Author Topic: Pop-Up Shack wooden floor or foam mats???  (Read 746 times)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Pop-Up Shack wooden floor or foam mats???
« on: Dec 30, 2021, 11:42 AM »
I’m going to do a few overnight ice trips this season with my 650XD. Not sure which route i want to go. Wooden floor, or foam mats. I was thinking about laying a tarp down, then placing the interlocking foam mats down. But then thought they may freeze to the ice?? Any thoughts or input?? 
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Pop-Up Shack wooden floor or foam mats???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2021, 12:25 PM »
Tarp would make floor slide i think. I vote for foam with armorall on underside?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2021, 12:40 PM »
Foam
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2021, 01:20 PM »
It all depends on how long you want to stay out.  If it’s just 1 or 2 nights I would say use the foam or I actually prefer indoor outdoor carpet because it doesn’t tear apart when it freezes down.  If I’m in a popup for more than 3 nights I’m bringing my floor and blocking.  Make sure to elevate your heater and use some aluminum foil to help deflect the heat away from the ice to help slow the puddle. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline remyjames23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2021, 02:00 PM »
I have the same hut and use foam with no issues. I have never had a mat freeze into the ice or anything like that. They are light and fit into the bottom of my big jet sled perfectly. I walk my gear out almost every time so the weight is the big thing for me. I cover the floor almost completely and the mats combined with the insulated shelter, I don't run a heater at night and stay warm in my bag even when it is below 0.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2021, 02:01 PM »
I vote foam if you must… but good boots and a little table to get thins off the ground works as well
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2021, 02:08 PM »
Foam, if it's really cold it would still freeze in but no big deal.  Just foam matts.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2021, 02:32 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas!! I’ll prob go with the foam mats. I’ll only be doing overnights.I don’t foresee any multiple nights excursions. My biggest hesitation was them freezing to the ice.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.