Author Topic: Trap Runner Kits  (Read 2273 times)

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
Trap Runner Kits
« on: Nov 28, 2007, 05:15 PM »
I've been thinking about putting on a set of runners on my Trap Pro.  Has anyone had luck with them?  Do you have a bunch of screws comming in through the bottom of the sled?  Life of the bottom last longer by using them?  Pros/Cons??  Fill me in.

This is what I'm talking about:
http://www.thornebros.com/winter/shelters/clam/runner_kits.html

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Trap Runner Kits
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:28 PM »
Are you pulling by hand?  If so, I would definately think twice about putting them on.  I have them on my Guide.  While they will make the base sled last much, much longer, they make it difficult to pull in snow.  The grooved runners pick  up snow and it gets very tough to pull.  Instead, I would get some strips of UHWM plastic and put those on instead, they'll still protect the base and slide much better.  That is what my plan is for this year.  If you are towing, the Trap runners rock.  They track straight and are tough.  Just depends on how you are using it. 

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:33 PM »
I had the runner kits on my guide and didn't like them. So I sold the guide. lol. I put the UHMW on my otter sled and love it.  I agree with the previous post, the grooves pick up snow and slush and make it harder to pull by hand.
Ken                                          

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2007, 02:55 AM »
How thick were the strips you guys put on, & how did you mount them?  Any pics would be nice!

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2007, 06:16 AM »
I got some 1/8" by 3/4" aluminum at the scrap yard and bent it to the shape of my raised sled runners. Then drilled holes every 6" and tapped them to #10-32. I used stainless cap head screws and ran them from the inside out. There was a little bit of screw sticking out past the aluminum so I ground them flush. I see some sleds now come with aluminum runners, but this has worked good for me. Hope this helps.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2007, 06:33 AM »
How thick were the strips you guys put on, & how did you mount them?  Any pics would be nice!

I only put on the 1" wide strips that were 1/4" thick on my otter, but the otter sled bottom is different than the guides. You could put 2" wide strips on the guide.  I bought stainless steel flat head machine screws with matching nuts. I think they were 3/4" long screws. I drilled holes for the screws, then used a bigger drill bit to remove just enough(countersinking) so that the flat head screws would be flush with the bottom of the UHMW.  Here's a post from last year on this subject-->  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=37407.0
Ken                                          

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2007, 06:37 AM »
Have been kind of wondering about the mounting myself. I have material similar to the UHMW that I use to redo the edges on my snow shovels with and was going to use strips of it on my sled. Was going to counter sink the holes and use #6 flathead screws to attach the runners. If I bring the counter sunk screws up from the bottom through the material and use nylock nuts on the inside how do you deal with the protruding threads and nuts on the inside bottom of the sled?? Should I use large flat washers to prevent the possibility of the nut/screw from pulling through the sled?? BTW, very nice job b-b  :thumbsup:
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:14 AM »
If I bring the counter sunk screws up from the bottom through the material and use nylock nuts on the inside how do you deal with the protruding threads and nuts on the inside bottom of the sled?? Should I use large flat washers to prevent the possibility of the nut/screw from pulling through the sled?? BTW, very nice job b-b  :thumbsup:

With my otter sled, the nuts are only in the way near the leading edge of the sled. The other nuts are recessed in the bottom of the sled tracks that are built into the otter. I can't recall how they'd be on the fish trap guide.  I don't think you'd have to worry about putting washers on.
Ken                                          

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:18 AM »
I have the runner kit on my guide and could do without it since I pull by hand.  They do make it track straighter and would be great if pulling with a sled or atv.  I used the same UHWM that Bean used for my Trap Pro and love them. You will not notice the small screws in the bottom of the sled since they will sit inside the receased part of the runners on the bottom of the sled. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:01 PM »
Thanks for all the input!

Offline bentrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2007, 12:29 PM »
I have the UHMW strips, 2" wide on my Trap Pro. I used flat head, 8mm screws 3/4" long. On the inside I used 2 washers, a large with a smaller on top. Don't countersink too deep because the screws will pull into the UHMW a bit.

I haven't pulled it yet, but the material seems slick and I know it will track better. I know my Trap Prow was going to wear out soon, it doesn't take long, and with screws I can always replace the runners easily if need be. I have about $25 into the project.

Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.