Author Topic: Economy One Man Sled Build (Re-post from Mass. General )  (Read 2077 times)

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
My best bud and I have always shared a trapping basket and Jet sled as we almost always fished together.  Now days he is on night shift and I'm on days so swapping the stuff back and fourth was getting to be a hassle.  So I decided to build a one man sled for days when we were not together.  I didn't want to pay to much for ,this as we already had the other jet sled set up so it was off to my favorite store, Home Depo. !

I purchased a cement mixing tub for $9.99, a Rubber maid type container for $3.44 and about $8.00 in hardware.  I had origionally planned on using an old bathroom rubbish barrel that I had hanging around but seeing that I had more room than I thought I went back and purchased one that would fill the space for $4.00.

Here is the beginning material and then a basic layout.:

Next I used an old piece of 1/2 in. ply and cut out a deck:

To raise the bucket to the proper height, I epoxied  a a scrap of 4x4 to the base of the tub: 

Then I attached the deck to the sled with eye bolts for the tow rope and auger tie downs.  I also hardened the lid of the Rubber Maid box with a piece of half inch ply:

And finnally the fully loaded sled:

I am sure there will be severl other mods including rod holders and runners, but that will be for another day.  Total out of pocket expenses were under $30.00.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Economy One Man Sled Build (Re-post from Mass. General )
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Nice job with the build CAPT.. It sure will beat carrying all the stuff or swapping stuff with your buddy. To make it last you might think about mounting the tub on an old pair of skis. It's amazing what you can come up with when your walking through the local hardware store. Every time you use it you will think of improvements. My son is still using one of those very large plastic storage bins w/ cover as a sled. he's been using it for 3 years now and it's held up fine. Good luck with it.

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Economy One Man Sled Build (Re-post from Mass. General )
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:29 PM »
hey their i was looking at your sled and i think it is awesome. i love the idea of the mixer tub, i only wish i had thought about it before i built mine. i used 1/2" ply wood. i love mine but I'm looking for skies to put it on because of the damage that is happening to it. the ice is harder then the paint that i used. so i was told by one of my coworkers that good will should have them, what do you know they do. take a look at a good will store. the skies that i found were all around 10 to 15 $. i will be back to buy a set. looks good and good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.