Author Topic: Unspooling  (Read 8066 times)

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
Unspooling
« on: Mar 10, 2017, 09:15 PM »
 Some of my tipups are unspooling due to the weight of my baits  12"+
I'm wondering if there is something I can do or if it being spooled clockwise/counter clockwise?
Any suggestions guys?   
Thx

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
Re: Unspooling
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2017, 09:29 PM »
How can a fish spool your tipup without tripping the flag? If it is tripping your flag you could clip the tail fin with scissors and stab the tail so it bleeds, that'll slow'em down and bring in the lazy ones looking for a crutched up meal.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2017, 09:43 PM »
Not a fish   the bait is unspooling it backwards till the bait hits the bottom     all I use is deadbait   

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2017, 11:10 PM »
Try a small float
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2017, 07:15 AM »
What kind of tipup are you using? I've hung up to 15" deads on Polars and Windlass with no problems. There are a couple of setting tricks for them. On stick type tippys you may have to use a rubber band.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2017, 07:42 AM »
May want to give this a look see.
Just do it shorter than this guy is doing. works for me.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:52 AM »
The windlass I have  no issues    it's just the stick ones  some don't hold the heavy baits the unspool backwards

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2017, 08:55 PM »
please forgive me but I can't get this to sit correctly in my head.   As stated, the bait is unwinding backwards....right?   So the reel will only turn 1 revolution before hittin the trigger and STOP cause it's tryin to push the flag on,   instead of off!   Please  cypher this for me please???  O.P.    :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:06 PM »
please forgive me but I can't get this to sit correctly in my head.   As stated, the bait is unwinding backwards....right?   So the reel will only turn 1 revolution before hittin the trigger and STOP cause it's tryin to push the flag on,   instead of off!   Please  cypher this for me please???  O.P.    :tipup:
im not getting how this is happening either, so is the dead bait floating in such a way that it unspools without tripping the flag or spinning the spool? That would be impossible on the tipups I own which is probably why im not getting it.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2017, 10:14 AM »
The trigger mechanism at the top is not moving at all  its just the Dacron unspooling until the bait hits the bottom
As it unspools off of the spool it spins the line holder as well backwards    hopefully that clarifies it bit   lol

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2017, 01:40 PM »
For guys not understanding, take the Beaver Dam tipups for example, they have a metal arm the line goes through.  You can take the line and unwrap it without turning the spindle the spool is on by unwinding in large circles, not pulling straight down, thus turning the inner spindle to trip the flag.  Minnows at the end of a line tend to swim upwards, then to one side so larger ones can easily turn the arm to unwind the line.  This is why Beaver Dams have a black O ring above the arm, to put pressure on it so it doesn't turn eaisly.  I use a sinker above my leader, which keeps them relatively stationary because they aren't strong enough to lift the weight of sinker so their circular patterns are kept below the height of the sinker.  You can also put a rubber band or something above the spool to keep the line arm from easily turning.  I often wondered how I would end up with my minnow in the weeds and a little more line let out then I recall until my buddies Dad pointed it out a couple years ago. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2017, 02:09 PM »
For guys not understanding, take the Beaver Dam tipups for example, they have a metal arm the line goes through.  You can take the line and unwrap it without turning the spindle the spool is on, thus turning the inner spindle to trip the flag.  Minnows at the end of a line tend to swim upwards, then to one side so they can easily turn the arm to unwind the line.   I use a sinker above my leader, which keeps them relatively stationary because they aren't strong enough to lift the weight of sinker
I could see that happening with live bait but he says he uses only big dead bait. In any case a rubberband or small spring clamp would definitely work to keep the arm from moving as already stated. Maybe he's fishing with zombie minnows...

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2017, 02:29 PM »
Ahh, you're right, that is odd, but the same physics are taking place somehow and the fix is the same.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2017, 04:08 PM »
So what do I do with the rubber band??

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2017, 07:19 PM »
If you didn't get it from the video link (so-so) here's some more help:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=266318.0

I'm a little confused now too. You're unspooling without tripping a flag? I'm not sure how that happens unless your core of line is slipping on the spool. I've seen that simulate "bad drag" problems. Are you using any sort of "super line"?

Of course not, as I re-read. You did say Dacron.

How's about a pic of the spool/trip mechanism on this device? That might help us understand the nature of the problem.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2017, 10:00 PM »
The rubber band goes above the arm on the post and is sinched down to keep the arm from spinning freely.  You want to use one of the wider and bigger binders that you wrap several times and have enough to go over spool.  I had a couple tipups that had metal tabs, which were basically clips you find on some writing pens, the ones that pop off, and those were used to keep the line arm on the tipup from spinning.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2017, 04:31 PM »
Install a planer board clip by your spool and clip your line into that after the bait depth has been set. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2017, 03:49 PM »
Hi all!   Any update on figurin this out and/or helpin our Brother?????  I'm still curious as to how it could unwind backwards!!   O.P.    :wacko:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2017, 06:34 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words.... can you post a pic of the business end of your problem child? Might be easier for us to deduce exactly what the issue is.

Failing that all that is left to us is your description on the problem (kinda sketchy) and our imaginations (wildly varied).  :wacko:

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2017, 06:46 PM »
I figured it out   I put those pen type clips on that fit over the line guide   it did the trick      thx for all the input
Really appreciate it

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Glue a clothespin on bottom of tipup if using 40 up style put line thru corner of clothespin. Been doing it this way a long time.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2017, 10:26 AM »
I had some trouble with this in the past, use these now and love 'em!

http://www.jacktraps.com/store.php/products/jack-traps-big-bait-release-clip-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.