Author Topic: Vex FL -20 problum  (Read 1681 times)

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
Vex FL -20 problum
« on: Feb 23, 2009, 04:50 PM »
When fishing in water deeper then 100' my lure disappears.
I,m using a 3" plastic with a 1/2 oz. jig head.The battery is fully charged,gain set to max ,depth set to max.The transducer is floating OK, and is below the bottom of the hole . The water is fairly clear with no current.When the bait goes below 100' I sometimes get a flash but nothing steady .I see the top and the bottom and am able to see large schools of bait when they come through.I have used the unit twice on different lakes and am having the same issues on both.I've put a FL- 18 down the same hole and can see my swivel at 160'.A friend has the same unit and is experiencing the same thing.I've contacted Vexilar and am waiting for a reply.
Any ideas ?

Offline fish4kitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frabill Trekker 2
Re: Vex FL -20 problum
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:37 PM »
You said your transducer is floating good. Stupid question from me,Did you look down the hole and see if it was past the bottom of the hole? Might through your reading off by a smidge by showing a false reading or in your case not seeing a rather large jig. Also look to see if trans is sitting square in your float. Not kittywhumpus by a smidge.2 cents
Having a crappie day and loving it!

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2009, 05:01 AM »
You said your transducer is floating good. Stupid question from me,Did you look down the hole and see if it was past the bottom of the hole? Might through your reading off by a smidge by showing a false reading or in your case not seeing a rather large jig. Also look to see if trans is sitting square in your float. Not kittywhumpus by a smidge.2 cents
Not a stupid question at all,I should of put that in my description of what was going on.It is below the bottom of the hole.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2009, 08:55 AM »
What degree ducer do you have? I don't fish deep water but I notices a huge difference in signal strength when using a 9 degree ducer over a 19 degree ducer. The 9 degree gives a much stronger signal with less gain than the 19.

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
Re: Vex FL -20 problem
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2009, 01:43 PM »
What degree ducer do you have? I don't fish deep water but I notices a huge difference in signal strength when using a 9 degree ducer over a 19 degree ducer. The 9 degree gives a much stronger signal with less gain than the 19.
It,s a 9 * so that shouldn't,t be the  problem.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2009, 10:24 PM »
At 100 ft. plus te little to no current on the top water column could be different below.
Try taking a large heavy spoon and lowering it down if you can follow the spoon on its
way to the bottom without losing it than the no current is likely correct.

Bring it back to the surface and change your bait back out. Lower your jig/spoon or bait down
with a stop every 20 to 30 feet and locate a good signal again on you offering. If you lose sight
of your bait with a vex or simular it will sometimes take a fair ammount of time to relocate.

Do you use multiple holes with the Vex or fish the same one that your transducer is in. You may
want to drill a lead hole or two for the transducer. If you think the current is going in a specific direction
try drilling the second hole 2-3 feet away in the direction of the current. Drop in the transducer and see if
you can pick up your bait.

FF
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2009, 09:50 AM »
At 100 ft. plus te little to no current on the top water column could be different below.
Try taking a large heavy spoon and lowering it down if you can follow the spoon on its
way to the bottom without losing it than the no current is likely correct.

Bring it back to the surface and change your bait back out. Lower your jig/spoon or bait down
with a stop every 20 to 30 feet and locate a good signal again on you offering. If you lose sight
of your bait with a vex or simular it will sometimes take a fair ammount of time to relocate.

Do you use multiple holes with the Vex or fish the same one that your transducer is in. You may
want to drill a lead hole or two for the transducer. If you think the current is going in a specific direction
try drilling the second hole 2-3 feet away in the direction of the current. Drop in the transducer and see if
you can pick up your bait.

There is no current in either lakes that I'm fishing.A friend has a FL- 20 and is having the same problem ,We took a FL- 18 and tried it out in the same hole with the same bait and it picked up perfect. I also tried a Humminbird 55 in the same hole and it did not pick up the bait,switched to a large pimple and that helped.Both units says it has a 1/2 " definition and will read BOTTOM at 200'.
I'm thinking either the 20 or the 55 is not meant for water much deeper then 100' with bait 3' or smaller,but then why did the 18 work ? I contacted Humminbird and after I gave them all the info that I have posted here they said to keep a log the next time that I used it and call them back with the info and Vexilar said to send the unit back when I could.
I've got $1,000.00 worth electronics sitting here that are both advertised as the best on the market but can't pick up a 3' bait at 100'
I'm not happy nor would I recommend either unit to anyone who fishes deeper water  :nono:

FF

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2009, 10:06 PM »
sounds werd man. I have the fl-18 and fish in 180 fow sometimes and I can even see my swivel. Might be a bad transducer.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:17 AM »
First of all Vexilars throw enough power so you shouldn't ever need to turn the gain up to full blast. Somehow I have to believe this is part of the problem. Could even be a defective pot. Either that or there is a problem with the transducer or the connection. I'm pretty sure you will get your best result with a phone call to Vexilar. The FL 20 is a top of the line unit and you should expect top of the line performance.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2009, 04:36 PM »
When I pulled the 20 out and put in a 18 I had no problem seeing the bait at 160Fow.A friend also has a 20 that we have used side by side ( 100 yds. apart )and has the same exact problem so it seems like it,s the units inability to read at deeper depths.As far as the gain goes I have to crank it up after 50' or so.
I did contact Vexilar and they wanted me to send the unit back I told them that it was new and I diden,t want to tie it up for the rest of the ice season I wanted them to send me a new unit or authorization from them to return it to the dealer for a full refund, that was last Tuesday and they haven't got back to me.
I have been using flashers for a long time and am aware of most of the common problems

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:57 PM »
there has to be something wrong with that unit, vex's are supposed to be the cadillacs of fish finders on teh hard water.    i used to use a humminbird pihrana  max 10 that i could see my 3/8 oz jig in 150 fow.    i wouldnt venture a guess at what is wrong with your unit, but something is definately outta wack with it.
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.