Author Topic: scout rack on the quad  (Read 3782 times)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
scout rack on the quad
« on: Mar 05, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Here is a little project I worked on today. I still need to trim up a couple of the boards and paint it,but this will give you an idea for now.... I took the sled from my old fish trap and screwed it ot the wood frame ,my fishtrap scout fits in it perfectly. We recentlt got about 12 inches of snow and I dont like dragging the shack behind the quad in that much snow.

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: scout rack on the quad
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:20 AM »
Great idea, just wonder how many people have a sled from an old trap lying around.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2007, 10:09 AM »
Im planning on making a rack that slides into my receiver....and is similar to one of those tailgater racks. then just bungee cord or strap it down, that will place it 14" or so off the ground....

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Im planning on making a rack that slides into my receiver....and is similar to one of those tailgater racks. then just bungee cord or strap it down, that will place it 14" or so off the ground....
Unless you have a travel cover for it I highly suggest going higher than that. Even where mine is it gets filled with snow if I spin the tires.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:43 PM »
Great idea, just wonder how many people have a sled from an old trap lying around.

Thanks it seems to be pretty slick so far. I will know more about how well it works after this weekend.Making a 400 mile round trip with it in the back of the pickup.Going to fish a ice tourney championship I qualified for.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:54 PM »
Used it t his weekend,put 4o rough miles on the quad.worked pretty good,need to switch to a stiffer board mayby.It gets a bit bouncy on the big bumps.

Offline thereeltruth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2007, 08:10 PM »
Nice! I like the rustic look, and the practical aspect. It gives me ideas on what to do with my ATV, I have a drop rack with a HD rectangular plastic box in it (old hydraulic porta-power box). My problem is the rack is 50lbs, alone... so I have to come up with something that will not hang out too far. When I take the folding plywood shack out, I throw it on the super-x-otter cart and it stays in place with blocks that fit inside the box of the cart and one bungee. I need to get my trap set up like yours. You may need 4x4s or go vertical or angular.... If it works, it's all good.... Thanks for sharing the pics and the inspiration.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2007, 02:05 AM »
I do have the cover for mine, and I have 12" clearance under the sled, plus im going to lift it another 12" or so before the rack goes horizontal.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2007, 11:16 PM »
I do have the cover for mine, and I have 12" clearance under the sled, plus im going to lift it another 12" or so before the rack goes horizontal.

Just a heads up, you want as much clearence in the back as you can get in the deep stuff ;D

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2007, 12:34 PM »
hey stumper i would add a cross brace to the bottom of your system under the shanty and run a support beam from that cross member to the hitch area, not sure how to attach it right now, but something like that might work.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2007, 12:39 PM »
Funny this thread would re-appear today, I just finished rebuilding my rack on my new quad yesterday. I used aluminum channel this time instead of 2x4's. I will try to get some pics up tonight.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:14 PM »
Here yah go...

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:33 PM »
wow! that looks great, definitely sturdy now
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.