Author Topic: Just Curious - Salmon  (Read 3512 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Just Curious - Salmon
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2020, 11:15 AM »
As far as $$$$ is concerned,  I don't see how that even makes sense. They could bring in a lot of winter revenue if they allowed salmon through the ice.  Same as if they got rid of the trout pond restrictions and two trap lakes.

I personally would love to try for samon and lakers as well as hit some native brookie ponds. I'd spend all kinds of $$$$ on food, bait, gas and lodging. At a time of year when the vacation economy is not producing much.
When I do my saltwater trips to RI, I go after tourist season is done and businesses are struggling. I typically make at least one long weekend and spend plenty $$$$.

Those restrictions are what discourage me. I would still release most of my salmon and brook trout. I'd just want to use my five traps, hit some trout ponds and maybe have the option to at least snap a quick pic of a decent salmon.

Having said that, NH obviously just feels trout and salmon are too vulnerable to ice fishing. I actually agree with that and support their effort to manage their fishery wisely. They pass up the chance for more money to protect the stocks.
Not alot of state put fish before revenue.

The problem is that sure, you can spend a lot of $$ and catch some salmon. But then EVERYONE will be catching salmon, and if/when the population crashes, all those anglers and their $$ will go somewhere else, perhaps MAINE or VERMONT.

If the state has to supplement the LLS population with stocking every year then there is evidentially a problem with the fish stocks and their natural reproduction. They are doing what they should do to "maintain" a viable population of fish.
By allowing salmon to be fished year round, it would put additional stress on the population.

Oh, and here in MA, they only have regulations for species-specific fishing in our major reservoirs.
Everywhere else it's all a "put & take" fishery. They put them in for us top take them out. MA has essentially given up on salmon and basically any "self-sustaining" fishery in the state.

Now that's all for the $$!!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2020, 12:07 PM »
It's unrealistic to think that a lake can produce trophy caliber fish when it has rainbows, lakers, and salmon in it. I think the state wants it all, but it's just not doable. Wouldn't you rather catch a 10lb laker or a 5lb rainbow over a 3lb salmon? A three pound salmon is very fun to catch but it's not really a big fish, and crap you can't even get a picture of it through the ice. Winnipesaukee should be able to produce large #s of trophy trout, yet it rarely coughs up a 10lb laker or a 5lb rainbow, or a salmon over 5lbs.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2020, 12:19 PM »

All the talk of $$$$$ spent if seasons were changed - Fish and Game would see very little if any additional income. All "new monies" would flow into the General Fund. F&G doesn't get even a small percentage of say the room and meals tax. You get the idea. That's why the department is the poor child living on a shoe string!

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:03 PM »
Most of ME and all of NH & VT have the same Landlocked Atlantic salmon. In fact, a lot of those salmon were derived from Sebago Lake salmon genetics. ME still has a few sea run Atlantic salmon also.
Re: spawning season, less than 2% of NH's salmon are spawned naturally.The rest are all stocked.

I didn't know that... always assumed (my fault with assuming) that it was the spawning. 2% is really low!

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:03 PM »
White perch ..or Crappie..through the ice. Which tastes better ?

I am going to say white perch but that's because I never get on any crappie... it's mostly white perch for me. I am sure crappie tastes amazing!

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:04 PM »
Yup!
Especially when you can get into some slabs like these! Yum. (From last weekend)

Great looking fish right there!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:35 AM »
I've only come to the salmon trolling game recently besides the few times my father took me back in the day. I just use lead core (no down riggers) and I troll from my tritoon boat.
I see people doing the same with kayaks on up to the commercial guys and all their equipment. ANYONE can go out there and troll with a boat and a license. That said, the statement of it being "rich man's game" is baloney! I have done pretty well after a very generous, long time salmon fisherman invited me aboard his boat a few years back to show me some tips...he even handed me some of his flies at the end of our outing. That's what the sport is about.
My wife and I have decided to start looking for a better "fishing" boat that gives some protection from the elements VS the open pontoon boat but my point is that anyone can get out there and have fun, There have been times when my wife and I have been hooked up in the middle of the guide boats and had our limits by 8am and the guys in the guide boats would be hollering congrats to us after watching us being successful. Again, sportsmanship rules the day.
Yep, I’ve done it myself in a leaky, 14 ft POS John boat and a 5 horse.
I don't like the "rich man's game" theory either.  :(
You can use what you have or are willing to spend on the sport. It's all relative! At ice out, you can catch salmon from shore or even bridge fish, if that's your thing. Consider bass fishing? You can catch bass with one rod from a dock or spend tens of thousands of dollars on just the go fast boat. To each their own.
Personally, I've never been jealous of anyone that had more than myself. And, there's a lot of those out there! If I wanted something, I'd work hard to get it. If I knew it was beyond my means, I put it out of my mind, DONE!
To put the subject in an IS perspective, all you "need" to go ice fishing is your grandfather's or yard sale spud, an ice scoop and a jig stick! How many of us on here, strike out with just those?
Mow, both lead core and riggers are good tools to have in the arsenal. I've seen plenty of days when they fished about equal. Have also seen days when one definitely out fished the other. I've been out the day after one of those days, and had it reverse!
I have a good friend who trolled for decades like it was his job! He was an excellent troller and kept meticulous records of each outing. Besides fishing with him often (in several states) I was privy to his "annual reports/logs". Ultimately, the riggers out fished the cores.
There are other ways to get depths from line, like dipsies, trip Z's, jet & slide divers and dive bombs etc..
It's all about what fits your program and suits your fancy.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:18 AM »
Well said CD... It's all about effort, just like the money thing, it's all about effort...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:55 AM »
I don't like the "rich man's game" theory either.  :(
You can use what you have or are willing to spend on the sport. It's all relative! At ice out, you can catch salmon from shore or even bridge fish, if that's your thing. Consider bass fishing? You can catch bass with one rod from a dock or spend tens of thousands of dollars on just the go fast boat. To each their own.
Personally, I've never been jealous of anyone that had more than myself. And, there's a lot of those out there! If I wanted something, I'd work hard to get it. If I knew it was beyond my means, I put it out of my mind, DONE!
To put the subject in an IS perspective, all you "need" to go ice fishing is your grandfather's or yard sale spud, an ice scoop and a jig stick! How many of us on here, strike out with just those?
Mow, both lead core and riggers are good tools to have in the arsenal. I've seen plenty of days when they fished about equal. Have also seen days when one definitely out fished the other. I've been out the day after one of those days, and had it reverse!
I have a good friend who trolled for decades like it was his job! He was an excellent troller and kept meticulous records of each outing. Besides fishing with him often (in several states) I was privy to his "annual reports/logs". Ultimately, the riggers out fished the cores.
There are other ways to get depths from line, like dipsies, trip Z's, jet & slide divers and dive bombs etc..
It's all about what fits your program and suits your fancy.

Great post CD! We do have a new “weapon” to try out this coming season...the guy that manufactures the SKIJIGGER is back in business and we bought one before Christmas. Looking forward to see how it works for us...he is also selling streamer flies as well. I guess his father was a local legend in that area.
If you are a salmon fisherman you probably know who I’m talking about but if not, PM me and I’ll give you his information.

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:14 PM »
good point Roccus and lv2.. I also have caught 25 -30lb kings.. on Ontario and that's quite an "animal". reminds me of catching a small tuna. However, getting a 5lber on a tiny ice rod is quite the ride as well. Especially when you're not planning on it or targeting them...

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:11 PM »
The Kings are a blast! I love the couple long runs they make on 15 lb line. I’ve caught a ton of those 25+ pound fish. I actually prefer to hook up on Silvers or Steelies out there, far better fight with more action during imo. All better than anything here though. I’ve caught some absolute slob Browns out there to that are well past the football shape and just deformed lol. I miss fishing NY before kids and mortgages I useto but my non res license and head there Friday mid day and head home to be at work 6 am Monday and fish non stop I don’t think I could physically do that now anyhow.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:32 PM »
Great post CD! We do have a new “weapon” to try out this coming season...the guy that manufactures the SKIJIGGER is back in business and we bought one before Christmas. Looking forward to see how it works for us...he is also selling streamer flies as well. I guess his father was a local legend in that area.
If you are a salmon fisherman you probably know who I’m talking about but if not, PM me and I’ll give you his information.
I've chased a few salmon. I know exactly who you're talking about (Paul). That ski jigger will definitely help your core fishing. I've fished with a few different friends that use and swear by them. I never owned any, cuz I was usually pulling 2 or 3 cores on each side with Otter boards. His streamers are very well tied and effective. Note: Don't over look single flies tied by others. They work well all season. Not just when the YOY are prevalent.
Well said CD... It's all about effort, just like the money thing, it's all about effort...
True statement, Stealth!

I've reeled in a few of those big Lake O Kings. You know you have a real good one on, when your rigger rod has 1,000' of line on it, your almost spooled and you have to turn the boat around.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:54 PM »
I've chased a few salmon. I know exactly who you're talking about (Paul). That ski jigger will definitely help your core fishing. I've fished with a few different friends that use and swear by them. I never owned any, cuz I was usually pulling 2 or 3 cores on each side with Otter boards. His streamers are very well tied and effective. Note: Don't over look single flies tied by others. They work well all season. Not just when the YOY are prevalent.
Single hook streamers is all I have been using per the recommendation by the gent that took me out to give me hands on tips!
When the bite has shut off I have tried tandems with no luck...not sure I’ll change just yet! Besides, Paul said he would tie anything for me on request!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.