Author Topic: Portable Fish Finder?  (Read 3787 times)

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
Portable Fish Finder?
« on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:34 AM »
I am interested in a portable fish finder I'm not looking to spend alot of money......probably under $100 if I can or as close to it. I searched Ebay and seen a couple but I know nothing about them. what do you have or suggest???

TIA

Steve

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
Re: Portable Fish Finder?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2009, 04:07 PM »
Use a lead clip sinker. DO NOT WAST YOUR MONEY.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2009, 06:18 PM »
I am interested in a portable fish finder I'm not looking to spend alot of money......probably under $100 if I can or as close to it. I searched Ebay and seen a couple but I know nothing about them. what do you have or suggest???

TIA

Steve

I suggest contacting vexilar or marcum and see if they can cut you a deal on one that has been traded back in. Sometimes they will get one with the case cracked or a handle brokend and they will sell it to you for rediculously low prices. All it takes is some silicone sealer and you have a working unit.

Vexilar, marcum, hummingbird, eagle, lowrance. they all make good units for ice fishing.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2009, 06:48 PM »
Use a lead clip sinker. DO NOT WAST YOUR MONEY.

I have two of them and they have yet to show me where the fish are or if there are any under me.... That is why I am asking about a fish finder and not a depth finder

thanks for your suggestion  ::)

It wont be just for ice fishing so it wont be a waste of money ;)

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:52 PM »
I also use a good flasher for ice fishing, but I did get a small hand held fish finder as a gift. It's made by Zebco and it has a small screen like other lcd type do. The unit will show the bottom as a solid mark and you still have to interpret the structure, but the fish off the bottom will show up like other lcd units. These came be found on e-bay for $50.00 + or - all the time. It is about the size of you cordless phone and has a 50' cord with a foam float and transducer. They aren't like a $300.00 unit, but for around $50 it's worth a try. I use mine for checking holes when hard water fishing and from a canoe in the open water, because it can fit in your pocket.

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2009, 07:16 AM »
I also use a good flasher for ice fishing, but I did get a small hand held fish finder as a gift. It's made by Zebco and it has a small screen like other lcd type do. The unit will show the bottom as a solid mark and you still have to interpret the structure, but the fish off the bottom will show up like other lcd units. These came be found on e-bay for $50.00 + or - all the time. It is about the size of you cordless phone and has a 50' cord with a foam float and transducer. They aren't like a $300.00 unit, but for around $50 it's worth a try. I use mine for checking holes when hard water fishing and from a canoe in the open water, because it can fit in your pocket.
you talking something like this???

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2009, 09:12 AM »
I Also have the Zebco it will tell depth but you must keep the batteries warm as far as fish it is by gee or by gosh at best> JMO

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:00 AM »
I have an Eagle Fisheasy portable. IMO it does the job for the money. You could probably run up to the new Wallyworld and pick one up for about $130.00. They sell (or you could manufacture) an iceducer bracket for these. I purchased this when I got back into icefishing, but have taken it to Canada several times, and used it as the second FF on friends boats.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:10 AM »
I've  got an old Eagle SupraPro ID mounted in a tackle box with a little 12volt Zeus battery, it's portable and lightweight that I use for Ice. Just bought a Hummingbird for the boat. Paid like $90 for it at Bass Pro on sale. It was last years model so they're selling them cheap!
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:07 PM »
I just got one of these. 

I will give you an update after next weekend when I use it for the 1st time.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I have an old retired Humminbird Wide 100 that I use as a portable for my canoe in the summer and ice fishing in the winter. I bought one of those rechargeable 12V batteries online designed for emergency lights in commercial buildings such as hospitals, schools etc. It's smaller than a motorcycle battery and it is sealed so no mess if it topples over. I keep it charged up with an old 'wallwart' 12V power supply salvaged from some long ago defunct device.

I keep meaning to make a neat case for it but a bucket is soo much handier...  8)
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline hoboherbs77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2009, 06:21 AM »
i have been happy with my garmin 140, Have had it for 2 seasons now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.