Author Topic: Ice Stopper system  (Read 2411 times)

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice Stopper system
« on: Nov 15, 2007, 05:30 PM »
Curious if any one has tried this.
http://www.cansportrecreation.com/index.html

Looks interesting.  But, wonder how environmentally friendly the solution is??

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Stopper system
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2007, 06:19 PM »
I would try calling the company and seeing what the substance is in it.  Kinda looks funky to me, let me know if it works or what you find out
                                                               sticks

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2007, 02:11 PM »
I will bet the solution is alcohol as that would float on top of the water in the tube.
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2007, 02:36 PM »
I have contacted (Emailed) the company concerning their "solution".  I'll post their responce, If I get one.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2007, 06:42 PM »
I will bet the solution is alcohol as that would float on top of the water in the tube.
Not sure about the alcohol thing. Alcohol is completely water soluble and would disappear quickly.
Ive heard of guys using a little bit of vegetable oil in their holes, as it will float. But I think it would make a mess on your line and lures when pulling in and out. That might be a good thing too, as the vegetable oil might keep you line and guides from building ice. And considering it is food grade, it shouldn't be harmful to the environment.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2007, 04:17 PM »
OK, I did receive an answer to my questions :

My Questions were as follows

How environmentally friendly is your solution?  If I took a bottle and dumped it in my fish aquarium, would it kill my fish? plants? , leave an oil slick?

What effect would your solution have on fishing line?

Would YOU feel safe drinking this solution?????

The answer I received:

The question is how environmentally friendly is our Ice Stop solution.

Our formula uses  the same components  common to RV anti-Freezes available at most hardware stores. RV anti-freezes require food grade safety as they are intended to be used  in potable water supplies and are most routinely flushed  away after use  into  sewers and waterways as a result of the equipment they are being used in. Boats, Houseboats Camper trailers etc. These products have been determined to be safe for this intended use as they are sold by the 100`s of thousands of gallons to retail consumers all across north America. The two most common ingredients  of Non-toxic  anti freezes are Propylene Glycol and Alcohol in varying combinations and formulas for different applications.

Propylene glycol is a regular additive in many human pharmacuticals and items used in human consumption. I will use food flavorings for baking  as an example.This should give you an idea of it`s relative enviro- friendliness. Feel free to research it`s toxicology on the Internet.
As for alcohol, for reasons of flammability and effect on the line  we must  be cautious with alcohol use considering our intended purpose. There are also some alcohols that are not so  enviro friendly. We don not use any of those alcohols in our formula.

There is a saying in toxicology and it is " It`s the dose that Makes the poison"   For example table salt in  large heavy doses ingested regularly is not good for humans and can kill you. However most of us use  salt as a regular part of our diets and live healthy lives.  This same analogy would hold true for your fish aquarium. Although Propylene Glycol has very low toxicity to fish I`m not sure they could  enjoy a long life if they were swimming in a concentrated solution. A bottle in an aquarium would be millions of times more concentrated than our application.

Ingestion  of our ICE Stop solution by a human or family pet would not be a recommended excercise however accidental ingestion  would be un-likely to have any serious or long lasting effects on the individuals. 

We have also been careful to eliminate any components to our formula that had any effect on line strength .  We have tested the majority of types of lines by soaking them in  our Ice Stop Solution for 10 days or more with no difference in line integrity of strength. Ice Stop does not leave a film or oil slick as it is water soluble.

Take Care
Darin H.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2007, 04:31 PM »
give it a shot, they had a very resonable response

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2007, 05:37 PM »
My opinion is...There's enough stuff in our waterways already, why add more to it.  Like I said, that's just my opinion.

Ingestion  of our ICE Stop solution by a human or family pet would not be a recommended excercise
Ken                                          

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.