Author Topic: Helix 5 DIY Ice Pack  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Sierra57

• IceShanty Rookie
Helix 5 DIY Ice Pack
« on: Sep 05, 2019, 03:20 PM »
So last year I purchased a Garmin Striker 4 and I'm not super thrilled about it anymore. This year I'm looking to upgrade to a Helix 5, but I have trouble swallowing the $500 price tag for their ice fishing bundle. Would it work fine to buy the regular Helix 5, their ice transducer and then mount it on an old vexilar genz pack or something of the like?  I'm fairly new to the whole using a graph ice fishing thing so I'm just checking to make 100% sure before I spend the money. Thanks for any input folks, and if anybody has any other cool ideas to mount something like this on I'd be all ears.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Helix 5 DIY Ice Pack
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2019, 03:32 PM »
I have the Garmin Striker 5 ice bundle, and I like it.  HOWEVER, I have a hole hop caddy on order as I think it will be the bees knees!

The guy's name is Stever Grandner.  He's on Facebook selling these.  He doesn't have one for the Garmin's yet, but he told me he would be coming out with one probably in September.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2019, 04:16 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Lots of Garmin chartplotter  units on sale ..Overton/Gander Outdoors ..with maps built in and ability to make maps of unknown lakes . Some other plotter/company offerings too

https://www.overtons.com/search?q=garmin+ice+bundle+&lang=default
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Sent you a PM.
JDL

Offline justinl8688

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2019, 10:24 AM »
Here is what I did to use my Helix 10 on the ice

&t=133s

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2019, 10:40 AM »
Go to store and press the buttons on both the 5 and 7 before you purchase.  I started with the 5 and after it was on the ice in the front corner of shack image was small to me.  Sold on craigslist for a used loss and upgraded to the 7.  Both mounted on Genz pack. 
Chirp XI-9-1521 transducer is the one to buy.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2019, 08:03 AM »
I did exactly that with my Helix 5 that I use open water. I had an old portable Piranha Max that I stole the shuttle for. Then installed a Ram ball like I have mounted on my boat. Got an ice ducer and volia! But I bet I spent more than $500 total, so...

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Just seems like a lotta crap to haul around.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.