Author Topic: Rubbermaid Action Packer Tote as a Sled  (Read 3428 times)

Offline COVEJEEPSXJ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Showdown > Ice-55
Rubbermaid Action Packer Tote as a Sled
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:48 PM »
I have a LARGE 48 Gal Rubbermaid Action Packer (20.52H x 17.15W x 43.75L) that I am thinking about converting into a sled.
I like the idea of having all my gear covered from the elements and also being able to use the tote for a seat. Plus I have the tote already and it would cost me no $$ which would be a good thing.

I would need to attach some type of ski's or runners on the bottom though. I am also considering possibly an old snowboard (if I can find one or two cheap or free).

Has anyone converted a large tote into a sled before? Pro's or Con's?

Any other ideas of something I could use for runners. I would ideally like something lighter in weight than the ski's.
Too many hobbies.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Rubbermaid Action Packer Tote as a Sled
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:55 PM »
When I was building  a box for my boy thats what I ended up doing.  I used 3 old skis (got from the ski shop for like nothing)  used a piece of pvc pipe to get alittle ground clearance and was done and ready for gear.  It is working good and he is happy.  Hope that helps.
;

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:18 PM »
I use Action Packers in all different sizes to carry my gear out onto the lake, but never considered using one as the sled itself, should work alright. The totes work great for keeping your gear dry, even towed behind a powerful sled in deep snow and slush (lots of roosted slush). You could also try some of the bent conduit sleds guys have built, look like they'd tow easy in the deep snow.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline COVEJEEPSXJ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Showdown > Ice-55
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:24 PM »
I use Action Packers in all different sizes to carry my gear out onto the lake, but never considered using one as the sled itself, should work alright. The totes work great for keeping your gear dry, even towed behind a powerful sled in deep snow and slush (lots of roosted slush). You could also try some of the bent conduit sleds guys have built, look like they'd tow easy in the deep snow.

I was just thinking about ripping some 3-4" PVC length-wise and attaching it to the bottom with some 45* fittings on the ends...
Too many hobbies.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:29 PM »
I think that would work well. The only thing to watch out for would be to spread the mounting area of your runners and tow rope out as far as possible. When you try and mount things to the side or bottom of plastic containers like that with a few bolts and big washers, eventually they get loose, start to wiggle around and eventually the plastic fails. If you were to glue the runners to the whole length of the bottom with some kind of epoxy, or use bolts/screws into a piece of wood strapping inside the tote to spread the load out, it should last a good long time. Good luck!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:36 PM »
I saw a guy with one of those on sat. He had no runners just a rope tied to the handle. There was a good 5-6" of snow left on the ice and he was having a hell of a time pulling that thing. It acted like a snow plow for the 3 guys walking behind him.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline COVEJEEPSXJ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Showdown > Ice-55
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:54 AM »
I think that would work well. The only thing to watch out for would be to spread the mounting area of your runners and tow rope out as far as possible. When you try and mount things to the side or bottom of plastic containers like that with a few bolts and big washers, eventually they get loose, start to wiggle around and eventually the plastic fails. If you were to glue the runners to the whole length of the bottom with some kind of epoxy, or use bolts/screws into a piece of wood strapping inside the tote to spread the load out, it should last a good long time. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.
I stopped at two different Ski Shop's last evening and both of them gave me a pair of ski's for free. One cross country pair and one downhill. Both are realitively light so I might just go with a pair of skis. Now I just need to read up on how others mounted there ski's.

I saw a guy with one of those on sat. He had no runners just a rope tied to the handle. There was a good 5-6" of snow left on the ice and he was having a hell of a time pulling that thing. It acted like a snow plow for the 3 guys walking behind him.

That is what I am trying to avoid. I figured it would be a major PITA to use with no runners. Many of our drags aren't long but it would still be nice to get the sled/tote up off the ground a bit.
Too many hobbies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.