Author Topic: cooking perch  (Read 5114 times)

Offline ice4me

• IceShanty Rookie
cooking perch
« on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:56 PM »
Ok...my doctor said I should eat more fish.... I'm 70.
In the past I always cleaned my perch and gave them away. Now I need to eat some of them. I usually fillet my perch but my buddies deep fry them and not fillet them. Said you loose too much meat. Regardless, anyone want to share some recipes they use for perch...filleted or otherwise...???
hot oil...cornmeal, breadcrumbs, pan fried, beer batter, etc......?????
  :whistle:

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: cooking perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:47 PM »
Boy, do you have the wrong forum for this post.  Unless you have figured a way to cook perch using the heat from your ice auger.

But I will share a recipe.  Saute the fillets in a mix of olive oil and butter.  Put them aside.  Pour some dry vermouth in the pan and some garlic (I use a garlic press).  Evaporate half or more of the vermouth, then add a little lemon juice.  Turn the heat off and swirl in a couple pats of butter with some dried parsley.  Pour over the fillets and enjoy.  Perch piccata, my favorite.

Offline ice4me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Hey , thanks. Caught a few dozen perch today in St. Albans and will try your suggestions tomorrow for supper!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2016, 04:36 AM »
I left out an important step.  Salt and pepper the fillets before sauteing!

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2016, 05:04 AM »
Coat them in Tempura then deep fry. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:55 AM »
Why is this under Augers?
<===Lefty===

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:02 AM »
I don't mind deep fried fish every now and then, but since I have NuWave oven, it's much easier then dealing with batter and oil.  I fillet and skin all my fish. I like using Italian bread crumbs, with some garlic powder and parmesan cheese.  I either soak my fillets in milk overnight, but sometimes I don't.  I generally dry the fillets on paper towels before I coat them with my mix.  Then I put them in the NuWave to cook them.  I usually put them on one side for several minutes, then flip them over and finish off for another minute or two. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:19 AM »
I like to fry mine, egg wash them and then italian bread crumbs.  It's super simple but tastes great and my little ones will eat it which is a bonus.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:18 PM »

??? ^^^ What "lefty" said ^^^  ???

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2016, 10:49 PM »
Ok...my doctor said I should eat more fish.... I'm 70.
In the past I always cleaned my perch and gave them away. Now I need to eat some of them. I usually fillet my perch but my buddies deep fry them and not fillet them. Said you loose too much meat. Regardless, anyone want to share some recipes they use for perch...filleted or otherwise...???
hot oil...cornmeal, breadcrumbs, pan fried, beer batter, etc......?????
  :whistle:

Using oil makes to much a mess. I broil them. put a thawed out fillet on a pan sprayed with pam. Salt, Pepper, a little Old Bay seasoning. Broil on high for 4min. Open put parmesan cheese on put back broil anther 3min. pull out then put a little butter on them. Enjoy. 👻

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2016, 12:30 PM »
Before this gets moved to 'Hardwater Cuisine', you may want to check this link below.  After that, you're already here.    :woot: :thumbsup:

25 pages of articles, YUM !

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=58.0

Happy reading, ice4me.       ;)2

sunniewally

« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2016, 03:38 PM »
frying magic and fry the fillets in butter or is I put oil in a cast iron pan and fry them.  fried in butter is my favorite. mis some cornflake crumbs and a little flour onion salt, lemon pepper, salt pepper,garlic salt.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2016, 09:04 AM »

cuz when yer 70, sometimes you forget were you're filing things, lol! No big deal, it'll get where it's supposed to be sooner or later. ;D

I was sittin on the couch trying to read a good book one evening while the Mrs was watching Martha Stewart. ( no, Really! she was watching and I was reading! )  Well, Martha was cooking a fish dish so I put the book down. First she dredged the fillets in flour. The flour makes the eggs stick to the fish better. Then she dips the fillet in egg and rolls it in panko. then she fried in hot oil for a couple minutes. Not too long but untill it flakes easy.

I tried it with some perch, bass, trout and even some pickerel. I used both panko or breadcrumbs but panko with seasoning is better. It's my go to and it's Martha approved, LOL!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2016, 12:56 AM »
In this part of the great lakes...

Cooking the best perch begins with the best way to clean them...

As far as perch and gills, we scale them, leaving the skin on.. Then fillet...

That's how all the best restaurants around here do their perch too..

The rest is up to you, me I like drakes beer batter, dusted with cornflakes crumbs... Deep fried in peanut oil...

<°)))>{

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2016, 07:57 PM »
Simple and good for you, drizzle olive oil on the fish and season with what you like

Get a stainless grill plate for your grill, mine is a weber paid like $30. Grill the fish until flaky. There is no batter, not much oil and no mess. We just cooked some fish tonight with deep fryer, I still like the grilling better, the taste is pure and better for you.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2016, 06:22 AM »
As has been asked already... Why is this under AUGERS  ???
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2016, 01:35 PM »
I just pan fry fillets either with a dash of oil or little butter with a sprinkle of nature seasoning , fry until golden brown , salt to taste
Occasionally I will bake them in condensed cream of mushroom soup, don't add water  , spred some of the soup on bottom of a glass pan place fillets on the soup then spred what's left Of the soup over fillets , 350 for approximately 30 min

Offline BAMF22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2016, 02:04 PM »
When your doctor told you to eat more fish, I don't think he meant "deep fried" fish.  Best way I know how is to fillet them out, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Heat a skillet with olive oil, thinly slice 2 cloves of garlic, fry the garlic till golden brown and then put in the fish.  squeeze lemon on the finished product and enjoy.
I wish I knew how to do this!!

Offline zebj25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2016, 09:33 AM »
I go simple with my perch....pan fry with a little butter and old bay...thats it

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:16 AM »
Pickling is another way to use up perch fillets. Or you can dice the fillets up and make a fish chowder.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Its hard to screw up a perch.  Its the best fish out there.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:23 PM »
buffalo perch     Dip in eggs, bread crumb. fry in oil or butter. Coat with hot sauce

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:30 PM »

Pan fry in butter , little nature seasoning till golden brown , salt to taste , or baked (fish spencer) I said like them baked in cream of mushroom condensed soup , spread soup on the bottom of the pan and what's left over spread on top of the fillets , no water need be added

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:28 PM »
A good recipe or dinks: clean and skin cook like shrimp. Back bone is soft enough to eat whole. Good with cocktail sauce.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.