Author Topic: Reel getting Stiff in Cold  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Riffer

• IceShanty Rookie
Reel getting Stiff in Cold
« on: Dec 09, 2007, 03:56 PM »
So yesterday I went is fishing for the first time in a couple years, and I bought a new rod/reel combo, and when we got out there my reel felt alot stiffer than it did at home, the guys I was fishing with said that it might be the grease they put on it at the factory getting thick in the cold weather, so what should I do? (it's a Quatum Ice XS if that helps at all)

Thanks

CSP88

Re: Reel getting Stiff in Cold
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2007, 06:00 PM »
Take it apart and clean all the grease out.  When you have it cleaned out put a couple drops of Quantum Hot Sauce on the gears and you are good to go.....no more sluggish reels.

Chad

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:42 PM »
For winter use, clean out the grease with WD40 or blaster. Dont use carb or brake cleaner because these will melt
the plastic that most of todays reels are made of (learned that the hard way). I personally replace the grease with sewing machine oil. Just a few drops will do. I hear a lot of guys will just use WD40 for the lube with no problems. If you use your reels in summer and winter, I would take them apart again in the spring and reapply the grease for warm weather use.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Riffer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:07 PM »
How do I take it apart, I afraid of opening it up, then having gears and bearings fall out.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:33 PM »
Refer to the owners manual or parts diagram. If you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself, have someone do it for you. You wont regret the trouble when you get it out in the cold.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:19 PM »
i got something that works better than any icefishing reel oil!!!    its called "Molly Power" even if it gets wet it drys pretty much istantly and goes back to a power the stuff is amazeing!!
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum