an issues for many.

Offline Rdog762

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2017, 10:49 AM »
I usually have the ducer at the bottom of the hole, I try to get it to be flush with the bottom of the hole. I have a vexlar so I use a float, but when I used an of Lx-5 I never had an issue with ice up, of course everything is possible. I have more problems with my float freezing to the side of the hole more than anything else.

With having the ducer that shallow in the hole, personal experience has shown me I get worse return on the sonar and weird interference of the ice. I recommend trying to put it deeper and see what happens this winter. If it works great if not go back to shallow. All that matters is your catching fish at the end of the day!! :icefish: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2017, 11:41 AM »
rdog762, read the thread.

3300, good point. is that cable reel gonna freeze up at some point?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2017, 12:12 PM »
In a permanent house maybe a nice set up

on a sled ...1:54 mark

I don't think the set up when attached will fit in a cover/case or bucket ..I don't think its for me though but may be useful for others and/or certain fishing style
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.