Author Topic: generators  (Read 3663 times)

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
generators
« on: Feb 06, 2009, 07:03 AM »
does anyone else use them while fishing? i was usung one last night and got skunked.. do they make to much noise?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: generators
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2009, 07:10 AM »
I have never used one while ice fishing but it could very well have been a factor. Not only too much noise but more than likely too much vibration directly associated with the noise too. I'd try a couple trips without it to verify.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2009, 12:43 PM »
I use one all the time. I use it in the evening to give my batteries a charge and I plug my 110v TV in and watch a movie or two at the same time. In the morning I crank it up again to give the batteries a charge and power my coffee maker. I haven't noticed any problems with it scaring fish. I think someone walking on the ice would do more to harm the fishing than a small generator. When the perch fishing slows down one of my friends starts his diesel pickup and lets it idle and the perch seem to turn back on.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2009, 11:09 PM »
does anyone have any experiences with inverters?? how long will they power a tv and dvd player off a good deep cycle battery??

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:04 AM »
It depends on the size and ampere draw of the Inverter, the ampere draw of the TV, ampere draw of the DVD player and the ampere hours the battery is rated for. The reason that I mentioned the inverter is because they use power to operate.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2009, 12:14 PM »
i dont know which one to get... i usually run a 17" tv vcr, dvd,2 lights and small fan.. i fish 4 days outa 7.. which do you think would be best?? i had 2500 watt generator but my uncle bought it from the family >:( >:( >:(

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2009, 03:07 PM »
a little 1000/1200 watt generator would work fine for that.
You could use a good 12v deep cycle and 1000 watt inverter to run your stuff on and recharge with the generator or runn offthe generator. You could also ditch the generator and put a good solar cell on the roof to charge the battery.
Depends on how much you want to spend.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2009, 07:28 PM »
I have a 1000 watt generator and have an on board battery charger in my wheel house. I run the lights and fans on 12v plus I have a 12v power outlet for my cell phone. I also have 110v outlets to plug my TV and coffee maker into. I normally run my generator in the evening before going to bed to charge the batteries and I watch a movie while I'm doing this. I have run my generator all day at times though. I also run the generator in the morning and give the batteries a charge while I'm making some coffee. I think you can buy a small generator cheaper than you can get a solar panel big enough to do the job.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2009, 07:35 PM »
around $500 is what i wanna spend...

Offline SLED_NECK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2009, 07:39 PM »
you can get solar panels in wal-mart in the auto section, they are for charging ATV batteries i dont know if that matters though

Offline ElmLake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:10 PM »
I have two 15 watt solar panels that I bought at Northern Tool on sale for about $85 each.  I have them hooked to two deep cycle batteries.  I have 12v outlets (cig lighter style) and a couple 12v lights running off the batteries and a 750 watt inverter ($40 - Sportsmans Guide) hooked up to the battery when I want AC.  I run a 13" TV and a DVD and a radio tuned so I that I can listen to XM satellite which I plug into the 12v outlet.  You also need a voltage regulator so you don't overcharge the batteries.  Got that at Northern Tool also for about $25.  I can't fish everyday but use the system quite along time when I go out.  Keeps my batteries charged fully from one trip til the next. I have never ran out of power but that can be different for someone else.   If you keep an eye out for them the panels go on sale from time to time.  I mounted them on the door end of my shack as I always face that south.  Works for me.  Fishtale         p.s. I used a 450 watt inverter before I got the 750 and that ran the TV and DVD fine - don't know why I got a bigger one. Just in case I guess??

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Save up your coins and get your self a Honda EU2000, very quiet and easy on fuel.
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2009, 09:06 AM »
around $500 is what i wanna spend...
I see nice used Honda 1000 generators on one of the online auctions for that price quite often.

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2009, 11:20 AM »
   I'm looking to charge a 9 amp/hr gel cell battery with a solar panel. The battery is for a fish finder.  I don't want to use a generator.  Could I get a solar panel small enough to charge it in say 8 hrs.  I don't want much weight. 

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Honda 2000is well worth the money spent.  we leave ours in the bed of the truck, but they are very quiet anyways so don't see where it would cause a problem if you put it right on the ice.  we went with the 2000 that way can run all the things in the shack and plug the diesel trucks in too so don't have to worry about them starting in the mornings.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Honda is where its at! They are much better in many ways. If you can fit a Honda generator in you budget, do it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.